WC: 2019 - Team Russia

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Canada has an extremely easy path to the gold medal game.

Swiss then Czechs while we will have to beat USA and Swe/Fin

Ok, but my guess is they won’t even overcome Swiss guys, and If they do, Czechs has scored almost 40 goals this year and beat Sweden. So they are not exactly cakewalk. Canada is good but they havent met skill and physicallity of other group yet.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada has an extremely easy path to the gold medal game.

Swiss then Czechs while we will have to beat USA and Swe/Fin
Swiss ain't easy,you are talking about a team that won the silver medal last year and came within a hair of winning gold, you are sleeping on them big time.They have been a better team here then the U.S, and if you take on the Finns next I would prefer that game to taking on the Czechs this year.

Your assessment is a little misleading, you are only looking at names of rosters and not actual play and in talking about Finland you are not even looking at the roster you are just seeing....."Finland" You should be jumping with joy if Finland manages to take Sweden down because they don't match up to Russia well this year at all.That's almost a gimme game

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
The only team who can beat team russia are them selves not showing up! Ridiculous good 2 period against Sweden!
Cant see any team threating Russia this year, they are in their own class!

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
no way - great defensive guy, but he was no way near Fetisov and Kasatonov's prime.

These greats were from an older generation.

Konstantinov is the best russian D i seen, too bad about the accident.

As a lifelong Wings fan, Konstantinov was probably the third best D of his generation, clearly behind Zubov, and also behind a peak Malakhov. Malakhov was a terror when motivated: 6'4" tall, 230lbs, physical, and one of the best skaters in the NHL. His 93-94 and 97-98 seasons were IMO better than anything Vlad put together, largely because his defense was equal to Vlad's while his offensive skills were much better. Malakhov was also especially dominant on the big ice, due to his phenomenal skating.

If only that 90's team had a coach that could unite them as Russians, instead of trying to exact vengeannce on them for "deserting" the dying Soviet union. What we could have seen:

Kamensky-Fedorov-Mogilny
Kovalenko-Zhamnov-Bure
(Yashin)

Zubov-Malakhov
Konstantinov-Mironov

All in their prime, at the same time. The mid and late 90's lineup blows the current Russian teams out of the water, not because the offence is at least as good, but because the D is so much better.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Swiss ain't easy,you are talking about a team that won the silver medal last year and came within a hair of winning gold, you are sleeping on them big time.They have been a better team here then the U.S, and if you take on the Finns next I would prefer that game to taking on the Czechs this year.

Your assessment is a little misleading, you are only looking at names of rosters and not actual play and in talking about Finland you are not even looking at the roster you are just seeing....."Finland" You should be jumping with joy if Finland manages to take Sweden down because they don't match up to Russia well this year at all.That's almost a gimme game
Swiss aren't easy if you aren't that strong. And the Finns are going down against Sweden.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Swiss aren't easy if you aren't that strong. And the Finns are going down against Sweden.
There must have been a lot of weak teams last year then including the gold medal winners as it took them having to go to a shootout to beat them . And yes, Finland is most likely going down against Sweden today but you never know and if they do and if Russia wins and plays them then then you can't possibly ask for a better match up in the semis, and even if you do get Sweden that is a team that you just beat handily.

My point remains.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There must have been a lot of weak teams last year then including the gold medal winners as it took them having to go to a shootout to beat them . And yes, Finland is most likely going down against Sweden today but you never know and if they do and if Russia wins and plays them then then you can't possibly ask for a better match up in the semis, and even if you do get Sweden that is a team that you just beat handily.

My point remains.
We beat Markström handily. And those second periods normally do not happen in bunches against a team like Sweden.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We beat Markström handily. And those second periods normally do not happen in bunches against a team like Sweden.
Markstrom is part of the team though, if their goal tending sucks then they most likely are a very beatable team, especially against a team that has high end game breakers offensively like Russia .And maybe scoring in bunches do not normally happen against a team like Sweden but it happened that day, it shows they maybe they are not this high end opponent that the poster I was responding to originally implied they were, just because they are Sweden does not automatically mean every edition they bring here every year is going to be top end.They lost to the Czechs here and Latvia and the Swiss gave them all they could handle too remember ? and don't forget, as you said.....................the Swiss are only tough when the teams aren't strong right?

Maybe Sweden isn't all that strong? again, my original point remains.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Markstrom is part of the team though, if their goal tending sucks then they most likely are a very beatable team, especially against a team that has high end game breakers offensively like Russia .And maybe scoring in bunches do not normally happen against a team like Sweden but it happened that day, it shows they maybe they are not this high end opponent that the poster I was responding to originally implied they were, just because they are Sweden does not automatically mean every edition they bring here every year is going to be top end.They lost to the Czechs here and Latvia and the Swiss gave them all they could handle too remember ? and don't forget, as you said.....................the Swiss are only tough when the teams aren't strong right?

Maybe Sweden isn't all that strong? again, my original point remains.
I do see the Swiss playing their heart out today and they might beat Canada. It's always the same with this format. You need to win one game to advance. Football fas are much more used to it maybe in the World Cup. North Americans basically have the same playoffs format everywhere except (american) football finals. Anything can happen today. It's not the group games anymore. Upsets are real.

From what I saw from Switzerland in this tournament though, they still lack depth. They let Josi out for example as 6th attacker. Josi is Josi, no doubt he is their best player, but still a defenceman. If they face a powerhouse they lose that drive fast they have against a bit weaker teams.

As for Markström I doubt he sees any playing time from now on unless an injury happens. So he is a part of a team, but he will be opening that bench door a lot and that's it.

I am aware Russia is deep in goal too and I have absolute confidence in our goaltending even if something happens to Vasilevskiy, but those are more like unlikely scenarios.

Sweden has got some reinforcements. Bratt's injury wasn't serious and he is back in it. I would't judge them by those early in the tournament games. Also the motivation should be there after they got spanked a lot in the swedish press after the loss to Russia.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I do see the Swiss playing their heart out today and they might beat Canada. It's always the same with this format. You need to win one game to advance. Football fas are much more used to it maybe in the World Cup. North Americans basically have the same playoffs format everywhere except (american) football finals. Anything can happen today. It's not the group games anymore. Upsets are real.

From what I saw from Switzerland in this tournament though, they still lack depth. They let Josi out for example as 6th attacker. Josi is Josi, no doubt he is their best player, but still a defenceman. If they face a powerhouse they lose that drive fast they have against a bit weaker teams.

As for Markström I doubt he sees any playing time from now on unless an injury happens. So he is a part of a team, but he will be opening that bench door a lot and that's it.

I am aware Russia is deep in goal too and I have absolute confidence in our goaltending even if something happens to Vasilevskiy, but those are more like unlikely scenarios.

Sweden has got some reinforcements. Bratt's injury wasn't serious and he is back in it. I would't judge them by those early in the tournament games. Also the motivation should be there after they got spanked a lot in the swedish press after the loss to Russia.

I agree with a lot of what you said here. The Swiss may lack the depth in terms of "name players" but we all know they are still a tough out, they play hard, skate well, are well coached and are skilled enough across the board to be opportunistic when you make mistakes or aren't playing with enough intensity, and they are more then capable of pushing pace and putting the good teams on their heels!! Like you said also, these are one game knockout affairs, and the Swiss are good enough to beat anyone here in that scenario.

And yes, Marksttrom will be opening the bench door today however. Lundy has only been average/below average to a bit above average so far this tournament depending on the game, swedish fans were almost to a man crying for markstrom to get the start last game.But with our without Lundy in net Russia is the favourite going into that game should that semi final match up play out.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Please Vorobyev, sit Kovalchuk next game! And maybe Ovechkin too. These two are dragging this team down and almost cost Russia a game against the USA.

Reactions: cska78

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Mogliny Fedorov and Bure - were expected to play together as a unit as far as I remember =)
And they did play together in the 1989 WJC and the 2000 WC (although this tournament was disastrous for Russia). Tikhonov himself claimed that he expected this line to be better than the legendary KLM line.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
My bad. I’ve mixed it up with the 1996 World Cup pre-tournament. I think that Bure got hurt though before the tournament started.

Yep. Russia had a lot of injury troubles in that tournament. Bure, Kamensky and Konstantinov were injured before the tournament, and Zhamnov and Zhitnik during the tournament. They had to play Igor Ulanov against the USA in the semis.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Yep. Russia had a lot of injury troubles in that tournament. Bure, Kamensky and Konstantinov were injured before the tournament, and Zhamnov and Zhitnik during the tournament. They had to play Igor Ulanov against the USA in the semis.
Yes. Tough luck for Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad