WC: 2019 - Team Russia

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
See?

Sweden wasn't so great after all.
See? As I wrote everyone can beat anyone in one game. Canada was that close to losing too.

I can only hope Russia won't take the Finns lightly. They can win an elimination game too obviously.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
See? As I wrote everyone can beat anyone in one game. Canada was that close to losing too.
Hey, all I am saying is that you were saying you just beat markstrom and I told you sweden might not be all that great and I gave you evidence why they might not be.

I was right ......what can I say?

game, set and match.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hey, all I am saying is that you were saying you just beat markstrom and I told you sweden might not be all that great and I gave you evidence why they might not be.

I was right ......what can I say?

game, set and match.
The thing is we won't get to see that, but I still doubt Finnland would win a 7 games series. Obviously the Finns deserved this one though and the Swedes deserve the sh...storm the'll get in the media at home after that performance. They basically lost every game against a big 6 opponent.

And oh, I fear for the mental state of some inadequate swedish supporters on here who claimed Sweden had superior coaching, best D in the tournament and just thrown the game against Russia to get a better matchup in the QF.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The thing is we won't get to see that, but I still doubt Finnland would win a 7 games series. Obviously the Finns deserved this one though and the Swedes deserve the sh...storm the'll get in the media at home after that performance. They basically lost every game against a big 6 opponent.

And oh, I fear for the mental state of some inadequate swedish supporters on here who claimed Sweden had superior coaching, best D in the tournament and just thrown the game against Russia to get a better matchup in the QF.
lol. Well, they are on their own as far as far as that goes.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I actually find myself feeling like a Tampa fan before the Jackets series - knowing we’re much better on paper and should win convincingly. Hopefully we avoid Tampa like letdown.

Reactions: Hint1k

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Interesting situation. If Russia plays with Canada in final then Russia will be the only one who played with all top teams on this tournament:
Czech
Sweden
USA
Finland
Canada

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Finnish style comes very troublesome to Russian type of play (can't call it style - there is none, even though the skill is there). I think this team fell victim to Ovi/Kovi names and influence, it could have been stronger if Kovi didn't make it (as he shouldn't have). Andronov/Telegin/Plotnikov should be a fullt time shut down line with some scoring. Wish Panarin/Radulov were here instead of Zub/Barabanov

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
For those who have seen Gavrikov develop and know how Russian defensemen have either succeeded or failed in the NHL, how do you rate him and who are decent NHL compatibles? I've only seen him in International play and the few CBJ playoff games.

thx

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
They had a Finnish reporter on the Totally Ice Hockey Show who went on and on about how wonderful Team Finland is, how the win over Sweden was an historic moment, and so on. And when asked if he thought Finland had any chance against Russia, his first words were, "No, I don't think so."

Reactions: Faterson

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They had a Finnish reporter on the Totally Ice Hockey Show who went on and on about how wonderful Team Finland is, how the win over Sweden was an historic moment, and so on. And when asked if he thought Finland had any chance against Russia, his first words were, "No, I don't think so."
:laugh:

A career in politics can't be far off for that guy.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Sorry, but as much as I like Kovy, he's done. Nowadays he became too slow, too soft and lost his shot. I hope it's his last presence for national team.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
Good bye Russia !

I am embarrassed....and i had it just have to admit that Russia as it seems will not get it together yet agian...whats wrong with Russia ?
What a poor perfomence , their passing was bad, all of a sudden Kucherov and Gusev did not know what to do and looked like they played togehter for the first time ? , Malkin looked like and old man (how many times did he pass the puck away? ) and Kutneskov looks slow and well i dont know what to say anymore.....

The first periode against the USA was maybe the best i have seen Russia play since the CCCP time. And when they entered the secon periode you could tell that yes this team again has the same meltdown than other good on paper Russian team

Their shoting today was so bad all the pucks was shoot right on the goalie.

I feel bad for Vlasi

Orlov, Barabanov and Telegin was the only one skating and working. Anisimov and Grigorenko? Come on

I will live the rest of my life with the memories of CCCP i cant take this anymore

Their goali and a promosing D is the only positive

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
As I said from the very start of the tournament, the terrible line combinations would be Russia's undoing against the better teams, and they were.

I will simply quote myself from posts I made in this thread last week to the guys arguing with me (like Atas2000):

Terrible lines.

Are they trying to neutralize Malkin's offense? Kucherov wasted on the third line? These guys played well together against Canada's best team at the World Cup, why split them after a couple jet lagged friendly games (where they looked dangerous together anyway)?

While he is still Russia's best center, Malkin is now 32 years old and no longer at his peak. "Loading up the third line" is no longer a viable option against elite opponents, as Pittsburgh has found out 2 playoffs in a row. Malkin needs support and skill on his wings to succeed now. Without that, his teams will (and have) failed.

The current lines are awful. Kucherov, the best winger, plays with the 3rd best C. Malkin, the best C, plays with the third line wingers. Grigorenko is a bottom 6er at this level and Dadonov is an average winger who is on the wrong side of 30. Only the Ovechkin line works.

I'm sure they'll dminate Norway and Latvia, but against Sweden and USA Kucherov and especially Malkin will be contained, as they don't have enough support on these lines. If Ovechkin fails to break through (as is often the case against elite international teams), they will not have a shot at gold this year.

My logic is to look at games that matter. Malkin-Kucherov played only one such game on the same line, against the top opponent in international hockey (Canada's World Cup NT), and they played very well. Their line even managed to score at even strength against the Canadians, which were a far better team than any we will see at this World Championship.

Malkin-Grigorenko isn't working. They produced nothing together at all, if we're talking about jet-lagged international friendly games that the players don't care about. Malkin-Gusev at least registered a point together, so why is Grigorenko still on Malkin's left wing?

The truth isn't pleasant. Kucherov, Russia's best winger, is playing with their third best C. Namestnikov doesn't belong in the conversation when it comes to higher level NT games. At least Kucherov will have an elite partner in Gusev though.

Russia's best Center, Malkin, should play with their best winger (Kucherov). It's a simple formula that most championship teams in history have based their lines on. If for some reason the coach wanted to split them up, then Malkin should at least play with the second or third best wingers (Gusev or Ovechkin). It's unheard of for the top Center to not play with any of the top 3 wingers on a team that features only 3 elite wingers. Instead, Malkin will play with a grinder and a barely above average NHL wing. Back in the day, Malkin could have carried this burden.

Now that he's clearly no longer at his peak, why put Malkin at such a huge disadvantage against the top teams in international hockey? It's a bad hockey decision. Too bad Russia doesn't play the Swedes in the first game, a good ass kicking sometimes scares some common sense into the morons behind the bench.

And the most important quote, to sum it all up:

Malkin and Kucherov will be "contained" by Grigorenko and Anisimov, respectively. The boys are going to have an uphill battle against the top teams with this current setup, which will sadly persist as Russia cruises past the Norways of the world through the first 6 games. Status quo for the national team, as far as piss poor Russian coaching goes.

I hate to say I told you so, I really do...but I told you so. Repeatedly.

As I repeatedly stated, Malkin needed at least one of Gusev or Kucherov to dominate this tournament. Instead, he was given a minor league player in Grigorenko to play with. This is the result.

Kucherov also needed someone better than Anisimov to make plays with in the offensive zone, and he didn't get that either.

The result is 100% on the incompetent moron behind the Russian bench, Vorobyov. Zero goals with this roster against a non-NHL team...only a fool of epic proportions like Vorobyov could manage that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Good luck in the bronze medal game. You certainly didn't half ass it out there, effort was there especially in defense, so many shots blocked and loose puck cleared. I won't go in to line combinations but to me this looked like a well coached team compared to the 2011 semifinal game.

Reactions: Stubu

jimstark

May 22, 2014
As I said from the very start of the tournament, the terrible line combinations would be Russia's undoing against the better teams, and they were.

I will simply quote myself from posts I made in this thread last week to the guys arguing with me (like Atas2000):

And the most important quote, to sum it all up:

I hate to say I told you so, I really do...but I told you so. Repeatedly.

As I repeatedly stated, Malkin needed at least one of Gusev or Kucherov to dominate this tournament. Instead, he was given a minor league player in Grigorenko to play with. This is the result.

Kucherov also needed someone better than Anisimov to make plays with in the offensive zone, and he didn't get that either.

The result is 100% on the incompetent moron behind the Russian bench, Vorobyov. Zero goals with this roster against a non-NHL team...only a fool of epic proportions like Vorobyov could manage that.

Well said and what you point out here you could see very well today. Malkin did nothing and could do nothing. Never been a fan of Anisimov and while Kucherov and Gusev did a great tournament they failed big time today when is mattered. Yet again the Russian got their teeth knocked out. They are badly coached as always. The sad thing is that next year will be the same. Anisimov will be there ( Russian coach seem to love him ) and Ovi if availeble will be there ...please stop Russia you have to think different so much talent just waisted ...just waisted...as you said 0 goals agianst a team with players mostly from the Finnish league. Had it not been for Vlasi the numbers would be even worse. Their D is starting to look better have to say that but overall this was bad just plain bad....

Reactions: Wings4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad