GDT: 2019 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Haven't we run 14-7 quite a few years? I think 13-8 is the most likely scenario, just because of the mix of players, but I don't want to count out someone finishing big and earning a forward spot.

Still looks like Verhaeghe and Volkov make it. I think Martel plays for Syracuse this year.

I really think it could go either way, 14/7 or 13/8 though I think JBB did say that he's comfortable carrying 8 D.

Think Verhaeghe will make it. Not sure about Volkov, Smith or Martel. Would have said Volkov was a lock, but he wasn't as noticeable aside from his goal in the last game he played. Smith showed some talent, grit and was one of the hardest workers out there. Martel... :dunno:

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I would've thought Stephens would have stuck around a little longer, but this is a good competition between who's left.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I totally forgot about Gemel Smith. Nice to see he's still in the mix, I like his game. Verhaeghe and Volkov appear to be the frontrunners to me, especially with Stephens being cut. Martel is a pretty good player but seems a bit redundant at this point. My gut says Witkowski will make the team just due to him being an ideal extra F/D that you don't worry about wasting away in the pressbox.

Guessing Martel, Smith and Rutta will be cut/waived.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I totally forgot about Gemel Smith. Nice to see he's still in the mix, I like his game. Verhaeghe and Volkov appear to be the frontrunners to me, especially with Stephens being cut. Martel is a pretty good player but seems a bit redundant at this point. My gut says Witkowski will make the team just due to him being an ideal extra F/D that you don't worry about wasting away in the pressbox.

Guessing Martel, Smith and Rutta will be cut/waived.

Cooper would never allow rutta to be waived he is the next sustr

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Cooper would never allow rutta to be waived he is the next sustr

You may be right, but I get the feeling Rutta is more of a Brisebois guy. Especially at 1 point whatever million, I just don't know if you can justify having him as an extra. That said, the only way he gains value is if he plays so who knows.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
There’s also still hope Rutta might find some groove and improve (heh). His NHL season was relatively short.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would've thought Stephens would have stuck around a little longer, but this is a good competition between who's left.

He needs to show he can stay healthy first. I don't think he's ever had a full season because he always gets some sort of injury. With Verheaghe needing waivers and Colton having a strong camp they really don't need that many centers around.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Martel goes down, Syracuse is going to be a goal-scoring machine.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Martel goes down, Syracuse is going to be a goal-scoring machine.

?

The guy has a career high of 40 points in the AHL. He's hit 20 goals in each of his 3 full seasons so him potting 20 again isn't far fetched. But I don't think he'll put up even Conacher numbers. Replacing Verheaghe with Martel is not a win for Syracuse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
?

The guy has a career high of 40 points in the AHL. He's hit 20 goals in each of his 3 full seasons so him potting 20 again isn't far fetched. But I don't think he'll put up even Conacher numbers. Replacing Verheaghe with Martel is not a win for Syracuse.

Yeah, I guess I didn't factor in losing Verhaeghe.

But still, 20 goals is good for the AHL. ABB, Raddysh, and Katchouk should all be improved, shouldn't they? It seems like the extra year often does wonders. Conacher shouldn't regress too much. It feels like there are going to be a lot of scorers there this year, if only because most of the guys we're expecting offense from were rookies last year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, I guess I didn't factor in losing Verhaeghe.

But still, 20 goals is good for the AHL. ABB, Raddysh, and Katchouk should all be improved, shouldn't they? It seems like the extra year often does wonders. Conacher shouldn't regress too much. It feels like there are going to be a lot of scorers there this year, if only because most of the guys we're expecting offense from were rookies last year.

It's hard to say. Verheaghe had 82 points last year, that's a lot to lose. Andreoff was at 55 and Dumont 46. We should replace those two with Mueller and Smith, Mueller had 65 and Smith 40 in 46 games. Barré-Boulet will be hard to top last year, he still will score but not sure he tops 30+ goals and almost 70 points. Raddysh should improve to 20+ 50+, Katchouk can't get any worse but his development took a bad turn somewhere last year and he needs to get it back on track.

We do have a bit more depth than last year with guys like Sommpi, Lohin and Yan being 4th liners. But still losing the scoring leader, your 1C and a guy who you could throw out there when you needed a goal and deliver is going to hurt. If we lose Volkov too that's another blow but Martel should be able to cover for that. If a guy like Colton can become a 1C or really good 2C will help. If Stephens gets back to his form that got him an All star nod as a rookie then we could take the loss a bit better.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's hard to say. Verheaghe had 82 points last year, that's a lot to lose. Andreoff was at 55 and Dumont 46. We should replace those two with Mueller and Smith, Mueller had 65 and Smith 40 in 46 games. Barré-Boulet will be hard to top last year, he still will score but not sure he tops 30+ goals and almost 70 points. Raddysh should improve to 20+ 50+, Katchouk can't get any worse but his development took a bad turn somewhere last year and he needs to get it back on track.

We do have a bit more depth than last year with guys like Sommpi, Lohin and Yan being 4th liners. But still losing the scoring leader, your 1C and a guy who you could throw out there when you needed a goal and deliver is going to hurt. If we lose Volkov too that's another blow but Martel should be able to cover for that. If a guy like Colton can become a 1C or really good 2C will help. If Stephens gets back to his form that got him an All star nod as a rookie then we could take the loss a bit better.

Agreed. But those are a lot of kids who should take a step forward, and/or be healthier (Stephens). But yeah, Verhaeghe, and to a lesser extent Volkov, will be a big loss.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Dude you're not even kidding.... AND Domingue in net at least temporarily. From a talent standpoint they look like a 50 win team

As we regretfully found out last season at both the NHL and AHL levels, all the goals, assists, points, and wins in the regular season mean nothing come mid-April. We have to hope that this past post season was a painful learning experience and the organization puts it behind them as just that.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
i havent been watching preseason but apparently verhaeghe looks like hes gonna make the team so thats cool

i dont like waiving masin.

also rutta is really good and idk why he gets hate on here

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Dude you're not even kidding.... AND Domingue in net at least temporarily. From a talent standpoint they look like a 50 win team

I doubt Domingue plays a game for Syracuse. Wedgewood got two starts in preseason which to me makes it seem like he's the clear #3. Martin looked good in his game too so he should get starts. There's just no need to play Domingue when he's not in your plans and the guys who are have looked good.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I doubt Domingue plays a game for Syracuse. Wedgewood got two starts in preseason which to me makes it seem like he's the clear #3. Martin looked good in his game too so he should get starts. There's just no need to play Domingue when he's not in your plans and the guys who are have looked good.
The scenario I think some people are thinking of: loaning a goalie like Martin out until Domingue is traded isn't very realistic. It can technically be done, but bringing a loaned player back during the season is pretty uncommon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad