GDT: 2019 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not just Palat, Johnson just isn't an effective center or offensive producer on his own anymore. He's been stapled to Point's wing the last 2 years and even with that his production is nothing to write home about.

I think we move on from both of them once their contracts/NMC's are up.

Yeah. I just think Palat has more impact on his teammates, so him being unable, for whatever reason, to be the Palat of old, has hurt a lot.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Not just Palat, Johnson just isn't an effective center or offensive producer on his own anymore. He's been stapled to Point's wing the last 2 years and even with that his production is nothing to write home about.

I think we move on from both of them once their contracts/NMC's are up.

He was our best even strength scorer last season? Given his contract I would say he is good value for the money. Had he been given Points PP time TyJo would've scored 40+ goals.

Yes Palat sucked last season but seems unfair to bundle TyJo with him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was our best even strength scorer last season? Given his contract I would say he is good value for the money. Had he been given Points PP time TyJo would've scored 40+ goals.

Yes Palat sucked last season but seems unfair to bundle TyJo with him.

That's not how it works, some people suck on the Power Play so it doesn't matter if you give them more minutes they're not going to produce. Johnson averaged 1:36 PP time a game and scored 1 PPG goal, you could quadruple that and he wouldn't score 40 goals.

I didn't say he was awful value, I said his regression as an offensive producer has limited our flexibility, he can only play and be effective next to Point where he's been stapled the last 2 seasons. We move on from him after his full NMC or his contract ends because once Point finds another linemate Johnson becomes an expensive ~40 point depth winger which is replaceable by cheaper players.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
That's not how it works, some people suck on the Power Play so it doesn't matter if you give them more minutes they're not going to produce. Johnson averaged 1:36 PP time a game and scored 1 PPG goal, you could quadruple that and he wouldn't score 40 goals.

I didn't say he was awful value, I said his regression as an offensive producer has limited our flexibility, he can only play and be effective next to Point where he's been stapled the last 2 seasons. We move on from him after his full NMC or his contract ends because once Point finds another linemate Johnson becomes an expensive ~40 point depth winger which is replaceable by cheaper players.

While that is true, it also depends who you played with etc, so I guess it depends how you look at it. Either way, 29 goals and I thought he played good overall, so I don't agree that is easy to replace with someone cheaper.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

So your Lightning game 1:

Forwards: 12
Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Verhaeghe, Maroon, Palat, Killorn, Joseph, Witkowski, Gourde, Cirelli, Smith

Defensemen: 8

Hedman, Schenn, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Cernak, Sergachev, Rutta, Coburn

Goaltenders: 2

McElhinney, Vasilevskiy

Injuried: 3
Point, Volkov, Paquette

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
With out Point for at least a few weeks what does our # 1 power play unit look like ? Stamkos, Johnson, Kucherov, Hedman and Gourde ?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
With out Point for at least a few weeks what does our # 1 power play unit look like ? Stamkos, Johnson, Kucherov, Hedman and Gourde ?
I think Johnson taking Point's position on the slot would be the most sensible option.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Impressions of Shattenkirk? I only noticed him for good things, but wasn't paying the closest attention.

Like he was created in a lab to play in this offense. Defensively he's been very solid, and based on the pre-season he'll be getting PP2 minutes.

Good choice by him to come here

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes. Although won't be Gourde. Maroon will get the first crack at being the net front.

That spot's not really net-front. It's more like corner/side/behind the net. I think it might be Palat to start the year, and I think Cirelli would be great in that role. Johnson in Point's bumper spot.

I think we might see Maroon on PP2 in front of the net.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Verhaeghe, Maroon, Palat, Killorn, Joseph, Witkowski, Gourde, Cirelli, Smith

McElhinney, Vasilevskiy

Point, Volkov, Paquette

defensemen 7

Scheen to Syracuse

Injured 2

Volkov to Syracuse

They will go with one extra Ruuta. I see them collecting Cap Space before sitting guys.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

McElhinney, Vasilevskiy

Point, Volkov, Paquette

Issue with that is we're over the roster limit by two. I assume Point will go on LTIR, but unless Paquette is also going on LTIR, we'll have to send someone down.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Don't see Witkowski lasting long at all, guy does not have the footspeed to be in the NHL, he was burned enough on his last stint here.

They might be throwing him a bone, thought his main role coming back would be like like Conachers in the AHL given his history.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Don't see Witkowski lasting long at all, guy does not have the footspeed to be in the NHL, he was burned enough on his last stint here.

They might be throwing him a bone, thought his main role coming back would be like like Conachers in the AHL given his history.

Did you watch the last preseason game? Witkowski looks significantly faster than his last stint with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad