Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 9

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Arsenal
Outgoing
Permanent: Nacho Monreal, Laurent Koscielny, Carl Jenkinson, Krystian Bielik, Alex Iwobi, David Ospina, Takuma Asano, Stephen Lichtsteiner, Aaron Ramsey, Danny Welbeck, Cohen Bramall, Petr Cech
Loaned, Likely Won't Return: Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Mohamed ElNeny
Loaned, Will Return: Eddie Nketiah, (William Saliba)
Incoming
Permanent: Nicolas Pepe, David Luiz, Gabriel Martinelli, Kieran Tierney, (William Saliba)
Loan: Dani Ceballos

Ultimately, a very solid transfer window. Add a bunch of young players and got rid of a ton of dead weight. While we spent a ton of money, it's mitigated in part because of the outgoing fees, in part because of installments, and in part because of wage reduction. Would have liked to see some more people offloaded, namely Mustafi, Xhaka, and Ozil, but we've apparently saved about 45M pounds annually on wages, so the total outlay was about 49 million pounds, and a lot of that is in installments. Plus, we have good chances to make a profit on Mkhi and Elneny next summer between obligations and options to buy.

I also think that there's a concerted effort to get younger. Sure, adding Luiz is the outlier, but he's more of a gap filler and probably won't be relied upon in the long term (Saliba/Holding is going to be the partnership if I had to bet, with Chambers providing the 3rd CB option). I'm hoping that we add another young CB next window (if Todibo is being shopped around.....).

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
With the purchase of Pepe, our attack is now set in stone. Yes, we can buy more depth up front but the next big purchase has to be a starting CB. Anything else would be considered a waste IMO. Having Saliba and Holding as prospects is all good but we can't have chumps like Luiz and Sokratis for more then a year.

Our backline is already a joke as it is and we're one injury away from looking like a clown show.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So between the winter window and this summer window United have done the following:

Left permanently: Fellaini, Herrera, Darmian, Lukaku, Valencia
Loaned out: Sanchez, Smalling
Brought in: James, AWB, Maguire

Not replacing Herrera is going to really come back to bite us in the ass. Obviously not a world class player, but he was responsible defensively and comfortable on the ball. Now we have to rely on Matic, Mctomimay and Fred to play that DM. And they either aren’t good on the ball or just suck and Pogba will be stuck with having to do all the transition work on his own basically.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not replacing Herrera is going to really come back to bite us in the ass. Obviously not a world class player, but he was responsible defensively and comfortable on the ball. Now we have to rely on Matic, Mctomimay and Fred to play that DM. And they either aren’t good on the ball or just suck and Pogba will be stuck with having to do all the transition work on his own basically.
I want to give Fred a chance this season. See if he can play next to Pogba.

Reactions: Aladyyn

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I want to give Fred a chance this season. See if he can play next to Pogba.

He's a strange one. There were several teams after him, and he was good in continental comps that I saw him in for Shaktar. Last season he looked like he's never played the game before. It was bizarre.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's a strange one. There were several teams after him, and he was good in continental comps that I saw him in for Shaktar. Last season he looked like he's never played the game before. It was bizarre.
He looked pretty good under Ole. Just wasn’t given much of a chance

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yea I’ve said before Hererra as one half of a double pivot (with Mctominay and Matic as the other half) would be a stable midfield with Pogba able to move forward a lot.

Hererra was very underrated while he was here.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yea I’ve said before Hererra as one half of a double pivot (with Mctominay and Matic as the other half) would be a stable midfield with Pogba able to move forward a lot.

Yup. Not world class by any stretch, but is almost a always net positive.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I think Fred can replace him if given the chance. Well maybe not replace him but is probably the best chance of replacing him based on style of play

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think Fred can replace him if given the chance. Well maybe not replace him but is probably the best chance of replacing him based on style of play

Yea I just don’t understand Fred. It wasn’t like he only played well in a farmers league before he was bought and other teams were interested so it wasn’t just Woodward being stupid.

But he’s been terrible for a good stretch at United. Showed flashes under Ole though, so maybe if he can stay healthy he can get back on track. Granted the fact that he can’t even make the team sheet doesn’t bode well.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yea I just don’t understand Fred. It wasn’t like he only played well in a farmers league before he was bought and other teams were interested so it wasn’t just Woodward being stupid.

But he’s been terrible for a good stretch at United. Showed flashes under Ole though, so maybe if he can stay healthy he can get back on track. Granted the fact that he can’t even make the team sheet doesn’t bode well.
He’s not fully fit yet as far as I know.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
About Olmo at Dinamo:

He wanted to leave this summer but the asking price was 40 million which nobody was willing to offer. Despite interest from many clubs (Ajax, Benfica, Milan, Leverkusen, Arsenal, United, Valencia mentioned) the only bid apparently came from Gladbach but nowhere near the asking price. His contract expires in 2021, Dinamo offering a new one which no way he will sign. Dinamo being in the CL takes the sting of him not leaving away a bit

Reactions: les Habs

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Never understood why United never played Herrera more. He started 17, 27, 13 and 16 league games in his 4 seasons there. At least according to transfermarkt he didn't miss much time due to injury either.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I was on vacation when Coutinho moved to Bayern. Probably not what anyone – least of all Coutinho himself – expected when he joined Barcelona. Seems tragic.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Never understood why United never played Herrera more. He started 17, 27, 13 and 16 league games in his 4 seasons there. At least according to transfermarkt he didn't miss much time due to injury either.

He's injured a lot. I loved him as a player, but he frequently picked up muscle injuries and would miss a couple weeks at time. Which then hurt his chances of cementing himself in the first choice 11.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Apparently Edu tried to sign Vinicius Jr. from RM this summer.

I bet it will be explored again this summer when he doesn't get game time.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Ceballos loan part 2?

It would be weird though because Arsenal already have young wingers trying to get that LW spot.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I mean, it isn't like he's going to Siberia.

Bayern could be good for him.
You're right, it's not Siberia. But he fought (faked injury) for a move to warm, closer-to-home for South Americans Barcelona. I'm sure his family wanted it too. Now they're in Munich and there are no other Brazilians or Portuguese on the team (to my knowledge). It's a great club and city but not what he left Liverpool for. Barcelona was his dream for years and it fell apart quicker than anyone could have imagined. That's tragic. I hope he figures it out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Holy **** yes, the lad is unbelievable. Not sure who he's supposed to replace though, though Auba isn't truly amazing out-wide you play him than leaving him on the bench.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's getting game time so it won't be explored. He's also been terrible for what it's worth.

He's a great dribbler but hasn't shown any end product yet. Still very young of course, but his final ball is extremely poor.

Reactions: Power Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad