Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 9

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think he is a bad option as a 3rd choice striker

He does not really do much in his minutes anymore outside of that time he scored against City last year in the CL. He also makes a ton of money for being 34, I would allocate that elsewhere imo.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He does not really do much in his minutes anymore outside of that time he scored against City last year in the CL. He also makes a ton of money for being 34, I would allocate that elsewhere imo.
I believe Utd's backup striker is Mason Greenwood? They need all the help they can get.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ribery to Fiorentina (2 years) is confirmed.
He's washed up, but I really like that deal for both parties.
They can’t afford 110 million to sit in the stands. What club could?
Just because Barca spent 110 million on him doesn't mean he's worth 110 million now. Of course they will try and get the most money they possibly can, but they also gotta understand that whenever they transfer him it will be a loss (or a team will absolutely be that stupid to pay the full amount). And I like him as a player.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Cadena SER says Neymar has privately informed PSG that he only wants to go to Barcelona. They're also saying that Barcelona is preparing to make another offer

Not sure if it's going to be anything other than another loan + obligation to buy type of offer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like how Liverpool fans are now downplaying Coutinho's ability.

Most likely, your team couldn't afford him. Bayern paid a lot of money on loan to sign him for one season, and the purchase option price is ridiculous, unless he has his career year. I don't think it's unrealistic to not want to pay the price that Liverpool was almost certainly quoted, but let's not make this about Liverpool refusing to sign Coutinho. They need another player to play in those attacking positions, and they could absolutely play Coutinho as a CAM, if he warranted starts in big games.

Liverpool went the cheap option this summer, which isn't surprising, considering the amount of money they spent the prior season. They can't spend like the two Manchester clubs, Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG can.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool have 0 interest in Coutinho. It's not just Liverpool fans that recognize his shortcomings either since his Barca stint.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I like how Liverpool fans are now downplaying Coutinho's ability.

I've always downplayed his ability. I've also always taken him in our drafts, but a player can still be nowhere near as good as people think they are and I'd take them in a fantasy team. There were people here posting on this forum who argued a Salah vs. Coutinho argument before Salah had played for Liverpool. I argued in favor of Salah and they argued the opposite. Clear who's right now but I'd rather not out them. Let's bring it back some years here.

:laugh:

Coutinho being good enough to play for Barcelona.

:laugh:

Speaks for itself. You can look at the date but it's before there was ever a transfer or rumor.

I'd sell Coutinho to PSG given that he didn't play his best once Klopp showed up, but I think I'd ask for a lot more money for him. He's not worth more, but PSG has it to pay.

Summer 2016. The offer wasn't even for a lot.

Rodgers completely changed the playing style around Benteke and the team went down the toilet. Pretty big difference there.

This team is nowhere near top four level and still there, and there's still people complaining about Klopp. So I find this conversation very amusing. If you have a player as good as you say Coutinho and Firmino are, you can't blame the manager for the team not being able to break down other sides. That is their job. And this conversation is being had while the best player at the club and the best midfielder there has been injured for months.

So, wrong about Firmino, but more proof I've always felt this way about Coutinho.

Then, in summer of 2017, I say that he's a great player. Which he is but that applies to about 100 players. Then I also say this.

The circumstances in which Coutinho would be sold this summer (130-150 million pounds) are not coming. At least I don't think anyone's dumb enough to offer that.

Coutinho isn't Liverpool's best player. Let's get that clear. But because he is from Brazil and plays midfield while scoring and assisting a lot he is of extreme value to any purchasing club.

You have to keep in mind that Liverpool fans, some of us anyway, watched him from 2013 on to the time he left. Then we kept watching him at Barcelona. I have seen him play well over 200 times now, and can tell you everything he is capable of doing and not doing.

Most likely, your team couldn't afford him. Bayern paid a lot of money on loan to sign him for one season, and the purchase option price is ridiculous, unless he has his career year. I don't think it's unrealistic to not want to pay the price that Liverpool was almost certainly quoted, but let's not make this about Liverpool refusing to sign Coutinho.

Let's rephrase that. The club decided they couldn't afford to invest their resources in a player who wouldn't play every game. Then, as the article clearly states with sourcing, Klopp thought we already had players in his position who should play in front of him. He's a classy guy and has said nice things about Coutinho, but he also clearly did not want a player on loan, and nobody in their right mind would spend 110 million on him.

They need another player to play in those attacking positions, and they could absolutely play Coutinho as a CAM, if he warranted starts in big games.

Liverpool went the cheap option this summer, which isn't surprising, considering the amount of money they spent the prior season. They can't spend like the two Manchester clubs, Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG can.

I think what you may not understand here, is that he is not good enough to play an important role for a team that wants to win trophies in difficult, hotly contested competitions that feature many teams with quality. He has been a passenger or worse for two seasons now, and Barcelona had the quality to carry him to trophies. Liverpool plays a team oriented game to the extent they cannot have a passenger on their team, and they cannot carry a player like that because they don't have Messi. It's pretty simple.

If you want to be Coutinho defense force, be my guest. He was not consistent enough for Liverpool to win anything when he was part of the team and they won things as soon as he left. When he left, the team made the CL final without even replacing him. He was not good enough for Barcelona in the least, and did absolutely nothing when the two teams played each other with one team forced to play a B team. He was physically dominated in every single way and looked like shit. That isn't the kind of player a big club should put any hopes in.

Also, the most important thing is they've replaced him. He was underrated at one point, grew in quality although not consistency, and lost his way. We don't use players like that.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
To bring it back to the quoted article:

• Bringing Coutinho to Anfield would cost 21 million total for Liverpool over the season. Finance wasn't the main stopping point, but rather because "that kind of outlay couldn't be justified for a player who so alarmingly lost his way last season", and Would he improve Liverpool's starting XI? The answer was a resounding no." Italics are quotes from Klopp's discussion with Edwards.
This is as clear as it gets.

He faked an injury while here as well and has no business wearing our shirt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You are moving the goalposts.

Coutinho is good enough to start for Liverpool, whether you consider him a passenger or not. There are plenty of passengers that are good enough to start for some of the best teams in the world. Liverpool is not required to play any specific way. Liverpool doesn't have to play a three man CM. They could just as easily play with two, if they had the players to play with two. They don't, so it makes sense to play with three, considering they have a very good attack with only their front three. There is nothing in Klopp's coaching that wouldn't allow for Coutinho to start in the CAM position.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that Coutinho is washed up. I happen to think that he's better than he showed at Barcelona because a lot of very good players can't break through at Barcelona and Real Madrid, but even if he wasn't as good as I thought, there's still a big difference between that and not being able to help Liverpool. Even if for some reason he wasn't a starter, they could use him as a sub off the bench. He's much better than Origi and Shaqiri, and I think everyone agrees with that.

As for the price, it is a lot to pay, but the teams where money doesn't matter are willing to pay fees like that. Look at what Man City paid for Mahrez, a part time player. Liverpool could've definitely used an upgrade in attack. Coutinho makes sense, except for the price. Liverpool might've preferred a sale over a loan, but I think Bayern probably also preferred a sale over a loan. Barcelona wasn't going to sell him for cheap. The way he'd recoup value is by having a good season on loan. We all know that if Liverpool could afford to bring in a luxury player to add to their squad and potentially be a starter, they would've brought Coutinho back, whether its a loan or sale. The reason he's at Bayern is because Liverpool couldn't afford him.

It's not something that Liverpool should be ashamed of. Not all teams in football can afford to throw around ridiculous money every season. Liverpool threw around money to improve the season prior, and they won the Champions League. They nearly won the Premier League, and might win it this season, but I've heard all offseason, not only people here, that Liverpool is not spending money because it doesn't make sense for them to add anyone else to the attack.

The excuses came out every time the topic came up, and players such as Coutinho are considered not good enough. This is the old trick that Bayern Munich uses. They claim every player that they can't afford or aren't able to sign wasn't good enough. Coutinho is absolutely good enough for Liverpool, and the reason he's not at Liverpool is due to finances. As long as everyone can admit that, I don't see the issue here. No one is criticizing Liverpool for being a team with a budget.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You are moving the goalposts.

Coutinho is good enough to start for Liverpool, whether you consider him a passenger or not. There are plenty of passengers that are good enough to start for some of the best teams in the world. Liverpool is not required to play any specific way. Liverpool doesn't have to play a three man CM. They could just as easily play with two, if they had the players to play with two. They don't, so it makes sense to play with three, considering they have a very good attack with only their front three. There is nothing in Klopp's coaching that wouldn't allow for Coutinho to start in the CAM position.

He's not good enough to start for Liverpool if they're trying to win the Champions League. Also, yes they do have to play with three CM's. The CM's support the fullbacks ability to attack the way they do. If they do not have three CM's who track back and tackle, the team will leak goals or won't score as many because the fullbacks cannot attack. That is not ideal for anyone except their competition. If you don't know that, you don't know their tactics and how reliant the team is on this philosophy. If you think it's alright for the fullbacks to not attack as much, I will point out to you that Robertson and Alexander-Arnold each had more assists last season than Coutinho has ever had in one season.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that Coutinho is washed up. I happen to think that he's better than he showed at Barcelona because a lot of very good players can't break through at Barcelona and Real Madrid, but even if he wasn't as good as I thought, there's still a big difference between that and not being able to help Liverpool. Even if for some reason he wasn't a starter, they could use him as a sub off the bench. He's much better than Origi and Shaqiri, and I think everyone agrees with that.

He's better, but those two players play different positions so that's rather pointless. For him to get into the team, and for the team to win trophies with him as a starting player, he would have to replace Mane. He is not better than Mane.

As for the price, it is a lot to pay, but the teams where money doesn't matter are willing to pay fees like that. Look at what Man City paid for Mahrez, a part time player. Liverpool could've definitely used an upgrade in attack. Coutinho makes sense, except for the price. Liverpool might've preferred a sale over a loan, but I think Bayern probably also preferred a sale over a loan. Barcelona wasn't going to sell him for cheap. The way he'd recoup value is by having a good season on loan. We all know that if Liverpool could afford to bring in a luxury player to add to their squad and potentially be a starter, they would've brought Coutinho back, whether its a loan or sale. The reason he's at Bayern is because Liverpool couldn't afford him.

They could have used an upgrade, someone comfortable with the reality of growing into their role in the team over the course of a few seasons and not starting every game. Coutinho is not this guy. The rest of what you said, this line suffices as a response. It is not because of their finances that he is not there. It is because they did not want any short term options. Coutinho also faked an injury while at the club the last time. I am sure this could have something to do with it.

The reason they didn't sign a player for that position this summer is because it is very difficult to find players who know they will be on the bench. With him as a CM Liverpool would struggle, so he would have to play on the left. Coutinho would never get into any football team over Mane.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Napoli and inter have agreed on a fee of 65 million euros for icardi. His “agent” is in Napoli tomorrow to discuss contract. So I guess he’s open to the move wouldn’t make sense to have her fly out if there’s no chance they would sign. I’m guessing he agrees to a contract.

Reactions: Cassano

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Napoli and inter have agreed on a fee of 65 million euros for icardi. His “agent” is in Napoli tomorrow to discuss contract. So I guess he’s open to the move wouldn’t make sense to have her fly out if there’s no chance they would sign. I’m guessing he agrees to a contract.
Maybe he just wanted her out of the house for a little

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Thats a great move for them. Not a fan of Milik as a striker to compete for Serie A.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Coutinho is a better player than many around here want to give him credit for. That said, he’s a square peg in a round hole in many football sides. He isn’t good enough for Liverpool to retool what they do to fit him in.

Liverpool need midfielders who work hard, track back and move quickly. None of those attributes are strengths of Coutinho.

Liverpool need attackers who are decisive, attack quickly, work hard and don’t waste the ball with long shots. Arguably those are also not his strengths.

He just doesn’t fit what they wanted to do, so they didn’t bring him back (and I think his being a rat would be smoothed over if Klopp wanted). They’re the best team in Europe playing without him. Why change to make it work?

I also think Klopp has no qualms about telling a half truth to let the player and media avoid some silliness. I’m pretty sure Klopp saying they can’t afford him is an easier way to not have to crap all over the player not fitting for his side or even worse saying he isn’t good enough. Klopp can let him save face and just say money was the issue with it not completely being a lie since he costs too much.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If Coutinho is not decisive, not working hard, attacks slowly and mainly wastes the ball with long shots I don't think he'll fit in anywhere.

Personally I don't think it made sense for him to go back to Liverpool. Partly due to the way he left and partly because the team is somewhat different from the team he left. But I would have had 0 problems with him joining Spurs playing as an 8. Not really that different than the way Klopp uses his midfield. Or as a LW "back-up". He is certainly a better option there than let us say Ox who played there against Southampton.

Barcelona paid too much, but if he can get going again he is a very very good player. Really hope we can see the best of Coutinho again for BM.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sounds like Wanyama is one medical away.

Such an odd player. Occasionally his ball control and passing is OK, but often it is just not good enough. A bit more time on the ball should benefit him greatly. If he can stay fit he will be a fantastic player for Brugge. More than good enough for a decent PL team when fit.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
N'Koudou officially gone to Besiktas. Decent player. Looked very solid in pre-season. If he can find a proper home I could see him doing very well in Turkey. I really can't explain why he didn't do better at Burnley and Monaco though. He really should have.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn't know he was still around but saw that Mitroglou signed for PSV, could be a good signing for them

Zappacosta returns to Serie A, Roma on loan

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Simeone not satisfied with ruining Correa, Vietto he has eyes set on RDP and more importantly Almada. Fio/Milan also are interested in RDP.

I hope Sporting finally close on Almada its become a saga and his contract extension still not signed. He's free in 12 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad