2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Where tampa is at right now reminds me so much of the wings after losing to the avs in 96. They need that brendan shannahan type trade imo. Something that doesn't dismantle the core, but shakes it up a little bit

Reactions: Reddwit

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
What's more surprising, who lost these two sweeps, or who won? The winners are not teams with great playoff histories.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Unpopular question: so while on one hand, it would be great to have Steve back in Detroit, on the other, does the TB collapse pump the breaks a bit?

The Wings laid some stinkers during their glory years, but the 1996 Wings team didn't do what the TBL did.

Reactions: 14ari13

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cannot believe Tampa didn't even put up a real fight for 75% of the series.

Incredible.

Reactions: 14ari13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What's more surprising, who lost these two sweeps, or who won? The winners are not teams with great playoff histories.

The Isles sweeping Pittsburgh is a surprise only so far as any sweep is a surprise. I mean, NYI had more points this year, more regulation wins, and gave up far fewer goals. Tampa being swept is more surprising, but I think part of that is due to how Columbus ended the season. If you look at their roster, their roster looks like a team that should do some damage and win some games. The way Columbus played after making all of those trades really pushed them under the radar.

Unpopular question: so while on one hand, it would be great to have Steve back in Detroit, on the other, does the TB collapse pump the breaks a bit?

The Wings laid some stinkers during their glory years, but the 1996 Wings team didn't do what the TBL did.

Not really. To a certain extent, all a GM can do is put the talent on the bench. The players have to show up. This year they didn't, but it's really hard to question the talent. And when there is that much talent in place, there is also the possibility to move some of it to readjust the makeup of the team.

At the same time, I ragged on Holland for a long while. But he's done a real good job the past few years. I really hope that even if we get yzerman, that Holland sticks around as an adviser. I think the Wings would benefit in a huge way if Holland was willing to stick around and take a more active role in scouting amateur players.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

If there was an obvious flaw in the makeup of the team, that goes at the feet of the GM. But after cruising to the President's Trophy, then having a mix of injuries and getting thoroughly outworked, I'd blame the players, the coaches, and luck all before Yzerman/Brisebois.

Nothing wrong with a tweak or two. Hopefully Tampa mirrors Detroit from the 90's yet again next year, drops a few spots in the standings, but emerges as a much stronger postseason team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Detroit had nearly half a decade of being a team people thought would win a cup but couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs. Yzerman helped build a team that is well balanced and won 62 games in a league where parity is the watch word. That's all a GM can do. He can't play the games for them.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Where tampa is at right now reminds me so much of the wings after losing to the avs in 96. They need that brendan shannahan type trade imo. Something that doesn't dismantle the core, but shakes it up a little bit

Someone want's a power forward in his prime that can score 20 in a season?

Screenshot_20190416-223242_DuckDuckGo.jpg

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Laine with 2 chances wide open in the slot... and it's still tied. I instantly went here. Funny video, difficult for me to understand.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That reminded more of our 2006 loss to Edmonton.

124p season and 1st round exit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could see Detroit at the playoffs easily at next season.

This current NHL has CRAZY PARITY. Teams go up and down. Contenders are nothing.

We can be the next Islanders if getting the right pieces to fix the team. And teamwork/structure can be it all.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's a difference of $25 million vs $10 million. Not even close.
Coaches aren't like players, they have a much longer career and the good ones usually don't take a pay cut in their next gig.

He wanted the guaranteed money though, and I guess you can't blame him, but how often does a coach remain effective for 9 years with the same team? I get the feeling he was hoping for another long tenure like he had with Nashville.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

This current NHL has CRAZY PARITY. Teams go up and down. Contenders are nothing.

We can be the next Islanders if getting the right pieces to fix the team. And teamwork/structure can be it all.

Barring major coupes they won't be finishing much better in the standings next season. And given major additions, they are still first round fodder. Vegas, Columbus, and other teams are built much better than Detroit is.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Yzerman had nothing to do with the team this season.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Did Tampa have a 3-0 lead in game 1?

I am glad the Pens lost. Crosby 1 point -4.

I hope the flames win.

Crosby, Kucharov, stamkos and Malkin are out.

The caps like that the pens are out.

I hate the Bruins, but I hope they beat babcock.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Every year at least 1-2 crazy things happen. This year we saw two unexpected sweeps in Round 1. Last year an expansion team went to the finals. But none of that means Detroit should conduct the remainder of the rebuild according to, "just get in the playoffs and anything can happen".

Overall I like what they've done so far. But there's multiple drafts and a lot of chickens still to hatch before they're anything but a disaster in the playoffs.

Go easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille