2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What's more surprising, who lost these two sweeps, or who won? The winners are not teams with great playoff histories.

Same shock factor for both sides with CBJ

Islanders don’t have a terrible playoff history. I mean they are more successful then the Rangers in the playoffs. And top 10 in Stanley cup wins. Islanders are cup contenders this year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Barring major coupes they won't be finishing much better in the standings next season. And given major additions, they are still first round fodder. Vegas, Columbus, and other teams are built much better than Detroit is.

Columbus is better built than us? The same team who is losing 2 Big UFA's guaranteed and could lose a couple more in Duchene and others, as well as having traded away high picks in the near future. If they don't win the Cup, the moves they made this year, will be brutal. Even if they win, they are still losing 2 key pieces of their team, along with draft picks and prospect(s), so they don't look that great to me.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Same shock factor for both sides with CBJ

Islanders don’t have a terrible playoff history. I mean they are more successful then the Rangers in the playoffs. And top 10 in Stanley cup wins. Islanders are cup contenders this year.
Yeah, they won the cup four times in a row but that's going back to '82-'83.

It was in '92-'93 that they last made it past the second round of the playoffs. This is only the 2nd time since '92-'93 that they've even made it into the second round and the last time, they beat the Florida Panthers to get there.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Columbus is better built than us? The same team who is losing 2 Big UFA's guaranteed and could lose a couple more in Duchene and others, as well as having traded away high picks in the near future. If they don't win the Cup, the moves they made this year, will be brutal. Even if they win, they are still losing 2 key pieces of their team, along with draft picks and prospect(s), so they don't look that great to me.

Not really true, a lot of people think they have maybe the best goalie outside of the NHL. Their best player is Seth Jones not Panarin. I get that they might take a step back, but they have a good farm system, tons of cap space along with two stud defenders and a very good young center, Columbus is well ahead of us if disaster does happen and everyone walks, that was a part of why they went all in.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yzerman had nothing to do with the team this season.

IMO, that doesn't hold any water on the Red Wings board.

Yzerman stepped down as GM right before training camp started and Brisebois ran with his team only swapping out Koekkoek for Rutta.

The Red Wings fan base is usually unanimous in putting an asterisk next to the 1998 Cup on Holland's resume and simply saying he won with Bowman's/Devellano's team. If that's truly the case, then:

-"Holland won in 1998 with Bowman's/Devellano's team"
-"Yzerman had nothing to do with the Lightning's brutal choke job in 2019"

Pick one.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Yzerman stepped down as GM right before training camp started and Brisebois ran with his team only swapping out Koekkoek for Rutta.

The Red Wings fan base is usually unanimous in putting an asterisk next to the 1998 Cup on Holland's resume and simply saying he won with Bowman's/Devellano's team. If that's truly the case, then:

Pick one.

I'm not in the camp that's putting asterisk's next to any of Holland's achievements with the team, so no.

The fact is Yzerman was not the GM of the Tampa Bay lightning this season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Pick one.

Another comparison is Dale Tallon. The vast bulk of that Chicago Cup team was put together by Tallon and he's what made Chicago so asset rich for Bowman to make future moves. Yzerman had Stamkos and Hedman in place when he stepped in, but he did a great job of pulling in more talent hand over fist. Which is what we should be thrilled about seeing if he's expected to take control here. Regardless of how the Wings get it, they need more talent up and down the lineup. And Yzerman has a nice track record so far of being able to put a system and people in place that goes out and gets it.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Pretty sure Evgeny can get people in their dreams.
oh-my-god-goose-bumps-om-imemes-com-18034398.png

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Pick one.

The Holland one has always ignored the actual power setup at the time and the fact that in the attempt to trade Yzerman, Jimmy D and Bowman fell behind Ken Holland who was a co-gm in terms of organizational power. The attempt to at first build behind Primeau and Fedorov cost those guys a lot more say than most seem to think and earlier than 98.

Reactions: lomekian

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Another comparison is Dale Tallon. The vast bulk of that Chicago Cup team was put together by Tallon and he's what made Chicago so asset rich for Bowman to make future moves. Yzerman had Stamkos and Hedman in place when he stepped in, but he did a great job of pulling in more talent hand over fist. Which is what we should be thrilled about seeing if he's expected to take control here. Regardless of how the Wings get it, they need more talent up and down the lineup. And Yzerman has a nice track record so far of being able to put a system and people in place that goes out and gets it.

I am a bit suspicious when it comes to sentimental decisions. Yzerman was here as a great player, I do not think he would be as great as a player.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Playoffs built team.

Come on folks. The jackets made the playoffs by a hair and the habs were close to be there instead of them.

They beat the bolts because they carried the momentum from the regular season and were lucky that the bolts took them lightly after a 3-0 lead and it seems the bolts were hit by injuries.
But Bobrovsky is a great goalie and tortorella is a great coach, that can work in the playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Playoffs built team.

Come on folks. The jackets made the playoffs by a hair and the habs were close to be there instead of them.

They beat the bolts because they carried the momentum from the regular season and were lucky that the bolts took them lightly after a 3-0 lead and it seems the bolts were hit by injuries.
But Bobrovsky is a great goalie and tortorella is a great coach, that can work in the playoffs.

They have a really good d-core, Dubois is one of the most underrated players in the league, Duchene gave them another big punch in the middle. They just took a little longer to put it together which was a tough break for Tampa and one honestly I still thought Tampa would power through in 6 or 7 games going into it but the Jackets are a good team and they play a very heavy game. They basically just pulled the late 80's Pistons on the Bulls in that series.

Reactions: 14ari13

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
The Holland one has always ignored the actual power setup at the time and the fact that in the attempt to trade Yzerman, Jimmy D and Bowman fell behind Ken Holland who was a co-gm in terms of organizational power. The attempt to at first build behind Primeau and Fedorov cost those guys a lot more say than most seem to think and earlier than 98.

I thought the rumor was that ownership killed that one? It's tough to find much solid info on that because it seems insane now.

I'm just glad Holland didn't move Datsyuk for Scott Gomez, that would have cost a cup for sure.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought the rumor was that ownership killed that one? It's tough to find much solid info on that because it seems insane now.

I'm just glad Holland didn't move Datsyuk for Scott Gomez, that would have cost a cup for sure.

Ownership killed it, but it was basically the seismic shift in terms of power since Holland was the one of the three that didn't believe in doing it. They didn't just setup the three man thing in 94 and go to Holland out of it because he wasn't the massive success guy in that setup over and over. Most of the trades people attribute to one of Bowman or Devellano feature him as the swing vote and trading away Devellano's pet in Primeau also has a glimpse into this. Did Bowman want Shanahan, yes um so did Holland and without his input it isn't happening from Ilitch's standpoint more than likely. It is what it is there, some of this Devellano has let out there in his oddball interviews and book. In any event Holland didn't rise to power out of nowhere in 1998 being gifted a great team, he scouted most of it leading to his promotion and then he was the one giving the best advice in the eyes of Mike Ilitch continuously and was promoted to outright GM. The strange spin on Bowman's power in particular in terms of this narrative has never made much sense when people put that forward in my opinion.

If I remember right on the Gomez stuff it was more Lou bailing out than us.

Reactions: avssuc

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The caps like that the pens are out.
Why would the Caps care, they beat the Pens last year along with CBJ and TB. TB was the only series to go 7 games. Better to face an enemy you know well.

Right now the Caps better focus on their own series, especially after getting completely outplayed and blown out in game 3.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Why would the Caps care, they beat the Pens last year along with CBJ and TB. TB was the only series to go 7 games. Better to face an enemy you know well.

Right now the Caps better focus on their own series, especially after getting completely outplayed and blown out in game 3.
It was a joke. I know they got the monkey off of their back last season.
The pens seemed like they would miss the playoffs. It won't be a surprise if they do next season. But they will make changes a d improve the team.

They have a really good d-core, Dubois is one of the most underrated players in the league, Duchene gave them another big punch in the middle. They just took a little longer to put it together which was a tough break for Tampa and one honestly I still thought Tampa would power through in 6 or 7 games going into it but the Jackets are a good team and they play a very heavy game. They basically just pulled the late 80's Pistons on the Bulls in that series.

I think both the players and the fans would prefer to have finished higher than the 8th place, beating the habs by 2 points only and avoiding to play the best team in the league.
Cooper lost it to Tortorella.
I also think it is always a mistake not to make a trade deadline deal.
If Bobrovsky gets/stays hot, they can to to the finals.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Carolina broadcast is now referring to Mrazek as "Petr the Rock" after a strong performance in the two home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->