2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
No clue why people are up in arms over the hit. Little reckless I guess, not not suspendable.

It's just sad more than anything. No one wants to see the best players injured. Guys cross check like that all game but IMO this was a stupid move on a Capitals star.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Because Oshie got injured? That's like saying Claude Lemieux's hit on Draper was no big deal.

I don't know, maybe because I'm not a Caps fan, but it didn't seem that dirty. Plus, the whole aftermath is what made the Draper hit worse. Detroit and its fans were already crazy about being bounced again, so the lack of an apology gave all involved something to cling to instead of another loss.

-Foegele has never been suspended in the NHL, but did get 1 game in the AHL for boarding. Lemieux had a checkered past.

-The hits 'were' different. Draper was right against fhe boards facing them, Oshie was perhaps 10 feet away skating angled, along with Foegele. I've bumped guys and been bumped in very similar spots, and that happens in every NHL game, hardly ever do you see that. It just seems like an unfortunate set of events. Here is a screen cap from the moment of the crosscheck:

Screenshot_20190419-010631_YouTube.jpg

Hell, I crafted my SN from my hate for the Avs, but looking back, I don't think it was that bad of a hit. This is even less... just bad luck... no ill intentions or reckless behavior.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
TB made no trade deadline moves to take advantage of the good season their players achieved. That was in the name of chemistry, though it was still questionable not to try to ensure they capitalized on such a good season, but they weren't exactly lacking talent either. I feel like they got out-coached in the CBJ series.

This series definitely came down to coaching in my opinion. Player talent was obviously on Tampa's side, but Cooper was shook after game two. He had no response for his team and they got out hustled and out worked consistently on the ice. A coach has to have some way to remedy that. Cooper wasn’t working with chump change in terms of players either.

This was a historically successful team and he failed to get them going when it counted. His presser after they were swept was horrible too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
This series definitely came down to coaching in my opinion. Player taken was obviously on Tampa's side, but Cooper was shook after game two. He had no response for his team and they got out hustled and out worked consistently on the ice. A coach has to have some way to remedy that and Cooper wasn’t working with chump change in terms of players. This was a historically successful team and he failed to get them going when it counted. His presser after they were swept was horrible too.

Yeah. After a second straight home loss in a playoff series, there should be big changes. Cooper's team didn't lack the talent to respond, but their coach had no response for Columbus' 1-2-2 trap. It was almost as if he thought each Columbus win was a fluke and his team would find itself the next game without needing to change much.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Carolina broadcast is now referring to Mrazek as "Petr the Rock" after a strong performance in the two home games.

He played ok. Nothing special. His numbers are very good, maybe even great, yet he has faced the least shots and almost a half part of what Smith has faced through 4 games.

But I am happy for him, I think he is talented.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Blown goaltender interference review after a questionable waiving of icing gives the Leafs a 1-0 lead with 8 left in the 3rd. What a f-ing joke. The NHL wants that Toronto revenue alive as long as possible.

Reactions: 14ari13

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I guess I would rather see Colorado win this series. Calgary gave us more reason to hate them this season. Plus, Colorado already has the 4th pick, let them move their second pick up in the order a bit.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I guess I would rather see Colorado win this series. Calgary gave us more reason to hate them this season. Plus, Colorado already has the 4th pick, let them move their second pick up in the order a bit.

I was on the Calgary bandwagon for this one. Chippy history with the Wings as of late but I am still a bit salty about the Colorado fans chirping in our GDT back in December (especially the poltroon that was deliberately misquoting me in their GDT to drum up board drama). F 'em and their team.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I was on the Calgary bandwagon for this one. Chippy history with the Wings as of late but I am still a bit salty about the Colorado fans chirping in our GDT back in December (especially the poltroon that was deliberately misquoting me in their GDT to drum up bword drama). F 'em and their team.
I picked Calgary to win this one, in all honesty.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Strange series for Calgary -- strong goaltending but pop-gun offense, the complete opposite of the rest of their season. They had no answer for MacKinnon regardless though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Calgary, Calgary, Calgary!!! Is it ever any different with them!!!???

giphy.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't know, maybe because I'm not a Caps fan, but it didn't seem that dirty. Plus, the whole aftermath is what made the Draper hit worse. Detroit and its fans were already crazy about being bounced again, so the lack of an apology gave all involved something to cling to instead of another loss.

This is not why we cling to that hit being bad, it was the hit itself, which is still the worst play I have ever seen, including the Bertuzzi thing. The lack of apology made me hate Claude Lemieux all the more, however, even if he did, that hit was atrocious and an apology wouldn't have changed that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I know after Tampa went out my picks to win were the Islanders or Toronto/Boston... But man Calgary out in the first round as well?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Anyone else want some game 7's
Blown goaltender interference review after a questionable waiving of icing gives the Leafs a 1-0 lead with 8 left in the 3rd. What a f-ing joke. The NHL wants that Toronto revenue alive as long as possible.

That was a terrible call. I do not get it how they called it a good goal. I am really pissed.

Anyone else want some game 7's
Oh yeah, for sure.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
This is one of my favorite years recently in terms of teams remaining:

Chicago - out.
Pittsburgh - swept.
Boston - trailing.

Beyond that I like most of the remaining teams. Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, San Jose, Winnipeg have all never won and could use some success. Washington is one of my favorite teams, but Carolina isn't inherently dislikable either. Don't mind Vegas or NYI, and the Leafs players are all right, even if the fanbase can be a bit too much. Dallas is meh, and I don't feel anything against Colorado nowadays, so I'll really be content with most outcomes from here, just with varying degrees of preference.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This series definitely came down to coaching in my opinion. Player talent was obviously on Tampa's side, but Cooper was shook after game two. He had no response for his team and they got out hustled and out worked consistently on the ice. A coach has to have some way to remedy that. Cooper wasn’t working with chump change in terms of players either.

This was a historically successful team and he failed to get them going when it counted. His presser after they were swept was horrible too.
It must have instilled confidence when he said they simply had a bad week. No need for changes, shit happens and we just had a bad week. Wow.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is one of my favorite years recently in terms of teams remaining:

Chicago - out.
Pittsburgh - swept.
Boston - trailing.

Beyond that I like most of the remaining teams. Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, San Jose, Winnipeg have all never won and could use some success. Washington is one of my favorite teams, but Carolina isn't inherently dislikable either. Don't mind Vegas or NYI, and the Leafs players are all right, even if the fanbase can be a bit too much. Dallas is meh, and I don't feel anything against Colorado nowadays, so I'll really be content with most outcomes from here, just with varying degrees of preference.
Rantanen was a beast. Colorado has those games where they are unstoppable and score boatloads of goals. Makar was a nice addition. Sakic has done a really nice job with the Avs, looking forward to Yzerman putting his stamp on our franchise and getting us back to playing competitive playoff hockey.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The icing being waived off looked legit but yeah, goaltender interference calls continue to make no sense year after year. Put up Couture's waived off goal against the one allowed for Toronto, then scratch your head.

It looked like the Boston goal was offside too but I hate that stupid review rule so I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad