2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
So Seattle is hiring already, and all signs point to an approved expansion. Vegas happened very fast after that, so we might get some mulligans on these contracts.

Resign:
Boeser at 5 x 5 years
Edler at 4.5 x 2 years
Hutton at 3.5 x 3 years
Goldobin at 2 x 2 years
Demko at 950k x 2 years
I would throw Gaunce in here too, at AHL maximum salary, since we know he will make the trip up and down a few times.
Let everyone else walk, unless they are amenable to a 2 way contract (not waiver exempt, just to keep the same pay on both sides)

Have Seattle to take some of our temporary contracts, soon to be redundant, in Gagner, Schaller and Markstrom. I honestly don't care what we get back, so long as it doesn't have salary attached. That's a reasonable starting package for a new franchise, with 2 versatile centers who can play wing, for a bottom six, and a starting goaltender, but not one so great you would feel bad taking Fleury or his equivalent this year come draft time.

Squeeze anyone interested in Roussel or Gudbranson too. This is more of a want than a need though. Either way, expose them, Eriksson, Beagle and Sutter when the draft happens. Replace a missing D with Juolevi (or more likely Hughes), and replace any missing forward with Gaudette or Dahlen or Lind.

On D, focus in on Stralman (say 4x2 years) and Gardner (5x5 years) to fill our our top four some. Offer Simmonds, Lee and Varlamov 6 million per season.

Baertschi-Horvat-Simmonds
Lee
-Pettersson-Boeser
Goldobin
-Sutter-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson
Gaunce

Gardiner-Tanev
Edler
-Stetcher
Hutton-Stralman
Gudbranson

Varlamov
Demko

Protect the bolded players (7-3-1 configuration), the underlined are new additions, we lose a big contract and come in under the cap by that contract. I think everyone wins here.
You're a year ahead here. The expansion draft will be at the end of next season, meaning Gagner, Schaller and Markstom will be UFA's therefore not eligible for draft requirements- though can still be selected. No team is going to trade for Rousell or Gudbrandson when they will have their own ED protections to work out. Finally, signing 5 UFA free agents and then leaving all of them unprotected would never happen and would be a terrible look for the organization moving forward. Also, Boeser will get 6.5M+ after the Nylander contract, no way he signs for 5M.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You're a year ahead here. The expansion draft will be at the end of next season, meaning Gagner, Schaller and Markstom will be UFA's therefore not eligible for draft requirements- though can still be selected. No team is going to trade for Rousell or Gudbrandson when they will have their own ED protections to work out. Finally, signing 5 UFA free agents and then leaving all of them unprotected would never happen and would be a terrible look for the organization moving forward. Also, Boeser will get 6.5M+ after the Nylander contract, no way he signs for 5M.

Ah hell. I thought the draft would have/could have been at the end of this season. I need to learn to read more attentively.

I got excited, scrap that. The UFAs would have come after the draft though, not before. I jumped the gun was all.

As for Boeser, I think a great deal of that depends on his development. As for Nylander, he has had a full season more then Boeser to produce and prove himself, and looking at internal comparisons to contracts, he also has Marleau, Andersen and now Tavares that Toronto has spent a great deal of money on prior to his signing (I'd have to think this factored in to his and his agents argument). Our comparables for production are another ELC, Horvat making 5.5, and Eriksson as far as dollar amounts go. Considering Baertschi's and Gagner's production (last season anyway), I don't think 6+ is something we likely will be handing out, barring a step up in performance this year (and honestly I hope we see it, we rarely have that kind of problem on this team).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention we burned a year on his ELC for him. I do mean for him, we signed him immediately after being eliminated, got him to play his first game in front of his dad and family, in his home state, and all for I think 10 or 11 meaningless games. I'd argue, on that alone, we have better cause to get some manor of home town discount then Nylander and the Leafs.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Ah hell. I thought the draft would have/could have been at the end of this season. I need to learn to read more attentively.

I got excited, scrap that. The UFAs would have come after the draft though, not before. I jumped the gun was all.

As for Boeser, I think a great deal of that depends on his development. As for Nylander, he has had a full season more then Boeser to produce and prove himself, and looking at internal comparisons to contracts, he also has Marleau, Andersen and now Tavares that Toronto has spent a great deal of money on prior to his signing (I'd have to think this factored in to his and his agents argument). Our comparables for production are another ELC, Horvat making 5.5, and Eriksson as far as dollar amounts go. Considering Baertschi's and Gagner's production (last season anyway), I don't think 6+ is something we likely will be handing out, barring a step up in performance this year (and honestly I hope we see it, we rarely have that kind of problem on this team).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention we burned a year on his ELC for him. I do mean for him, we signed him immediately after being eliminated, got him to play his first game in front of his dad and family, in his home state, and all for I think 10 or 11 meaningless games. I'd argue, on that alone, we have better cause to get some manor of home town discount then Nylander and the Leafs.
Makes sense on the UFA situation but yeah you definitely jumped the gun. As for Brock I'd be ecstatic to see him get 5M but with how the league is trending to pay young stars immediately I really don't see that happening. Maybe they give him the same contract Bo got but then inflation from when it was signed brings it closer to 6M. His production and health the rest of the year will be a big variable on his price tag but I see him getting 6M+ easily.

Edit: Looks like I jumped the gun as well- it's sounding like they are joining for the 2021-2022 season so I was a year early too.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Gagner wasn't even bad this year, I seriously don't understand why we don't try sending someone else down instead.

It's funny how "winning culture" gets blindly spewed but the fact that we just let everyone have a good time here regardless of their play is the exact opposite of a winning culture.

f*** off.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gagner wasn't even bad this year, I seriously don't understand why we don't try sending someone else down instead.

It's funny how "winning culture" gets blindly spewed but the fact that we just let everyone have a good time here regardless of their play is the exact opposite of a winning culture.

**** off.

It's not even that, it's that we're sending him to bolster Utica's rival...he's not even going to help out our desperate farm team.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Gagner sent back down to the Marlies. I'm guessing that's the last we see of him in a Canucks uniform.
I absolutely hate this move. He played well and he played hard since he was recalled. He's obviously no world beater but I would much rather see him in the role of 4C than Gaudette right now and would certainly rather see him in place of Schaller. I don't understand the rationale for this at all.

Reactions: geebaan and tyhee

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It really is amazing Gagner is sent down and Schaller stays, just amazing

But then again I am not an NHL GM so I don’t really understand the inner workings of NHL Team management

Reactions: geebaan

LordCanuck

May 14, 2017
gagner was so great, he was winning games for us, were on a 5 game winning streak, why send him down. oh wait, were not, 11 of 12 losses, who cares......

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
It really is amazing Gagner is sent down and Schaller stays, just amazing

But then again I am not an NHL GM so I don’t really understand the inner workings of NHL Team management
The 4th line was one of the few good parts of Vancouver game last night. They even combined for an even strength goal.
Gagner had like 2 decent games and then wasn’t really seen again. The adrenaline rush wore off pretty quickly.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Besides Pettersson there isn’t much to be excited about this season, so I started thinking about next season, this would be my game plan:

Step 1: Fire Management, hire competent people.

Step 2: Fire coach, some very good coaches available that might not be later.

Step 3: Take out the garbage, we have a lot of B level prospects but they will never get a chance to showcase what they have unless we move out some bodies.

Step 4: Quality over quantity. Last year we sign Beagle, Roussel, Schaller. Year before we sign: Burmistrov, Gagner, Del Zotto, Vanek. Sign a great player, don’t sign a bunch of junk.

Step 5: Roster retool...

Goldobin-Pettersson- ?
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Motte
Eriksson

Out: Sutter, Granlund, Schaller, Gagner
In: (top line RW)
M. Stone, A. Panarin, J. Hughes, K. Kakko

Defence is a mess, needs to be completely turned over.

Gardiner - Stralman
Q. Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Juolevi - Woo

Out: Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Biega (Gudbranson’s contract will be difficult to move, just eat it and send him to the minors)

Goaltending: Nilsson is better than Markstrom, but they are both average at best. Keep Marky & Demko. See what you have in Demko and if it’s inadequate sign a solid starter the following year.

We desperately need new management with a clear vision and a solid plan.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
CHI is still interested in Sam Gagner. What would be a good deal here?

I think Kunitz + 5th pick would be decent. Then waive Kunitz.

Krueger and Rutta offer a similar escape. Do not want Manning.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would take literally any player on the Blackhawks that has an expiring contract for Gagner and consider it a big win.

Reactions: sting101

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Besides Pettersson there isn’t much to be excited about this season, so I started thinking about next season, this would be my game plan:

Step 3: Take out the garbage, we have a lot of B level prospects but they will never get a chance to showcase what they have unless we move out some bodies.

Step 4: Quality over quantity. Last year we sign Beagle, Roussel, Schaller. Year before we sign: Burmistrov, Gagner, Del Zotto, Vanek. Sign a great player, don’t sign a bunch of junk.

Goldobin-Pettersson- ?
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Motte
Eriksson

Gardiner - Stralman
Q. Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Juolevi - Woo

Out: Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Biega (Gudbranson’s contract will be difficult to move, just eat it and send him to the minors)

Goaltending: Nilsson is better than Markstrom, but they are both average at best. Keep Marky & Demko. See what you have in Demko and if it’s inadequate sign a solid starter the following year.

You throw out names like it’s just that easy. How much do you expect to sign Gardiner for? Stralman is a shell of his former self.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Goldobin-Pettersson- ?
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Motte
Eriksson

Gardiner - Stralman
Q. Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Juolevi - Woo

Not bad but you still have us chasing 3 high-end UFAs next summer. No thanks.

My ideal next offseason would look something like:

Ship out Tanev, Sutter, and Gudbranson (yes, I believe there'd be a market for him).

Let Pouliot, Granlund, and Nilsson walk.

Waive Schaller, Gagner, and Eriksson. Try to get Eriksson to retire, no way he wants to spend 3 years riding the bus on the east coast with a young family having earned $27M of $36M on his contract.

Try and sign one of the young-ish, high-end free agent wingers Panarin or Stone to a 7-year deal. Failing that, see if Simmonds is can be had on a high-cap-hit, short-term deal. Something like 2 year, $14M. Failing that, try to find anyone being squeezed out on a cap team with more potential to give. Candidates are Brandon Saad, Kasperi Kapanen, Andre Burakovsky, Miles Wood (not all at the same level obviously). Sign a few bargain-basement UFA Fs for added depth.

Try and bring Tryamkin back, offer something like 3 years, $7.5M.

To replace Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Tanev, and Gudbranson, once again look to teams in cap trouble to try and get some stopgap vets with 1- or 2- years remaining on their contracts. Candidates are Dmitry Kulikov, Brenden Dillon, David Savard, Andrew MacDonald. Leave one spot open for Hughes/Juolevi (it'll be Hughes). Sign Hutton to a 4-5 year deal for some stability on the left side.

So for example, maybe end up with something like:

UFA signings: Wayne Simmonds, Devante Smith-Pelly, Tom Pyatt (those last two guys should both be $1M or less)
Trades: Brenden Dillon, Dmitry Kulikov (don't think it would take much to get either)

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Simmonds
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Hutton-Stecher
Kulikov-Tryamkin
Hughes-Dillon

Demko/Markstrom in net

Extras - Biega, Smith-Pelly, Pyatt

I'd also try and sign some AHL superstars to insulate the kids in Utica. Try to find linemates for MacEwen, Dahlen, Jasek, and Lockwood.

That team's gonna suck, but it'll be better than this years and it's gonna be entertaining to watch. If we draft one of Hughes, Kakko, or Dach (my top 3 choices) and Gaudette can go back to the AHL and be one of the first callups when injuries hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
There is only one way this gets better
The axe has to fall on Jim Benning.
Enough is enough..he has had enough time to make this team competitive and its turned into a joke..

Last edited:
Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad