2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
So Seattle is hiring already, and all signs point to an approved expansion. Vegas happened very fast after that, so we might get some mulligans on these contracts.

Resign:
Boeser at 5 x 5 years
Edler at 4.5 x 2 years
Hutton at 3.5 x 3 years
Goldobin at 2 x 2 years
Demko at 950k x 2 years
I would throw Gaunce in here too, at AHL maximum salary, since we know he will make the trip up and down a few times.
Let everyone else walk, unless they are amenable to a 2 way contract (not waiver exempt, just to keep the same pay on both sides)

Have Seattle to take some of our temporary contracts, soon to be redundant, in Gagner, Schaller and Markstrom. I honestly don't care what we get back, so long as it doesn't have salary attached. That's a reasonable starting package for a new franchise, with 2 versatile centers who can play wing, for a bottom six, and a starting goaltender, but not one so great you would feel bad taking Fleury or his equivalent this year come draft time.

Squeeze anyone interested in Roussel or Gudbranson too. This is more of a want than a need though. Either way, expose them, Eriksson, Beagle and Sutter when the draft happens. Replace a missing D with Juolevi (or more likely Hughes), and replace any missing forward with Gaudette or Dahlen or Lind.

On D, focus in on Stralman (say 4x2 years) and Gardner (5x5 years) to fill our our top four some. Offer Simmonds, Lee and Varlamov 6 million per season.

Baertschi-Horvat-Simmonds
Lee
-Pettersson-Boeser
Goldobin
-Sutter-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson
Gaunce

Gardiner-Tanev
Edler
-Stetcher
Hutton-Stralman
Gudbranson

Varlamov
Demko

Protect the bolded players (7-3-1 configuration), the underlined are new additions, we lose a big contract and come in under the cap by that contract. I think everyone wins here.
So Hughes, Gaudette and Juolevi don’t make the team by 2020/2021? Yikes..

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don’t like Zaitsev or his contract

Wouldn't take on Zaitsev unless it's the Leafs sweeten the pot.

What would it take to make up the difference?

I'm trying to consider this from the angle that Stecher is not viewed as a legit top6 NHL defender. What does he garner then? Is Zaitsev viewed as a legit NHL defensemen? I have my view on this, but I'm betting that Benning is asking this very question.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
What would it take to make up the difference?

I'm trying to consider this from the angle that Stecher is not viewed as a legit top6 NHL defender. What does he garner then? Is Zaitsev viewed as a legit NHL defensemen? I have my view on this, but I'm betting that Benning is asking this very question.
He really isn’t. At best his a 4.5m Aaron Rome without the size or physicality that Rome brought. He’s not a good shutdown guy, he’s a mediocre skater, he’s got a shot that’s weaker than chris Tanev’s and he has 6 years remaining on that contract. Now this isn’t Seabrook levels of negative value, but this is serious negative value. I wouldn’t help the Leafs for anything less than a 1st and even then I’d probably just say no as that contract is 6 YEAR LEFT!

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Glad to see Gagner gone, but I still shake my head that they sent him to the Marlies.
As much as they wanna do Sam a solid, you literally just traded one of the highest scoring Comet’s forwards here for NHL help. They should have told him if he wants even another sniff he’s going to Utica to help our own damn organization

Reactions: geebaan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Hughes, Gaudette and Juolevi don’t make the team by 2020/2021? Yikes..

Someone pointed out that I was a year too early with my plan, thinking the entryndraft would be this post season. I don't assume everyone's always ready anymore though, by all accounts Woo and Madden could be ready sooner rather than later too.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I don't see Benning getting fired. Not that he doesn't deserve it - he's clearly in over his head.

But Aquilini wants a yes-man and he has one. That's just as much if not a bigger issue.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Living in dream world world when we pretend full health after Sutter returns:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leivo-Pettersson-Goldy
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Eriksson

Schaller/Granlund
A-Gaudette

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Living in dream world world when we pretend full health after Sutter returns:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leivo-Pettersson-Goldy
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Eriksson

Schaller/Granlund
A-Gaudette

If you told me at the start of the season I would miss our roster looking like this, minus Leivo of course, I would call you a liar.

That setup is by far the best we can ice currently if everyone is healthy and puts together lines with a good mix of skills and playstyles.

-The triple B line has shown very good chemistry in the past... so hopefully they can find some of that again.

-Leivo and Petterson have shown chemistry, Goldy and EP have as well. Goldobin isn't the as dangerous a shooter as Brock is, but EP and Leivo make up for that along with Goldy's playmaking potential.

-Roussel and Virtanen just seem to have a good chemistry going on at the moment, when paired with Sutter they make a legit shutdown third line that also threatens on the scoreboard.

-Fourth line, less of a set identity more kind of leftover parts... but Motte and Eriksson can work as a defensive line alongside Beagle. Probably unwise to send them against top lines though?

Plug Granlund/Schaller in if someone else is off... send Gaudette back to the A to keep improving.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I don't see Benning getting fired. Not that he doesn't deserve it - he's clearly in over his head.
But Aquilini wants a yes-man and he has one. That's just as much if not a bigger issue.

OK Momesso you realized Jim has won a Cup?? (So what?) oh and that's with the sh***ty Chia in charge??? who is in charge of dismembering the 4-1st overall lead Oilers...

And it seems you clearly have a rebuild plan in succession? winning 1st overall drafts? getting 1st rounders for UFA's and getting multiple picks for vets in every trade???? Sheesh why hasn't that worked for every team, and why haven't they hired you yet?

Last edited:

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I would say the Dman drafted by the Nashville Predators. They have a bit of a track record.

He is still unsigned though. There is some risk there considering he'll be a UFA in 2020 if he doesn't sign in the summer.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He is still unsigned though. There is some risk there considering he'll be a UFA in 2020 if he doesn't sign in the summer.

Right, but all NCAA players are unsigned. And he's from New West and wouldn't have to beat out Subban/Josi/Ekholm/Ellis for ice time.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

It is a dream of mine that he waits and we sign the local boy... A guy has to have some hope in his life doesn't he... 1 in a 100000 chance, but there is still a chance

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Right, but all NCAA players are unsigned. And he's from New West and wouldn't have to beat out Subban/Josi/Ekholm/Ellis for ice time.

My point was that even if he is a slightly better prospect than Juolevi that doesn't necessarily make him a more valuable asset due to contract situations.

I wonder if either side would be interested in a straight up swap.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Not a good time to trade Juolevi. He's just going to have to figure it out here.

That said, NSH fears that Fabbro may walk, it might be an opportune time to offer Tryamkin's rights the other way.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hypothetically which prospect would you give up along with Juolevi to have drafted both Tkachuks, needing to trade one to move up to 4th?

It would be a pretty fun team. THEY SAID WE'RE CLASSLESS, WELL WE'LL SHOW THEM CLASSLESS!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
- The Canucks have to trade Edler at the TDL, and MTL seems like the perfect fit. They need a good LHD badly, and they have Josh Brook tearing up the WHL. MTL also has Cale Fleury, but Brook is the one to go after.

- Danton Heinen is a good target from BOS. He put up 2 points today, but before this game, he was lost. The Bs liked Schaller last year. A swap may be possible if Heinen goes into the tank again.

- I like @Mr Plow's idea of moving something for Fabbro. Even if Fabbro makes the Preds, he's unlikely to push Ellis or Subban out of the way for a top4 spot. All that said, Benning negotiating with Poile? No thanks.

- It was referenced here that there is talk of Stecher for Zaitsev. Botchford as the source, I believe. Would be bad, but I wouldn't put it past Benning.

- If Sam Gagner goes to CHI, I would want Rutta coming back (I know Benning won't ask for a pick).

- I saw a recommendation from Dan Kingerski (Reporter), not necessarily a rumour, regarding PIT's interest in Markstrom. He said that Markstrom would be a good target if PIT decided to pursue a goalie.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I pretty much disagree with the thrust of this thread. Im not the worlds biggest JB fan, but his biggest crimes have been giving away mid picks and signing Ericsson. The McCanns and Shinkaruks of the world have not indicted him. On the other hand, Boeser and Pettersson were major wins. Im optimstic about QH and hopeful OJ, though latter needs to show a lot. This year is first post Sedin year -- who was expecting a good year? Remember when the debate was can EP handle C in the NHL, or will Goldy and Jake ever be NHL regulars? This year has shown loads of progress -- dont mind losing close games where theyre playing hard, and injuries partly to blame. We need another stud pick next summer and need to get reliable vet help for the D, like we did when we got Hamhuis or Mitchell back in the day. But i think we need to make trades -- I would be VERY wary of going for big UFAs, like Simmonds ...that screams Loui all over again. I wonder if we can steal some trades as other teams prepare for the expansion draft? Adding QH, OJ and NT to the D should make a huge difference, but that is the biggest priority-- the current D for s a mess.
Saw a Ranger game recently -- they have almost NOTHING upcoming to get excited about in their rebuild. Kings, Hawks, Habs in similar boat. Canucks finally have some studs and are moving in the right direction. I think the EP/BB/BH core Benning has built has earned him more time. Stay the course. High pick this summer, chase Playoffs next year, contend the year after after.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
- The Canucks have to trade Edler at the TDL, and MTL seems like the perfect fit. They need a good LHD badly, and they have Josh Brook tearing up the WHL. MTL also has Cale Fleury, but Brook is the one to go after..

I wish Colorado was more of a match for us with their easy ability in throwing away their own 1st rounder; however, Tanev would be the only D man that would aid what they lack. I love Timmons but I doubt they give him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad