2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I pretty much disagree with the thrust of this thread. Im not the worlds biggest JB fan, but his biggest crimes have been giving away mid picks and signing Ericsson. The McCanns and Shinkaruks of the world have not indicted him. On the other hand, Boeser and Pettersson were major wins. Im optimstic about QH and hopeful OJ, though latter needs to show a lot. This year is first post Sedin year -- who was expecting a good year? Remember when the debate was can EP handle C in the NHL, or will Goldy and Jake ever be NHL regulars? This year has shown loads of progress -- dont mind losing close games where theyre playing hard, and injuries partly to blame. We need another stud pick next summer and need to get reliable vet help for the D, like we did when we got Hamhuis or Mitchell back in the day. But i think we need to make trades -- I would be VERY wary of going for big UFAs, like Simmonds ...that screams Loui all over again. I wonder if we can steal some trades as other teams prepare for the expansion draft? Adding QH, OJ and NT to the D should make a huge difference, but that is the biggest priority-- the current D for s a mess.
Saw a Ranger game recently -- they have almost NOTHING upcoming to get excited about in their rebuild. Kings, Hawks, Habs in similar boat. Canucks finally have some studs and are moving in the right direction. I think the EP/BB/BH core Benning has built has earned him more time. Stay the course. High pick this summer, chase Playoffs next year, contend the year after after.

I don't want to turn this into a management thread, but where are you getting that the thrust of this thread is Benning centric? To me it seems like a trade everything thread??

May be best to take your argument over to the management thread. (If you want to discuss it)

I wish Colorado was more of a match for us with their easy ability in throwing away their own 1st rounder; however, Tanev would be the only D man that would aid what they lack. I love Timmons but I doubt they give him up.

Doesn't Timmins have concussion issues?

Edler would be a fit there. Their right side on defense is locked up with Johnson, Barrie and a few righty prospects (Makar).

Is there a link to where this is coming from?

Referenced from a Botchford interview. I don't have the source link. It's unclear whether he's speculating or whether it's something he has heard. Grain of salt.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Seeing Schneider struggling big time in New Jersey...would you look to get him back if it were cheap? It looks to me like they are more than happy going with Kinkaid as their starter, so moving his $6M contract (for the next 4 years) would probably be a priority.

Perhaps something like Markstrom + one of our bad contracts for Schneider might not be such a bad deal? I wonder if there would be any possible way of doing Markstrom + Eriksson for Schneider after July 1? That way we get out from under that awful Eriksson contract, New Jersey gets a 1B goalie to go with Kinkaid, and picks up a guy who maybe they can try to squeeze something out of without paying too many dollars for.

For me, this is much more preferable than going the Bobrovsky route and giving him some monster 4-7 year contract worth $8-10M per year.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Seeing Schneider struggling big time in New Jersey...would you look to get him back if it were cheap? It looks to me like they are more than happy going with Kinkaid as their starter, so moving his $6M contract (for the next 4 years) would probably be a priority.

Perhaps something like Markstrom + one of our bad contracts for Schneider might not be such a bad deal? I wonder if there would be any possible way of doing Markstrom + Eriksson for Schneider after July 1? That way we get out from under that awful Eriksson contract, New Jersey gets a 1B goalie to go with Kinkaid, and picks up a guy who maybe they can try to squeeze something out of without paying too many dollars for.

For me, this is much more preferable than going the Bobrovsky route and giving him some monster 4-7 year contract worth $8-10M per year.
For me id do it..I hated when we traded Schneider as i was a big fan.Markstrom im not a fan of . Never have been..Dont see any team wanting that Eriksson contract unless its Seattle for cap reasons.Still this delusional managment likes what he brings to the team..i dont get it....so they will probly keep him.But if there was a way to get Schneids back...him and Demko would be a great 1 -2 combo

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
In hindsight, that Schneider for Horvat deal was an absolute steal. Horvat looks to be a very solid contributor for us for many years still. The drama surrounding the trade and goalie controversy is still bad, but in terms of value and years served, it looks like we won big time.

Speaking of Horvat, Canucks seem set down the middle. Elias/Bo looks like a very solid one-two punch for the foreseeable future, and I like how they have very different playstyles. Brings some diversity to our game. Bo's our heavy, powerful center, and Elias is pure skill. The hammer and the dagger in the night.

Big hole in the roster still looks like defense number one, and wingers number two.

I was thinking about the upcoming draft. I'm not sure I even want us to draft a center. It couldn't hurt, I guess? But we need legit defense prospects.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Pass on Schneider. Hasn't won a regular season game since December 2017 and has 4 years left at 6 million.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
In hindsight, that Schneider for Horvat deal was an absolute steal. Horvat looks to be a very solid contributor for us for many years still. The drama surrounding the trade and goalie controversy is still bad, but in terms of value and years served, it looks like we won big time.

Speaking of Horvat, Canucks seem set down the middle. Elias/Bo looks like a very solid one-two punch for the foreseeable future, and I like how they have very different playstyles. Brings some diversity to our game. Bo's our heavy, powerful center, and Elias is pure skill. The hammer and the dagger in the night.

Big hole in the roster still looks like defense number one, and wingers number two.

I was thinking about the upcoming draft. I'm not sure I even want us to draft a center. It couldn't hurt, I guess? But we need legit defense prospects.
The top end of the 2019 draft is loaded with elite forwards. Take a forward, then grab a D with the 2nd round pick. Just my 2 cents.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
The top end of the 2019 draft is loaded with elite forwards. Take a forward, then grab a D with the 2nd round pick. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. I haven't followed this draft much at all yet, haven't researched the prospects, but I have heard it's forward heavy. Gotta take the best player at our pick regardless of position, I just wish there were more D at the top of this draft.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Agreed. I haven't followed this draft much at all yet, haven't researched the prospects, but I have heard it's forward heavy. Gotta take the best player at our pick regardless of position, I just wish there were more D at the top of this draft.
Agree with you there. At the end of the day D is what we need.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If we strike out on the good UFA wingers (Panarin, Stone), do we make an offer for Eberle or Simmonds? Both are struggling this season, which might bring down their asking price, but have been consistent 50-60 point guys in the past.

Skinner and Silfverberg are also attractive UFAs, but I don't think they make it to free agency.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

I thought about this, and Markstrom+Eriksson for Schenider+Zacha(Struggling alot in the NHL) should be a deal to pursue.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I thought about this, and Markstrom+Eriksson for Schenider+Zacha(Struggling alot in the NHL) should be a deal to pursue.

I wouldn’t be opposed to that, although we may be out a starter if Schneider is as bad as NJ fans say and doesn’t rebound in Van. I’d prefer Schneider + a 1st to offset his negative value and hold onto Eriksson, assuming we can still re-sign our young guns.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Agree with you there. At the end of the day D is what we need.

I was reading up on pNHLe values recently. It attempts to predict future success based upon the age and point production of prospects. The Canucks have 4 defenders in the top26 Dmen prospects league wide: Hughes (#2), Rathbone (#15), Juolevi (#21) and Woo (#26). That is the most of any team. CHI is 2nd with 3 defenders in the top26. The two other names that caught my eye:

Josh Brook - MTL, was 13th on the list.

Dante Fabbro - NSH, was 22nd on the list.

VAN has to try and pry Brook away from MTL with Edler. They are depleted at LHD and are set at RHD. I also recall a rumour that Bergevin was interested in trading for Edler, but I can't seem to find it now. Even so, it's a natural fit for both teams.

Last, I hope Fabbro walks to FA and signs with VAN. I doubt it happens, but hey why not dream?

If we strike out on the good UFA wingers (Panarin, Stone), do we make an offer for Eberle or Simmonds? Both are struggling this season, which might bring down their asking price, but have been consistent 50-60 point guys in the past.

Skinner and Silfverberg are also attractive UFAs, but I don't think they make it to free agency.

I want Benning to hide his phone during this offseason. This is not a team, or more particularly a management team, that should be chasing FAs. They are bad at pro scouting and contracts.

I also wouldn't trade Eriksson for Schneider. Eriksson can at least play.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Eriksson and Schneider are both non-NHL players at this point. Given Eriksson has $5 million less real money remaining on his deal, you'd have to get some sort of decent add to make it work or the Devils taking another contract.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If its Panarin or Stone I could care less. Getting one of those two would be nuts!

Won't be as nuts when they're declining with a big contract around the time we might actually want to compete.

Top UFAs are things you sign when you're in "win now" mode. We're not in win now mode and we're not close to it.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I was reading up on pNHLe values recently. It attempts to predict future success based upon the age and point production of prospects. The Canucks have 4 defenders in the top26 Dmen prospects league wide: Hughes (#2), Rathbone (#15), Juolevi (#21) and Woo (#26). That is the most of any team. CHI is 2nd with 3 defenders in the top26. The two other names that caught my eye:

Josh Brook - MTL, was 13th on the list.

Dante Fabbro - NSH, was 22nd on the list.

VAN has to try and pry Brook away from MTL with Edler. They are depleted at LHD and are set at RHD. I also recall a rumour that Bergevin was interested in trading for Edler, but I can't seem to find it now. Even so, it's a natural fit for both teams.

Last, I hope Fabbro walks to FA and signs with VAN. I doubt it happens, but hey why not dream?

I've wondered if a Gaudette+Juolevi for Fabbro proposal would intrigue Nashville at all. Especially if the Canucks draft high and are taking another center.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Panarin wants to play for a big American city so I doubt he wants to come here anyway.

Yep, it's a total pipedream that he'd want to come to A) Canada B) A bad team with bad management C) Team with poor history with Russian players

Mark Stone, on the other hand, is an absolute two-way horse who can play PP/PK and will be a 27 year old UFA with at least 5 good years left in him.

Would be an absolute coup to get him and give us two excellent top-6 pairings in Horvat/Stone and Pettersson/Boeser, an insane PP unit. Would give 7 year 8.5MM deal in a pinch. And again, I doubt he makes it to UFA status, but if he does this is one of those once in a lifetime opportunities to get an actual good UFA.

Reactions: MS

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Yep, it's a total pipedream that he'd want to come to A) Canada B) A bad team with bad management C) Team with poor history with Russian players

Mark Stone, on the other hand, is an absolute two-way horse who can play PP/PK and will be a 27 year old UFA with at least 5 good years left in him.

Would be an absolute coup to get him and give us two excellent top-6 pairings in Horvat/Stone and Pettersson/Boeser, an insane PP unit. Would give 7 year 8.5MM deal in a pinch. And again, I doubt he makes it to UFA status, but if he does this is one of those once in a lifetime opportunities to get an actual good UFA.
The only problem chasing free agents is that Benning and company have congested our team with plugs on contracts and seem to be fine with this core.Unless they start to chop into this roster i dont see any signings happening unless they do something with goaltending or maybe defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad