2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Sending Gaudette down would be beneficial to everybody involved. I feel bad for the kid right now. And we’re certainly not getting anything done so might as well let him build up some confidence while also helping the others.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Sending Gaudette down would be beneficial to everybody involved. I feel bad for the kid right now. And we’re certainly not getting anything done so might as well let him build up some confidence while also helping the others.
Absolutely. He has more to offer but needs time in the AHL and that is okay. We've seen flashes of what he can do but right now he's trying hard to stay afloat and that takes away from his game.

Call up Gaunce and send both Gaudette and Schaller down.

Gagner Horvat Virtanen
Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Leivo Gaunce Eriksson
Roussel Beagle Motte

Yuck

One thing I've seen is that despite getting large d zone starts, Leivo has excelled in terms of possession. Gaunce has shown success here before. Might as well get those two on a line together.

Reactions: vanuck and vanarchy

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Cap is going up 8 million,

That should be enough for Canucks to pitch to a couple marquee free agents.

Stone/Bobrovsky is my wishlist to go along with a top 3 pick.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Stone would be great alongside EP or Horvat.

Bobrovsky on the other will likely get a contract close to franchise crippling material, no thanks.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Is this a joke? Edler is not a threat in the offensive zone. The only reason you think that is because of his point totals which are inflated by him being put on the top pp unit.

If you switched him and Tanev on the top pp unit, Tanev would get the same easy assists by simply passing the puck to EP or Boeser.
I think that because I've been watching both of these players since they made the roster. Tanev hardly shoots and when he does it's a bad shot. Edler isn't afraid to shoot, he gets it on net or at least in a good area for a tip, it's hard and accurate. Edler is more aggressive and ready to jump offensively.

Edler plays on the PK just like Tanev, he does what Tanev does and more. If you switched Edler and Tanev, Tanev still has 0 goals.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Edler isn't afraid to shoot, he gets it on net or at least in a good area for a tip, it's hard and accurate. Edler is more aggressive and ready to jump offensively.
I think we are watched 2 different teams. Edler rarely shoots on the pp and when he does, although his shots are hard, he doesn’t hit the net that often.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think that because I've been watching both of these players since they made the roster. Tanev hardly shoots and when he does it's a bad shot. Edler isn't afraid to shoot, he gets it on net or at least in a good area for a tip, it's hard and accurate. Edler is more aggressive and ready to jump offensively.

Edler plays on the PK just like Tanev, he does what Tanev does and more. If you switched Edler and Tanev, Tanev still has 0 goals.
And the notion that Edler does what Tanev does is ridiculous. He may play on the pk and in a lot of defensive situations like Tanev, but he isn’t even remotely close to being as effective at it as Tanev.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think we are watched 2 different teams. Edler rarely shoots on the pp and when he does, although his shots are hard, he doesn’t hit the net that often.
And I am glad that he doesn't when we have Pettersson and Boeser on that PP. On even strength though, he does get shots on net, much more often than Tanev and we both know who shoots the puck better.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
And I am glad that he doesn't when we have Pettersson and Boeser on that PP. On even strength though, he does get shots on net, much more often than Tanev and we both know who shoots the puck better.
Edit: didnt read the rest of your post.

Part of the reason why he gets more shots on goal is because he plays in more offensive situations because the coaches think he’s karlsson. But he doesn’t really do it at that high of a rate and they aren’t dangerous scoring chances.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Edit: didnt read the rest of your post.

Part of the reason why he gets more shots on goal is because he plays in more offensive situations because the coaches think he’s karlsson. But he doesn’t really do it at that high of a rate and they aren’t dangerous scoring chances.
Edler has been at least 2-3x more productive than Tanev offensively for his whole career. This isn't just 1 season, we can literally look at their career and see that Edler is a much better offence player.

And before you go on with "Tanev doesn't play on the PP", Tanev isn't good enough offensively to even be on the 2nd PP unit. He's a good even strength player but so is Edler. Being able to play on the PP well is a skill, it's not a stat padder. Their zone % are similar. They were a pairing for a few years before the last 1-2 seasons as well.

Reactions: sting101

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Edler has been at least 2-3x more productive than Tanev offensively for his whole career. This isn't just 1 season, we can literally look at their career and see that Edler is a much better offence player.

And before you go on with "Tanev doesn't play on the PP", Tanev isn't good enough offensively to even be on the 2nd PP unit. He's a good even strength player but so is Edler. Being able to play on the PP well is a skill, it's not a stat padder. Their zone % are similar. They were a pairing for a few years before the last 1-2 seasons as well.
Your stat argument still doesn’t hold water. Edler’s stats are inflated due to getting so much pp time. And he is awful on the pp. If we put someone that is more dynamic offensively in that spot, the pp would be much better.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Your stat argument still doesn’t hold water. Edler’s stats are inflated due to getting so much pp time. And he is awful on the pp. If we put someone that is more dynamic offensively in that spot, the pp would be much better.
That's not my argument. My argument is Edler is a better player than Tanev.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That's not my argument. My argument is Edler is a better player than Tanev.
Yeah but you tried arguing that Tanev doesn’t play on the pp because he’s not good enough offensively, and that argument is hypocritical since you’re defending Edler’s use on the pp even though he sucks at it.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Yeah but you tried arguing that Tanev doesn’t play on the pp because he’s not good enough offensively, and that argument is hypocritical since you’re defending Edler’s use on the pp even though he sucks at it.
You think he sucks on it, but you also think Tanev, a one-dimensional defenceman is better than Edler. Let's say Edler sucks on the PP, he's put up more even strength goals than Tanev in every season except 13-14.

The only thing Tanev does better than Edler is play marginally better defence. Edler has been to all-star games, he's consistently put up 30+ points, he's bigger, more physical. Edler's been higher on the depth chart, he's played more minutes than Tanev in every season, put up more points.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
You think he sucks on it, but you also think Tanev, a one-dimensional defenceman is better than Edler. Let's say Edler sucks on the PP, he's put up more even strength goals than Tanev in every season except 13-14.

The only thing Tanev does better than Edler is play marginally better defence. Edler has been to all-star games, he's consistently put up 30+ points, he's bigger, more physical. Edler's been higher on the depth chart, he's played more minutes than Tanev in every season, put up more points.
Marginally better defense? Don’t make me laugh.

Moving the puck up the ice is a big part of a defensemen’s offensive game but people don’t realize it because it doesn’t always amount to the defender getting points. And Tanev is SIGNIFICANTLY better at moving the puck than Edler.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Where did you read that the cap is going up 8 million? Most estimates I've read say its goin up to 83 million at the most which is a 3.5 million rise.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Player to target: Danton Heinen. BOS fans have turned on this player, and some have even suggested that he may not be re-signed. Perhaps the Canucks can throw Schaller and/or Granlund their way. Does anyone see a deal here?

Note: Virtanen isn’t likely going anywhere this soon. It was suggested that he would be a fit there as well.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Aside from the 8MM being wrong (projected at ~$3.5MM rise as per information released yesterday), even if that were true, the doesn't mean that only the Canucks get $8MM in extra cap space, it means everyone gets that cap space and drive up the prices with their new found $$.

I do agree that we are in slightly better position to bid for Stone, but very few guys like this actually make it all the way to UFA (Tavares was an exception). The main problem is how we've allocated $20MM on Gudbranson/Eriksson/Gagner/Roussel/Beagle for negligible contributions to this team.

A 31 year old UFA goaltender looking for top dollar. Gee this seems like a good idea for a team that could really use a mid-20's goaltender to maximize the primes of our top players.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Cap is going up but a team like Winnipeg is still going to get pretty squishy to keep Laine, Connor, and Trouba under contract past this year.

Mathieu Perrault has a cap hit of just over 4, he'd be guy I'd look to target to take off their books and gain some extra assets in the process. He's a quality player too.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Yeah would absolutely take Perreault off Winnipeg's hands. Would also take Kulikov too (essentially to replace Del Zotto/Pouliot on the roster next year) though he's not nearly the asset Perreault is, obviously.

Would also look into David Savard on Columbus, or Ryan Callahan on Tampa Bay.

Also wonder if Washington would part with Burakovsky. Think he'd be an intriguing option alongside Pettersson or Horvat.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Cap is going up but a team like Winnipeg is still going to get pretty squishy to keep Laine, Connor, and Trouba under contract past this year.

Mathieu Perrault has a cap hit of just over 4, he'd be guy I'd look to target to take off their books and gain some extra assets in the process. He's a quality player too.

WPG has luckily made two very astute long term bets on Schiefele/Ehlers at $6MM that will help them immensely, but yeah it'll get tight unless everyone can buy in, and from watching them and Trouba go at it every year, I don't see him taking less to keep together an elite team.

I would definitely take Perrault off their hands for the last 2 years of the deal if we received their 1st round pick or Niku + 2nd/3rd. We need young D in the absolute worst way. Has a 5 team NTC however.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Yeah would absolutely take Perreault off Winnipeg's hands. Would also take Kulikov too (essentially to replace Del Zotto/Pouliot on the roster next year) though he's not nearly the asset Perreault is, obviously.

Would also look into David Savard on Columbus, or Ryan Callahan on Tampa Bay.

Also wonder if Washington would part with Burakovsky. Think he'd be an intriguing option alongside Pettersson or Horvat.

Burakovsky would be a great guy to potentially buy low on. Always thought he was on the verge of breaking out but he doesn't seem to be in Washington's good books as far as playing time.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
One thing to think about now too is the Seattle expansion. Right now the 4 forwards we will guaranteed protect are Horvat, Boeser, Goldobin and Virtanen (EP40 exempt). The next 3 slots who knows with options of Sutter, Gaudette, Baertschi, Beagle, Rousell and Eriksson there. Additionally I am unsure of which of Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovic will be exempt still so they could also end up being protected if they have to.

Depending on what we do with Edler and Hutton this off season too the defense should be easier. Give Edler an over priced 1 year deal and tell him it's to avoid having to protect you at the ED but we will give you a fresh 2 year deal at a lower cap hit after the draft is over. Tanev if still here will be a UFA so we won't have to protect him. That would leave Hutton if kept to be protected along with for me personally Tryamkin. Hughes will be exempt and I am unsure about Juolevi if he's exempt, I don't think he is. This off season we will need to give a goalie a 2 year deal to meet ED requirements to be able to protect Demko.

I was hopeful we could get out of one of the bad forward contracts or Gudbrandson at the ED but it looks like Baertschi or Stecher will probably be the casualty. Does anyone know if we have to protect OJ? If we do it will mean we probably don't go after any of the big name UFA defenders this offseason. As well does anyone know which prospects for sure will be needed to be protected for forwards? Let's say that none of them do then my protected list with the current roster is as follows:

Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, Sutter, Baertschi, Gaudette (bolded could be switched if UFA brought in)
Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi (or UFA if he is exempt)
Demko

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Seattle is hiring already, and all signs point to an approved expansion. Vegas happened very fast after that, so we might get some mulligans on these contracts.

Resign:
Boeser at 5 x 5 years
Edler at 4.5 x 2 years
Hutton at 3.5 x 3 years
Goldobin at 2 x 2 years
Demko at 950k x 2 years
I would throw Gaunce in here too, at AHL maximum salary, since we know he will make the trip up and down a few times.
Let everyone else walk, unless they are amenable to a 2 way contract (not waiver exempt, just to keep the same pay on both sides)

Have Seattle to take some of our temporary contracts, soon to be redundant, in Gagner, Schaller and Markstrom. I honestly don't care what we get back, so long as it doesn't have salary attached. That's a reasonable starting package for a new franchise, with 2 versatile centers who can play wing, for a bottom six, and a starting goaltender, but not one so great you would feel bad taking Fleury or his equivalent this year come draft time.

Squeeze anyone interested in Roussel or Gudbranson too. This is more of a want than a need though. Either way, expose them, Eriksson, Beagle and Sutter when the draft happens. Replace a missing D with Juolevi (or more likely Hughes), and replace any missing forward with Gaudette or Dahlen or Lind.

On D, focus in on Stralman (say 4x2 years) and Gardner (5x5 years) to fill our our top four some. Offer Simmonds, Lee and Varlamov 6 million per season.

Baertschi-Horvat-Simmonds
Lee
-Pettersson-Boeser
Goldobin
-Sutter-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson
Gaunce

Gardiner-Tanev
Edler
-Stetcher
Hutton-Stralman
Gudbranson

Varlamov
Demko

Protect the bolded players (7-3-1 configuration), the underlined are new additions, we lose a big contract and come in under the cap by that contract. I think everyone wins here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad