2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
LA would be better served hanging on to Toffoli until the deadline and unloading him for picks. His shot rate at 5v5 is still good and he surprisingly doesn't have any PP points this year yet despite playing 2:36 a game (highest average of his career). He'll have decent totals by the TDL and LA shouldn't have to take on a bad contract to move him. They also have 2 retention slots open as well if they want to go that route.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i really dont think rentals are a good idea with a bloated roster and one of our next 2 1st rounders already gone.

My suggestions we would have Connolly and Burakovsky and we would have saved our 1st rounder from the Miller deal in the process. Not that i dont like Miller but Burakovsky is scoring at the same pace and is 2yrs younger.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33 and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His contract cleared waivers with 2 years left at the time when every team is cutting players...

He is and has been a productive NHL player very recently. When he has only a year left on his deal he's tradable. He's not andrew ladd or okposo.

Baertschi has never cleared 35 points in a season, is one of the most injury-prone players in the NHL, just cleared waivers, and has played like ass since his recall. He has 2 years left on an awful contract.

There is absolutely no way we can get an asset of any sort for this player.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, Baertschi's value is unfortunately very limited. Next summer you can maybe ditch him onto a team looking for depth following injuries to their regulars, but in exchange for another bad contract, not an asset.

Richard Panik is probably a close comparable - 1 point in 14 games this year on a 2.75M cap hit for the next four years, coming off a 33 point season. Similar injury plagued seasons, a high of 44 points once but not really ever close to that. Soft middle-6 winger that isn't good enough for the top-6, and is not at all suited for the bottom-6.

I would not be happy if we traded anything other than Loui Eriksson for Richard Panik lol

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Baertschi has never cleared 35 points in a season, is one of the most injury-prone players in the NHL, just cleared waivers, and has played like ass since his recall. He has 2 years left on an awful contract.

There is absolutely no way we can get an asset of any sort for this player.
Yet his ppg for several seasons is healthy and above replacement.
Again, cleared waivers at the beginning of the year with 100 other players and with 2 years on his deal. That isn't the same as tdl or offseason when its 1 year left.

Nobody said get an asset but you, I said a 7th. You said it would take a significant pick added to ditch him, and I disagree. I very much doubt they'd need to add a top 3 round pick to facilitate a trade for a nearly 0.5 ppg player.
If he gets injured so what, IR on the Canucks or another team accomplishes the same things.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Gudbranson was being scratched yet the Penguins were able to fully move his higher cap hit ($4M vs $3.37M) with the same remaining term in exchange for a two-way contract plus a 7th-round draft pick. Also helps that Baertschi's contract is front-loaded; as of today he is owed about $1.9M for the rest of this season and $2.4M for next season.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Baertschi is a warm body a team would be willing to add for a couple years. He unfortunately never took that next step for us.

I could see as teams have some injuries a possibility to package him up.

Buffalo has 2 guys Rodriguez and Vesey in the top6 without a goal this year and an excess of RD with Jokiharju Risto Miller and Montour maybe something to look at if they are not happy with Miller or Montours contract situations (roughly similar money) Montour is a RFA this summer though so that one is a little different but Miller may make some sense if they plan on keeping the other 3. Depends on how the organization sees Tryamkin and Rafferty soon also?

Btm line is he's moveable

jokar

Nov 23, 2019
Vancouver
yeow I'm new
Curious if Brodin could help on the back-end, but not sure what the Wild would ask for or even need other than a rebuild.

Reactions: lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yeow I'm new
Curious if Brodin could help on the back-end, but not sure what the Wild would ask for or even need other than a rebuild.
Brodin is a good player but i dont see the price tag being worth it. We need a Edler replacement going forward and that means someone with some size to play in a shut down role.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The asking price there would be insane. Konecny is a 22 y/o high-end two-way forward scoring at about a point-per-game. His value would be higher than Boeser and any other asset we had aside from Pettersson and Hughes.

Doubt Konecny would be worth more than Boeser

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Myers for Turris

I thought about this as well. From a contract perspective, it makes sense. However, there is still top4/top5 utility with Myers right now.

Turris is flirting with replacement level play as a mode moving forward. Dangerous contract to trade for, unless you’re sending a replacement level player back.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Konecny is a better player than Boeser.

With a better contract too. This is always and interesting talking point when it comes to discussing our "draft guru's" picks when the top rated player and top HFCanuck rated player was Travis Konecny—seems like it was pretty hard to **** that pick up.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Konecny is a better player than Boeser.
I disagree. Or, at least I would need to see a greater sample size than this year. Konecny is a point a game player over 23 games this year. So is Boeser. In his first 223 games, Konecny's rate was 0.53 pt/gm to Boeser's 0.83 pt/gm in his first 140 games (i.e. prior to this year). Now there might be other aspects of the game in which he's better. But you were the one who cited pts per game as a metric. Is it the "two way" game that makes him better?? I'd just like to understand the argument. Because, on the surface, pts/gm doesn't do it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I disagree. Or, at least I would need to see a greater sample size than this year. Konecny is a point a game player over 23 games this year. So is Boeser. In his first 223 games, Konecny's rate was 0.53 pt/gm to Boeser's 0.83 pt/gm in his first 140 games (i.e. prior to this year). Now there might be other aspects of the game in which he's better. But you were the one who cited pts per game as a metric. Is it the "two way" game that makes him better?? I'd just like to understand the argument. Because, on the surface, pts/gm doesn't do it.
It's pretty obvious.

Boeser is a one -way player getting nearly 70% offensive zone starts.

Konecny is producing similarly, on a shutdown line with Lindblom and Couturier.

He actually made no mention of the player's PPG stats, unless this goes back a lot longer than this page of the thread.

On top of that, Konecny is cheaper, more versatile and locked up for 6 years. I know MS likes the 3 year bridge to Boeser, but I think it's a mistake and in 3 years when he's getting closer to $10m and Konecny is at $5.5m he'll be seen as a hugely more valuable asset.

On top of that, I think Konecny is faster, better defensively, more physical. Boeser has more natural shooting talent to be sure. But 64% of Boeser's production is at EV strength, 84% of Konecny's is.

I think they're fairly similar in terms of value in vacuum, especially if you're grouping their whole careers, but this isn't a vaccuum and Konency is showing significant amounts of improvement and value beyond scoring.

Reactions: vanuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's pretty obvious.

Boeser is a one -way player getting nearly 70% offensive zone starts.

Konecny is producing similarly, on a shutdown line with Lindblom and Couturier.

He actually made no mention of the player's PPG stats, unless this goes back a lot longer than this page of the thread.

On top of that, Konecny is cheaper, more versatile and locked up for 6 years. I know MS likes the 3 year bridge to Boeser, but I think it's a mistake and in 3 years when he's getting closer to $10m and Konecny is at $5.5m he'll be seen as a hugely more valuable asset.

On top of that, I think Konecny is faster, better defensively, more physical. Boeser has more natural shooting talent to be sure. But 64% of Boeser's production is at EV strength, 84% of Konecny's is.

I think they're fairly similar in terms of value in vacuum, especially if you're grouping their whole careers, but this isn't a vaccuum and Konency is showing significant amounts of improvement and value beyond scoring.
Nice summary. MS is quoted on this page as saying "Konecny is a 22 y/o high-end two-way forward scoring at about a point-per-game." before saying "his value would be higher than Boeser". Fair enough that, since these are two separate sentences, he is likely making the value argument based on more than ppg. But it didn't really read that way, which is why I wanted to hear the broader rationale.
Also, I agree that prior to this year, Boeser was one dimensional. This year, his skating has improved, and he has shown a decent defensive game.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nice summary. MS is quoted on this page as saying "Konecny is a 22 y/o high-end two-way forward scoring at about a point-per-game." before saying "his value would be higher than Boeser". Fair enough that, since these are two separate sentences, he is likely making the value argument based on more than ppg. But it didn't really read that way, which is why I wanted to hear the broader rationale.
Also, I agree that prior to this year, Boeser was one dimensional. This year, his skating has improved, and he has shown a decent defensive game.
My pages must be different than yours, I don't see anything from MS other than a comment about Baertchi from last week and his comment that states "Konecny is a better player than Boeser".

Apologies if I was wrong, and I'm not ignoring MS, so I'm not sure where the misunderstanding comes from.

*edit I see that it was a continuation of the conversation from last week.

Boeser has made strides defensively, but I wouldn't call him good. He's being handled like a purely one way player.

Boeser has a 57% CF at 5 on 5, so does Konecny. Boeser starts in the offensive end 69%(nice :naughty:) of the time, Konecny 46% of the time. Konecny drives the play to the other end, Boeser not as much.

Both are good players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Konecny is a vastly superior two-way player to Boeser who basically matched Boeser’s ES production from 2017-19 in tougher minutes, but didn’t get any PP time. Now that he’s getting PP time, he’s matching Boeser’s overall production.

And has a better contract situation.

Reactions: iceburg

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
McCann has 14 ESP playing only 14 minutes a game. That's pretty impressive (no Canuck has more though several are close). Wonder if he's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad