2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Florida bleeds so many quality players.. they'd be a force if they kept a few. Bjugstad, McCann, Smith, Marchessault..
Pretty much. The way they've just thrown away talent over the past couple years makes you cringe, and that's coming from an outsider. :laugh: Something seems a little off regarding their talent evaluation.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I stil think we are 2 years away(1 after his year)

Need to shed some of the bad contracts Pearson, Schaller, Sutter, Sven, Spooner all come off the books.

Hopefully Hoglander, Podkolzin or Madden come in next year and one of them slot into Bo's wing and instead of going out through FA to find a 4th line, save $ and reward from within.

Lotto Line
X - BO - X
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Ferland - Beagle - Roussel

Hopefully Ferland or Gaudette put it together and then you can move one to Bo's wing, I think Gaudette is a winger more than a center anyways. We'll probably be stuck with Loui but atleast he can kill penalties and we fan bury him if needed

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Need to shed some of the bad contracts Pearson, Schaller, Sutter, Sven, Spooner all come off the books.

Hopefully Hoglander, Podkolzin or Madden come in next year and one of them slot into Bo's wing and instead of going out through FA to find a 4th line, save $ and reward from within.

Lotto Line
X - BO - X

Hopefully Ferland or Gaudette put it together and then you can move one to Bo's wing, I think Gaudette is a winger more than a center anyways. We'll probably be stuck with Loui but atleast he can kill penalties and we fan bury him if needed
That's not a bad framework, but if that's your roster for next season or two down the line, what do the extensions look like for Virtanen, Leivo and Gaudette in this scenario?

IMO they can't bring back Leivo at any more than his current rate.

Jake Virtanen has arbitration rights too, even if he just maintains his current pace (22g/35pt) he's going to triple his salary. This just illustrates that isn't going to be just out with the old in with the new and cheap. These guys need replacements, and these replacements need to be quality players.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Jake Virtanen has arbitration rights too, even if he just maintains his current pace (22g/35pt) he's going to triple his salary. This just illustrates that isn't going to be just out with the old in with the new and cheap. These guys need replacements, and these replacements need to be quality players.

I'm not sure about the "triple his salary" statement. One comparable might be Anthony Duclair, who had 19 goals / 33 pts last year and signed a 1 year deal with Ottawa for $1.65 million. Another might be Max Domi, who had much better and more consistent points totals and signed a 2 year deal with Montreal for $3.15 million. Virtanen tripling his salary would take him to $3.75 million.

Reactions: timw33

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm not sure about the "triple his salary" statement. One comparable might be Anthony Duclair, who had 19 goals / 33 pts last year and signed a 1 year deal with Ottawa for $1.65 million. Another might be Max Domi, who had much better and more consistent points totals and signed a 2 year deal with Montreal for $3.15 million. Virtanen tripling his salary would take him to $3.75 million.
Anthony Duclair has been on how many teams? He's a journeyman at this point. I wonder what Ottawa's plans are with him going forward.

I was looking at Burakovsky as a recent comp, and Baertschi as a comparable. He's got arbitration rights, and those arbitrators tend to base their judgements on production and if he crests 20 goals (Domi was coming off a 9 goal season) he's going to get paid. Lets just say his salary is expected to double at the least.

Reactions: tradervik

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
McCann has 14 ESP playing only 14 minutes a game. That's pretty impressive (no Canuck has more though several are close). Wonder if he's available.

Should not have been traded. Especially for what they got, obviously, but he should not have been moved. Even decent prospects are scarce.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver

Lotto Line
X - BO - X

I don't believe that Podkolzin will ever come before his contract is up in the KHL. He's almost guaranteed to play out his contract and will joinus the year after next.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Roussel is heading back to Vancouver following Utica's win in Toronto earlier today. Some cap hit must be cleared before his reactivation onto the roster.

member 290103

I don't believe that Podkolzin will ever come before his contract is up in the KHL. He's almost guaranteed to play out his contract and will joinus the year after next.

Haha, that's an awesome avatar. Well done.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
when Sutter is back I'd like to see Gaudette on Bo's wing for a consistent period of games

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Roussel is heading back to Vancouver following Utica's win in Toronto earlier today. Some cap hit must be cleared before his reactivation onto the roster.

they are $2.28m over the daily cap.

unless they ltir somebody, i think they will have to activate sutter and beagle to get to 13 forwards and send the three utica guys down.

if they ltir motte, they can keep one utica guy up. i suspect that is what will happen.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
they are $2.28m over the daily cap.

unless they ltir somebody, i think they will have to activate sutter and beagle to get to 13 forwards and send the three utica guys down.

if they ltir motte, they can keep one utica guy up. i suspect that is what will happen.

We'll find out soon; if I understand things correctly, Roussel must be activated tomorrow.

The non-buried portion of Baertschi's cap hit is $2.29M.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We'll find out soon; if I understand things correctly, Roussel must be activated tomorrow.

The non-buried portion of Baertschi's cap hit is $2.29M.

lol, that is quite a coincidence. they do currently have an open active roster spot so it is theoretically possible they activate roussel, trade baertschi and send nobody down.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
lol, that is quite a coincidence. they do currently have an open active roster spot so it is theoretically possible they activate roussel, trade baertschi and send nobody down.

Chatfield got called up not long after you posted this, filling that open roster spot. So now they need to clear a smidge over $3M in cap hit before Roussel is reactivated. Centre situation officially desperate with Graovac's injury and they can't carry Baertschi's salary much longer anyway. Here's the best plan that I can figure out:

1. Trade Baertschi for a decent depth centre currently in the AHL with a minimum or near-minimum cap hit
2. Send MacEwen or Goldobin back to Utica
3. Reactivate Roussel
4. Put Motte on LTIR
5. Call up the centre

Only other option would be to put Ferland on LTIR prior to reactivating Roussel. Still doesn't solve the conundrum of Baertschi's cap hit over the longer haul, nor the need for a depth centre.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Chatfield got called up not long after you posted this, filling that open roster spot. So now they need to clear a smidge over $3M in cap hit before Roussel is reactivated. Centre situation officially desperate with Graovac's injury and they can't carry Baertschi's salary much longer anyway. Here's the best plan that I can figure out:

1. Trade Baertschi for a decent depth centre currently in the AHL with a minimum or near-minimum cap hit
2. Send MacEwen or Goldobin back to Utica
3. Reactivate Roussel
4. Put Motte on LTIR
5. Call up the centre

Only other option would be to put Ferland on LTIR prior to reactivating Roussel. Still doesn't solve the conundrum of Baertschi's cap hit over the longer haul, nor the need for a depth centre.

i think they actually have a closer to $4m problem unless they put graovac on ltir.

i think if you send goldobin and mcewen down and put graovac and motte on ltir that might do it with no spare forward. or ferlund and graovac on ltir and keep mcewen up.

or they could swap mcewen to utica for a centre, but i think they move schaller or jt miller to centre until sutter or beagle can go. they don't actually have a better centre than those options to call up.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol, i have no idea how the cap works with de pietro being called up. cap friendly shows us at over $3m over on a daily basis, but somehow we still have $30k in cap space.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Ferland is the most likely candidate to go on LTIR. It was pretty obvious from the middle of the summer onwards that the team was going to pretty much have to have someone on LTIR all season. Unfortunately that means that 100% of Pettersson and Hughes' attained bonuses will get lopped off of next year's cap.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Ferland is the most likely candidate to go on LTIR. It was pretty obvious from the middle of the summer onwards that the team was going to pretty much have to have someone on LTIR all season. Unfortunately that means that 100% of Pettersson and Hughes' attained bonuses will get lopped off of next year's cap.

All in for the playoffs this year. Then next year no cap space, no 1st round pick, and probably no Tanev and/or Markstrom so it's back to the gutter we go.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
All in for the playoffs this year. Then next year no cap space, no 1st round pick, and probably no Tanev and/or Markstrom so it's back to the gutter we go.
Going to be interesting to see how the next 10 months unfold

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
lol, i have no idea how the cap works with de pietro being called up. cap friendly shows us at over $3m over on a daily basis, but somehow we still have $30k in cap space.

They can put Ferland and Motte onto LTIR. But that's a very short-term fix for an issue that has potential complications for the following two seasons.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
according to cap friendly, ferlund is now on ltir but roussel is not activated.

Somebody else has to be removed from the 23-man roster, then Roussel will be activated. They are probably sorting out injuries today and deciding who among MacEwen, Goldobin or Chatfield is the best choice to be sent down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad