2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Buyout window has shut and Roussel will be on ordinary IR, not LTIR
This is a big reason I hate the fully guaranteed contracts of the NHL. I know the PA would never agree to non guaranteed contracts as a whole overall. But adapting some of the NFL system, at the very least for fringe/depth type players.
Some system where you can release a player like Schaller but still be charged a small cap penalty? Similar to a buyout, where a percentage of the original contract is what you’re charged for the release. Like Schaller at 1.9 would get something like 190k to 250k or something like 10-20% penalty but the contract can be paid in full? You keep a hard cap but allow for better depth movement.

Urggh to the person who closed the last thread literally as I finished typing that reply out! (Shakes fist in anger)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I wonder what ferland does, kind of interesting he is still available

forget

Jul 6, 2019
If we’re bringing in any more guys it has to be on two years or less deals. I don’t think Ferland would be too interested in that.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If we’re bringing in any more guys it has to be on two years or less deals. I don’t think Ferland would be too interested in that.
If he is tho, 2 years of ferland at 4m per would be something I would do in a heartbeat.
Doubt he would.

Reactions: DFAC

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If Ferland comes here, where do you play him?

He’s not good enough to be on the first line, and he’s not a RW’er. Putting him on the 2nd line would make the Pearson trade a waste.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018

He’s not good enough to be on the first line, and he’s not a RW’er. Putting him on the 2nd line would make the Pearson trade a waste.

we got rid of the worst player in the NHL in that trade for a serviceable middle 6F, that trade is Jim Benning's greatest moment, will never be a "waste"

Reactions: Red

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

A waste? The Pearson trade was getting rid of Gudbranson, period. Pearson coming back was a contract with some cap. I don't think he was targeted to be a top 6 winger, but rather a bottom 6 fill in guy. If he can play at a top 6 level, fantastic, but it's not a guarantee. Anything he does in the top 6 is a bonus.

I don't want Ferland here because he would command too much, but at 4 million aav for 2 years, you pull the trigger on him. Nothing wrong with more size and grit.

Anyways, here are the best possible lines with what the Canucks have atm imo (Assuming Baertschi is done)

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Motte

All in all, a very underwhelming forward core still. Horvat still deserves better wingers, namely a 2nd line RW. Nyquist would have been that had the Canucks not wasted cap on trash.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
@ukcanuck @clunk. @UK Canuck

I think the point was trying to make was that I don’t see Ferland being much of an upgrade over Pearson.....if that. Pearson is a top 6 forward in my opinion. Outside of his stint in Pittsburgh and brutal start in LA in last year, he’s been in a 2nd line caliber player all his life.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Someone with Twitter should tell Patrick Johnson at the Province that he is an idiot. This is the third story of his I read that suggests we need to move players to make the cap. He even references CapFriendly and the need to move Brisebois and Sautner to Utica. If only he could click and/or look he’d see that we have 5.5 million in space with a roster of 27! Once we start moving people own we have lots of space to sign Boeser to put o 9 million AAV. How do these media fools keep their jobs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Someone with Twitter should tell Patrick Johnson at the Province that he is an idiot. This is the third story of his I read that suggests we need to move players to make the cap. He even references CapFriendly and the need to move Brisebois and Sautner to Utica. If only he could click and/or look he’d see that we have 5.5 million in space with a roster of 27! Once we start moving people own we have lots of space to sign Boeser to put o 9 million AAV. How do these media fools keep their jobs.

Patrick Johnson is pretty bad. I don't like to rag on journos too much, but he's like a copy editor that ended up writing because Postmedia couldn't afford anyone else after buying everyone out.

The worst is when he tries to do player evaluations. Those end of year report card pieces he did were brutally superficial, as is a lot of his stuff on trade and signing evaluations. He tries to sorta be a stats guy, but is clearly out of his depth.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Patrick Johnson is pretty bad. I don't like to rag on journos too much, but he's like a copy editor that ended up writing because Postmedia couldn't afford anyone else after buying everyone out.

The worst is when he tries to do player evaluations. Those end of year report card pieces he did were brutally superficial, as is a lot of his stuff on trade and signing evaluations. He tries to sorta be a stats guy, but is clearly out of his depth.

there's very few really interesting guys in the media tbh, especially since Botch passed, Harman Dayal of the Athletic is great though, his analytics articles are brilliant.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Show your work!

Who’s going down? They definitely don’t have the room to give Boeser $9m.

My quick math with Brock at 9 and Goldy at 1 is they can’t get to the cap without doing one of two things: exposing a guy who could be claimed or sending down Eriksson (the dream). And even then it’s it’s very very tight, which with the expected lineup is pretty embarrassing.

This is why people who said pay attention to the cap now into the future, a few years ago. They’re bouncing off the upper limit with a mid pack at best team with their superstar on his ELC.

Yikes when he’s in $10m+.

Reactions: The Drop

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Show your work!

My quick math with Brock at 9 and Goldy at 1 is they can’t get to the cap without doing one of two things: exposing a guy who could be claimed or sending down Eriksson (the dream). And even then it’s it’s very very tight, which with the expected lineup is pretty embarrassing.

This is why people who said pay attention to the cap now into the future, a few years ago. They’re bouncing off the upper limit with a mid pack at best team with their superstar on his ELC.

Yikes when he’s in $10m+.

CapFriendly says otherwise. If Boeser was at 9M (I highly doubt he will get anything close to that) and Goldobin at $1.3M they are fine with Rousell starting on injured reserve. IF they move nobody out, Gaudette will start in Utica. Schaller will be buried. If Boeser signs for closer to $7M (far more likely) they don't even need to put Rousell on LTIR.
EDIT: I guess it's a problem if you're concerned about exposing Schaller...
upload_2019-7-7_8-19-46.png

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I still don’t think we can bring in a legit top 6 winger without moving a contract (ala sutter, baertschi, etc). And really don’t think ferland fits into that so why use more cap on another potential 3rd liner? Pass.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
CapFriendly says otherwise. If Boeser was at 9M (I highly doubt he will get anything close to that) and Goldobin at $1.3M they are fine with Rousell starting on injured reserve. IF they move nobody out, Gaudette will start in Utica. Schaller will be buried. If Boeser signs for closer to $7M (far more likely) they don't even need to put Rousell on LTIR.
EDIT: I guess it's a problem if you're concerned about exposing Schaller...
View attachment 243359
Kind of the point. Very little wiggle room and you need IR to make it work.

Ideally I think they’d love more flexibility. Or they wouldn’t have bought out Spooner.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Kind of the point. Very little wiggle room and you need IR to make it work.

Ideally I think they’d love more flexibility. Or they wouldn’t have bought out Spooner.
Again, it's highly unlikely that Boeser signs for close to $9M. It's not a problem this year. In two years, however, Eriksson, Roussell, Beagle, Luongo will still be on the books, they'll have to find decent replacements for Edler, Tanev and Benn (or re-sign) and all of Pettersson, Hughes, Markstrom and Stecher will be getting big raises. It's not ridiculous to think that these four plus Boeser will be taking up close to 50% of the cap.
It's not this year so much, it's two years from now that the bad contracts will be preventing them from being more competitive.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Again, it's highly unlikely that Boeser signs for close to $9M. It's not a problem this year. In two years, however, Eriksson, Roussell, Beagle, Luongo will still be on the books, they'll have to find decent replacements for Edler, Tanev and Benn (or re-sign) and all of Pettersson, Hughes, Markstrom and Stecher will be getting big raises. It's not ridiculous to think that these four plus Boeser will be taking up close to 50% of the cap.
It's not this year so much, it's two years from now that the bad contracts will be preventing them from being more competitive.

That's what we've been saying.

Yet the Benning bros kept claiming "the cap doesn't matter, we're rebuilding!"

And now we have a capped-out, mediocre team with a poor prospect pool. And no first round pick in one of the next two years. Just a masterful job.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
That's what we've been saying.

Yet the Benning bros kept claiming "the cap doesn't matter, we're rebuilding!"

And now we have a capped-out, mediocre team with a poor prospect pool. And no first round pick in one of the next two years. Just a masterful job.
I understand. Some were upset that they couldn't sign a top 6 forward this year because, in Benning's words, the Luongo recapture and the Spooner buyout. First, this is a ridiculous argument when they have Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Schaller on the books for roughly $16M. Second, I couldn't care less about another top six forward this year. It's just not relevant to me. In two years, when they have to pay Boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson and they have to find another two top 4 D-men, and Eriksson and Beagle are still here, they are in a heap of trouble.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
In two years, when they have to pay Boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson and they have to find another two top 4 D-men, and Eriksson and Beagle are still here, they are in a heap of trouble.

How?

They have more cap worries now and next year than they will in 2 years when they have to re-sign hughes, and petterson. They aren't in a perfect situation but they are definitely fine.

The cap will go up. US tv deal ends prior to that offseason, so with a new contract, the cap will be going up. I'll be safe and say the Cap should be around 84mil then.

buyout eriksson, save 2mil. or trade his last season to a team that wants to hit cap +pciks/retention

miller 5mil - pettersson 10mil - boeser 7mil
? - horvat 5.5mil - podz 925k
hoglander 925kl - gaudette 3mil - madden 925k
roussel 3mil - beagle 3mil - ?

hughes 7mil - myers 6mil
woo 892k - stetcher 5mil
?- ?
?

demko 4mil
dipietro 815k

recapture penalty 3.033

This leaves 13.7mil. (if erikssons full cap is traded in his last season this goes up to 17.7mil. if 50%retained 14.7)
Thats with most likely overpaying gaudette, stetcher, and hughes.

For dmen they still have tryamkin, juolevi to see first. which im confident 1 of will be a top 4.
The biggest problem is their forwards. they need another good winger or 2. a legitimate #1d as well lol.
They also have 2 seasons of development and drafts that could play into finding those forwards

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Thinking out loud:

To Edmonton: Eriksson + Baertschi
To Vancouver: Lucic + Puljiujarvi

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Puljiujarvi
Lucic-Sutter-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How?

They have more cap worries now and next year than they will in 2 years when they have to re-sign hughes, and petterson. They aren't in a perfect situation but they are definitely fine.

The cap will go up. US tv deal ends prior to that offseason, so with a new contract, the cap will be going up. I'll be safe and say the Cap should be around 84mil then.

buyout eriksson, save 2mil. or trade his last season to a team that wants to hit cap +pciks/retention

miller 5mil - pettersson 10mil - boeser 7mil
? - horvat 5.5mil - podz 925k
hoglander 925kl - gaudette 3mil - madden 925k
roussel 3mil - beagle 3mil - ?

hughes 7mil - myers 6mil
woo 892k - stetcher 5mil
?- ?
?

demko 4mil
dipietro 815k

recapture penalty 3.033

This leaves 13.7mil. (if erikssons full cap is traded in his last season this goes up to 17.7mil. if 50%retained 14.7)
Thats with most likely overpaying gaudette, stetcher, and hughes.

For dmen they still have tryamkin, juolevi to see first. which im confident 1 of will be a top 4.
The biggest problem is their forwards. they need another good winger or 2. a legitimate #1d as well lol.
They also have 2 seasons of development and drafts that could play into finding those forwards

Unless Demko takes very significant steps this year, I can’t see the Canucks moving Markstrom.......especially in light of the fact that they just traded for Miller and are clearly making a more aggressive push for the playoffs.

My guess is that both Boeser and Hughes will be given 4 year bridge deals so that the Canucks can keep their cap hits low (future risks would be attached obviously). Pettersson will get an 8 year deal, but my hope is that he takes a deal similar to that of Sebastian Aho’s as opposed to a John Tavares.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
when the canucks need to re-sign petterson and hughes the expansion draft is happening, meaning the canucks would have already made their decision between demko and markstrom. one of the 2 wont be on the team. markstrom will be taken/traded or demko traded

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Show your work!

you need to sign into capfriendly to publish a roster. the guy below my post screenshot i think and explained everything. (thx to iceberg).

Also re your comment that it requires LTIR, it really doesn't. In iceberg's posted team there is more than 2.3 million in cap space. if Roussel goes on the roster than someone comes off. Any player you take off will result in more than the necessary .7 mill needed.

Of course as others said boeser is not going to get 9 and we are going to have injuries. it was just to demonstrate that we have more room than some people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad