2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
While I agree that we should have more strong players surrounding EP and Hughes I given our draft history I disagree on two things:
1. The amount of growth we should still expect from our young players.
2. That it isn’t remarkable to have gotten a franchise center and D without at least top 3 pick.
History shows that doesn’t happen often.
Look at Toronto. Matthews number 1. Marner number 3. And Rielly another high pick and I think Hughes will be better.

Anyways I will leave it at that. I still think there is lots of room for the rebuild to fail even with the critical pieces in place. I also think we will need a new management group to get us there
I just took issue with what essentially looks like blame on the superstar players on the team for the team being on the bubble, because they’re young.

And I think expecting too much more out of these guys will leave you disappointed. They’re already premier players. The team quality needs to improve greatly around them to be successful. They’re already doing enough.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I just took issue with what essentially looks like blame on the superstar players on the team for the team being on the bubble, because they’re young.

And I think expecting too much more out of these guys will leave you disappointed. They’re already premier players. The team quality needs to improve greatly around them to be successful. They’re already doing enough.
Fair enough. I’m not actually blaming the superstars for the team being a bubble team. I think it’s unrealistic at this stage in their careers to put that kind of expectations on them. I do however think that we have not yet seen close to their potential. As I said I think EP has top 5 two way center potential and he’s not nearly there yet. Same with Hughes.
I think where we both agree is that they need better support players. Miller was a good first step but more is still needed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fair enough. I’m not actually blaming the superstars for the team being a bubble team. I think it’s unrealistic at this stage in their careers to put that kind of expectations on them. I do however think that we have not yet seen close to their potential. As I said I think EP has top 5 two way center potential and he’s not nearly there yet. Same with Hughes.
I think where we both agree is that they need better support players. Miller was a good first step but more is still needed.
I think they’re closer to their potential than you think. What are your expectations of these players at their peaks? 150 points?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they’re closer to their potential than you think. What are your expectations of these players at their peaks? 150 points?
It's less about overall points which is not how I measure players than their overall game improving.
EP I expect to hit 100 points and become a top two way center. He's currently on pace for 84 points. Even just looking at points he has a lot of potential to improve but his two way game can still grow as well.
Hughes I expect to improve points wise and also to become a much more complete player.
One guy is in his sophomore year and the other is a rookie. I think improvement should definitely be the expectation given the talent level that both have. It's rare that skilled players don't improve significantly after only 1.5 and .5 years in the NHL.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's less about overall points which is not how I measure players than their overall game improving.
EP I expect to hit 1oo points and become a top two way center. He's currently on pace for 84 points. Even just looking at points he has a lot of potential to improve but his two way game can still grow as well.
Hughes I expect to improve points wise and also to become a much more complete player.
One guy is in his sophomore year and the other is a rookie. I think improvement should definitely be the expectation given the talent level that both have.
Yes it’s expected but you keep saying they aren’t close to what they will be and I think that’s an exaggeration.

I think they’re already very good players and I think expecting a drastic difference in their games now vs at their peak is setting yourself up for disappointment. Sure they’ll be refined and stronger but I’m not sure the change in levels will be as drastic as your comment they’re “not close to what they will be” suggests.

thanks for the chat

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes it’s expected but you keep saying they aren’t close to what they will be and I think that’s an exaggeration.

I think they’re already very good players and I think expecting a drastic difference in their games now vs at their peak is setting yourself up for disappointment. Sure they’ll be refined and stronger but I’m not sure the change in levels will be as drastic as your comment they’re “not close to what they will be” suggests.

thanks for the chat
Likewise. Appreciate the discussion.
Cheers.

Reactions: 420Canuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Quinn Hughes picked up his 25th assist of the season last night so he hit one of his Schedule A bonuses. He'll very likely hit some more markers and get the max bonus he can. So coupled that with potential bonuses Pettersson can hit and factor it into next seasons cap figure.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Quinn Hughes picked up his 25th assist of the season last night so he hit one of his Schedule A bonuses. He'll very likely hit some more markers and get the max bonus he can. So coupled that with potential bonuses Pettersson can hit and factor it into next seasons cap figure.
Reading the bonuses in play he is not a lock to hit many of them. He should hit points, ppg, icetime and nhl all rookie team, but others like 10 goals, top 2 d for plus minus, allstar team, allstar mvp are not likely.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Reading the bonuses in play he is not a lock to hit many of them. He should hit points, ppg, icetime and nhl all rookie team, but others like 10 goals, top 2 d for plus minus, allstar team, allstar mvp are not likely.

He only has to hit 3 more to max out his schedule A bonuses though for $850K. Not sure if Quinn has Schedule B bonuses in his contract like Elias has though(another $2M). Capfriendly doesn't mention them and they're usually bang on. As it stands the Canucks will likely be looking at $1.7M in bonuses for both players and potentially $3.7M if EP is top 10 in major stats category or top 5 in trophy voting(Hart? Lady Byng?).

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He only has to hit 3 more to max out his schedule A bonuses though for $850K. Not sure if Quinn has Schedule B bonuses in his contract like Elias has though(another $2M). Capfriendly doesn't mention them and they're usually bang on. As it stands the Canucks will likely be looking at $1.7M in bonuses for both players and potentially $3.7M if EP is top 10 in major stats category or top 5 in trophy voting(Hart? Lady Byng?).
Oh that is how it works. Thanks for clarifying. Along with the other info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad