2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Eriksson Sutter Leivo, barf. they are going to be hard matched and get 20 minutes opening night. we'll probably win too since the oilers suck.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Eriksson Sutter Leivo, barf. they are going to be hard matched and get 20 minutes opening night. we'll probably win too since the oilers suck.

Didn't he mean Beagle?

Can't imagine the plan is for Baertschi to play with Beagle...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
There is a fundamental problem here with the 3c and 4c...they are both 4cs.
It is really destroying the make-up of the forward lines. I would much rather see a solid shutdown 4th line with Beagle/Motte/Leivo and take a chance on a play making centre at 3c that could centre Virtanen and Baertschi.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is really destroying the make-up of the forward lines. I would much rather see a solid shutdown 4th line with Beagle/Motte/Leivo and take a chance on a play making centre at 3c that could centre Virtanen and Baertschi.

Yup. Sutter is an ok 3W or 4C but as a 3C he’s a weak link.

Like you, I’d go with 3 scoring lines and use the #2 and #4 lines as matchup lines.

When you have a high-leverage guy like Horvat holding down a scoring line you can use for matchups, you don’t need two full-blown checking lines behind that.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
When you have a high-leverage guy like Horvat holding down a scoring line you can use for matchups, you don’t need two full-blown checking lines behind that.

Yeah, due to Gaudette's pre-season, they should look at moving Sutter to RW and bury him and Beagle in their own end with brutal deployment.

Roussel Gaudette Baertschi
Leivo Beagle Sutter

Let Virtanen or Eriksson fight over Roussel's roster spot until he returns.

On the flip side, the Canucks best season in franchise history did have 2 defensive lines behind a Selke calibre 2C...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, due to Gaudette's pre-season, they should look at moving Sutter to RW and bury him and Beagle in their own end with brutal deployment.

Leivo Beagle Sutter

On the flip side, the Canucks best season in franchise history did have 2 defensive lines behind a Selke calibre 2C...

For once we agree completely. That's basically exactly how I'd build the roster as well. Put Leivo on that 3rd line and Eriksson on the 4th until Roussel is back.

Although the 4th line in 2011 was basically just a mis-match of 6-8 minute garbage collectors with no defined role - Glass, Oreskovich, Tambellini, Bolduc, Desbiens and the like. Lapierre was acquired to give that line more structure and defensive push and then Malhotra was immediately hurt so he ended up as the #3 center instead.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Yep it really screws up the forward roster when 50% of the time you have sluggish checking players who can't score anchoring two of your lines, not a recipe for consistently winning games.

A lineup with Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette centering lines 1-3 is a more optimal lineup for generating offense, but I don't think the team has any appetite to go in that direction.

Reactions: iceburg

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Leivo Beagle Sutter

It was a different era. For most of NHL history the model has been 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and a limited minutes garbage 4th line (obviously there are exceptions, like the mid-90s red wings). Starting in the early 2010s, analytic- and cap-driven management led to the rise of the 4 line team with scoring throughout the lines.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
It was a different era. For most of NHL history the model has been 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and a limited minutes garbage 4th line (obviously there are exceptions, like the mid-90s red wings). Starting in the early 2010s, analytic- and cap-driven management led to the rise of the 4 line team with scoring throughout the lines.

I think it will change from that relatively soon as well. With teams essentially playing 3 lines, with a 4th line consisting of just specialty players. Guys that can't take a regular shift but are unbelievably skilled on the PP being the most likely skillset to hide on the 4th line.

If dmen can play 25-28 minutes a night, you have to think 3 lines could carry all the ice-time up front.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I know we're sitting here discussing the merits of Goldobin/Motte/Sautner/Fantenberg going on waivers and being concerned about losing them...but has anyone looked into the potential players we could possibly claim that other teams may waive?

Like we're talking about dime a dozen players coming from a shallow organization. You have to imagine better teams are going to be waiving higher caliber talents.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Like we're talking about dime a dozen players coming from a shallow organization. You have to imagine better teams are going to be waiving higher caliber talents.

This is where I think so many Canuck fans are off base. IMO the bottom end depth of the organisation right now is strong. Certainly stronger than league average. I would be surprised if a player on waivers was good enough for the Canucks to claim, but wouldn't be surprised if Canuck property gets claimed. Though it is maybe a bit less likely if the Canucks have multiple players on IR.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
right now I see

Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
Leivo/Sutter Gaudette Baertschi
Sutter Beagle Schaller
Virtanen

When Roussel comes off the IR, then I see,

Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
Leivo Beagle Sutter
Schaller

Eriksson, Goldobin, and Motte should be sent down. While Virtanen should be considered in trade discussions. Sutter could also be a likely candidate to be traded.

Very interested to see who will be on the Canucks final roster in the next few days.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Ferland has been trash on the top line the last 2 years yet seems to still be in peoples lineups....
Michael Ferland is not a top line player. And probably never will be.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Ferland has been trash on the top line the last 2 years yet seems to still be in peoples lineups....

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I firmly believe Ferland will be a "forced" experiment on the top line for quite sometime.
Ferland when signed was mentioning how he was seeking a greater role, and he think he found it.
I also think having him on Petey's line is good for a few reasons. Ferland should create more space for Pettersson, while serving as a protector. Also having him on the top two lines makes our whole lineup pretty well balanced.

This could also be a lineup,

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Baertschi
Roussel Gaudette Sutter
Leivo Beagle Virtanen

The possibilities are endless. That's what makes the final cuts this season so interesting.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Agree,we are still under Jim Bennings delusions thinking and hoping that one time his ufa signings will be a home run...have not really seen anything that has made any difference at all yet.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Miller - Horvat - Boeser
Ferland - Pettersson - Goldobin
Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo
Pearson - Beagle - Sutter
Virtanen

Line 1: Offensive line 2, Two-way line 1
Line 2: Offensive line 1
Line 3: Offensive line 3, Two-way line 2
Line 4: Defensive line 1

Forwards Waived: Eriksson, Schaller, Motte
IR: Roussel

The scoring is spread out over the top 9. Scratch Virtanen to start the year. Light a fire under him and make him storm his way back onto the team. Move Pearson when Roussell is healthy if a move has to be made. Also look to trade Sutter throughout the year.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Yep it really screws up the forward roster when 50% of the time you have sluggish checking players who can't score anchoring two of your lines, not a recipe for consistently winning games.

A lineup with Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette centering lines 1-3 is a more optimal lineup for generating offense, but I don't think the team has any appetite to go in that direction.
Gaudette is making a case and making their decision difficult. That pass to MacEwen tonight was seriously good.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This is where I think so many Canuck fans are off base. IMO the bottom end depth of the organisation right now is strong. Certainly stronger than league average. I would be surprised if a player on waivers was good enough for the Canucks to claim, but wouldn't be surprised if Canuck property gets claimed. Though it is maybe a bit less likely if the Canucks have multiple players on IR.
Goldobin/Sautner/Motte/Fantenberg aren't dime a dozen players? Can't say I agree there. I don't think anyone can truly be disappointed to lose any of these players to waivers and while it's possible they're claimed, they wouldn't be a big loss, just like Leipsic last year. Same goes for Schaller.

I'm not really one to rank bottom end depth of organization, I don't think it's as important as depth of top end talent, but if you wouldn't mind I'd be interested to see your work on what makes them stronger than average. Just off the top of my head, but wouldn't a deep organization have a much more successful AHL affliate both in terms of wins and developed players?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It’s incredibly cute that so many still get caught overrating the fringe Canucks players and secondary prospects. It makes sense when you all you do is follow the Canucks but it leads to some pretty wack takes.

Reactions: cookiefest and MS

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
In an ideal, meritocratic world I'd like to see them run with Baertschi-Gaudette-MacEwen as an offensively-inclined 3rd scoring line, with a 4th line to take on secondary defensive matchups. Hopefully they're experimenting with that trio as a possible line at some point this season. You don't need Sutter in the 3C spot if you've already got Horvat and Beagle after all...

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Ferland - Petterson - Boeser
Miller - Horvat - Gaudette
Pearson - Sutter - Leivo
Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev
Benn - Myers
Hughes - Stecher

Markstrom

If I'm trying to ice the best team right now.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
If Eriksson makes this team it is truly an embarrassment. He does nothing out there.

I agree. If Eriksson makes the team after that lackluster training camp and preseason, then this team is a joke. It will go against everything that Benning\Green has been preaching in the offseason.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Goldobin/Sautner/Motte/Fantenberg aren't dime a dozen players? Can't say I agree there. I don't think anyone can truly be disappointed to lose any of these players to waivers and while it's possible they're claimed, they wouldn't be a big loss, just like Leipsic last year. Same goes for Schaller.

I'm not really one to rank bottom end depth of organization, I don't think it's as important as depth of top end talent, but if you wouldn't mind I'd be interested to see your work on what makes them stronger than average. Just off the top of my head, but wouldn't a deep organization have a much more successful AHL affliate both in terms of wins and developed players?

The best way to judge is to watch how waivers play out. If nobody hits the waiver wire that appears to be an upgrade on our roster, while we lose players to waivers, it will put into perspective teams relative strength at the bottom end.

The Canucks have a couple guys that I think will get claimed if waived - Motte and Goldobin. Would be very surprised if someone on waivers from elsewhere could crack this roster. The roster is deep at the bottom end.

It's high up the depth chart where the team needs more strength. Especially on defense.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I agree. If Eriksson makes the team after that lackluster training camp and preseason, then this team is a joke. It will go against everything that Benning\Green has been preaching in the offseason.
Just depends. Can he put up 30 points? If so, they're going to use a 6 million dollar player with experience over a sub 1 mil player who can put up the same points. I think he'll stay on the team purely because of how much he's making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad