2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so can some check my cap math

the canucks ended up within $166k of the cap with these roster moves. meaning they have $2.833m in ltir room available so long as roussel is hurt. they will accrue virtually no cap relief with this roster.

so long as roussel is hurt, they could recall baertschi by reassigning any player to utica using the ltir relief.

however, once roussel is healthy, they need to find $2.2m in cap room to be able to recall baertschi.
to be able to do this without an ltir player they would need to demote two plays making more than $1.075m to bury enough cap and then play a man down on the roster.

other than baertschi, they can recall anyone from utica by demoting any player.

there is no way to meaningfully improve this situation without trading a player or losing them on waivers or an injury. if they were to call up baertschi and waive eriksson their cap situation would be identical if eriksson cleared.

there is no way for this team to add at the tdl without moving salary.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

the canucks ended up within $166k of the cap with these roster moves. meaning they have $2.833m in ltir room available so long as roussel is hurt. they will accrue virtually no cap relief with this roster.

so long as roussel is hurt, they could recall baertschi by reassigning any player to utica using the ltir relief.

however, once roussel is healthy, they need to find $2.2m in cap room to be able to recall baertschi.
to be able to do this without an ltir player they would need to demote two plays making more than $1.075m to bury enough cap and then play a man down on the roster.

there is no way to meaningfully improve this situation without trading a player or losing them on waivers or an injury. if they were to call up baertschi and waive eriksson their cap situation would be identical if eriksson cleared.

And, once Roussel is off LTIR we'll have 166k to pay for short term injury replacements (costs $4,160 per day on roster for a $750,000 replacement) so we'll have like 35-40 days of near league minimum short term injury replacements available to us which is incredibly tight. If we encounter a situation where we need to call up a couple players for two weeks, that's just eaten up $116,000 of the $166,000 that needs to last us an entire season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think that i was off a little.

baertschi can also swap with another player making at least what he makes.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

A recall of Baertschi would only add $1.075M because the rest of his cap hit remains on the books even while he is in Utica.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
A recall of Baertschi would only add $1.075M because the rest of his cap hit remains on the books even while he is in Utica.

In practice it would add nothing or close to nothing because he'd be replacing another player whose pay up to that same $1.075 million would come off the books.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I sort of understand what Green is doing with our defensive pairings but I think they're miscast right now. I like the defense much more this year then in year's past and I really like management identifying needs that have been problems for years. But I feel like the defensive pairings are off.

I think breaking away Tanev to mentor and school Hughes has thrown the whole balance of the defense off. While I appreciate you want arguably your defensively smartest and seasoned vet to handle your blue chip rookie prospect, I think breaking up what's been the top pairing forever has thrown the rest of the chemistry off. I appreciate it's just the beginning of the season but I hope we return to an Edler-Tanev top pairing once Hughes gets his legs under him. You really have to respect the defensive glue that is Chris Tanev and how he's able to be an on-ice general in his own end.

Huge fan of Myers. We've needed a player like him for a decade. Myers brings so many things this team has desperately needed for years on top of being an NHL vet who can eat minutes which is another thing this team was desperate for. But he's being exposed and not being utilized to the maximum of his potential being played with Edler.

I understand the logic of what they're trying to do with all this but I don't think it's viable for more than a rocky short-term. I realize this is ****y armchair quarterbacking but Green is going to have to shake this up sooner then later I think.

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
In practice it would add nothing or close to nothing because he'd be replacing another player whose pay up to that same $1.075 million would come off the books.

If someone else is demoted, yes, but as a short-term injury callup it would be an additional hit of $1.075M.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Would like to see Baertschi called up, and send Schaller down. The Schaller experiment is just not working.

With Baertschi back in the lineup, it could help out the powerplay units.

Put Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, and Miller/Myers/Edler together. While Bae can help out the second unit with Gaudette, Pearson, Edler and whoever.
I would like to see the powerplay lines going back to the way they were last year because they are just not working as it is.
Leivo is horrible on the top unit, and the Canucks are trying to make something that he's not.

Put Baertschi back on a line with Horvat, or move him on the third line with Gaudette and Virtanen. Giving the Canucks 3 lines that can potentially score.

I wouldn't mind trying Miller with Boeser and Pettersson for a game, just to see if he can help pick things up.
Baertschi has great chemistry with Horvat so it could be worth trying to shuffle the lines a bit.

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Pearson
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Eriksson/Leivo Beagle Sutter

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
It’s time to split up Boeser and pettersson. Boeser doesn’t work at all anymore like he did with Horvat. He just coasts expecting petey to just find him. Also don’t know what Schaller brings to this team.

Send down Schaller bring back baerstchi.

Ferland pettersson Miller
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Baertschi Gaudette Sutter
Leivo beagle virtanen
Eriksson

Teams have to choose do they deploy their shutdown pairing and line on pete and Miller or Horvat and Boeser. Baertschi and Gaudette worked well in pre-season. Place Sutter on their wing to be there to pick up the defensive slack green is afraid of. 3 legitimate scoring lines

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cquant

May 14, 2015
What would we have to add to Goldobin to get Ho-Sang? And do we even want Ho-Sang? Seems like with all the leadership we have on the team, he could profit and maybe show some consistency.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Miller Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Pearson
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Eriksson/Leivo Beagle Sutter

Maybe swap Leivo and Virtanen and this is pretty much how I'd run it. I'd like it to be Jake but he's too unpredictable and hard to play with for that line to be successful IMO.

I think it's the best lineup on paper.

Going to be interesting to see how they run it when Motte and then Roussel get back.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
What would we have to add to Goldobin to get Ho-Sang? And do we even want Ho-Sang? Seems like with all the leadership we have on the team, he could profit and maybe show some consistency.

Both were on waivers and went unclaimed so I doubt theres any interest there

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
So listening on 650 today they were talking a lot about how Stecher might be available. I don't really understand what the long term plan is on the right side unless they are convinced they can spend some more cash in UFA on RD

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So listening on 650 today they were talking a lot about how Stecher might be available. I don't really understand what the long term plan is on the right side unless they are convinced they can spend some more cash in UFA on RD

What's the problem Myers, Tanev, Rafferty or move Benn over and put Brisebois/Fantenberg on the left. Done.
Chatfield is floating around as well. Great depth!

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
With how little of icetime Stecher has been getting, I wouldn't surprised to see him traded by Benning.
It sucks to see him go from getting big minutes last year, to virtually nothing the following season. Stech was one of the very few bright spots last season on a dismal team. Definitely not the defenseman that I would be looking to trade. That is unless we get a considerable upgrade, In which I don't think Benning is capable of doing.

member 290103

Green doesn’t like Stecher. It’s clear.

The team will regret it when they give him away for nothing and he flourishes elsewhere...as soon as Linden left, so did support for Stecher.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Stetcher for Kapanen

But overall I don't want to see Stetcher traded. First time in a long time that our defense isn't our biggest problem and we move two RDs? No thanks.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I agree with splitting up Petey and Boeser after next game if they still remain scoreless.

Ferland-Petey-Miller
Pearson-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo
Virtanen-Beagle-Sutter

that’s the forward group I would run with.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If they wanted to trade Stecher, why not keep Biega as their third pairing RD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad