Baertschi Gaudette Sutter
Schaller Beagle Leivo
Motte

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher
Fantenberg Biega

Waive-
Eriksson. Feel bad for the guy, but convincing him into walking away from that contract is crucial.
Goldobin. Likeable young kid, but doesn't suit a Travis Green team.

Trade Virtanen for the best available pick.

When Roussel returns, bump Sutter down to play on Beagle's wing.

Stecher belongs on Edler's right side, but it will take Baumgartner 20 games to realise it. Myers and Benn in easy deployment.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
People seem to be forgetting about the PK. It was 11th in the league last year and Sutter, Beagle, Granlund, and Motte were top 4 in PK/TOI for forwards. Schaller and Eriksson were the next two. Nobody from the top 6 should kill penalties except Bo and Tanner, but do you really want them out there? There's only about 3 wingers that have experience killing penalties in the bottom 6 and it's Schaller, Motte and Eriksson. The young wingers have no experience plus they aren't steady defensively.

As bad as Schaller is, Virtanen has been worse and only offers offence which is nonexistent. Goldobin's couple chances a game is not worth having to shelter.

Reactions: crazyforhockey

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Opening night I would like to see:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Miller
Pearson - Sutter - Virtanen
Leivo - Beagle - Motte

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher
*Could easily swap Myers/Stecher*

Goldobin, Fantenberg, Biega

I would give Baertschi first crack at the top 6, but have him on a fairly short leash, and either bing Goldobin in or Pearson up a line if he struggles out of the gate.
Revised:

Ferland - Pettersson - Goldobin
Pearson - Sutter - Gaudette
Eriksson - Beagle - Leivo

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher

Biega, Virtanen, Motte

IR: Roussel, Boeser, Fantenberg

I wouldn't say Goldobin has "earned" time on the top spot, but I think Miller and Horvat have shown a little chemistry, and Baertschi has in the past. Pearson and Gaudette can quickly slide up the lineup if needed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The best way to judge is to watch how waivers play out. If nobody hits the waiver wire that appears to be an upgrade on our roster, while we lose players to waivers, it will put into perspective teams relative strength at the bottom end.

The Canucks have a couple guys that I think will get claimed if waived - Motte and Goldobin. Would be very surprised if someone on waivers from elsewhere could crack this roster. The roster is deep at the bottom end.

It's high up the depth chart where the team needs more strength. Especially on defense.
I guess I just disagree with calling it strength, instead of a calling it what it is - a glut of replacement level players.

Like it should doesn't make sense to me to say "look at all the 7-9 defensman and 12-16 forwards the canucks have....what a strength", if you know what I mean.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
am i correct the canucks will want to be as close to the cap as possible without going over to maximize ltir usage to start the season?

that could have more impact on the roster than their actual line up plans.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
pettersson ferland boeser
horvat pearson miller *
sutter, gaudette baertschi
beagle, schaller, leivo
virtanen, eriksson

edler tanev
hughes myers
benn * stecher
biega

i'd be shopping for a 2 for 1 upgrade or a token payment for waiver fodder, but not holding my breath.

i assume roussel and fantenberg are on ltir. brisebois gets paper waived on the expectation fantenberg will be ready quickly. eriksson goes when he is ready. motte goes down now partly on merit and partly to up his chances on clearing compared to keeping him around until fantenberg is back and then him being the only guy on waivers.

i think no need to put boeser on ltir even if eligible.

this is on merit. i might be higher on motte if i'd seen him more. i don't have a handle on the ltir cap implications of the season opening roster which could involve some juggling.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Ferland - Pettersson - Goldobin
Pearson - Sutter - Gaudette
Eriksson - Beagle - Leivo

Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher

Biega, Virtanen, Motte

IR: Roussel, Boeser, Fantenberg

What do you even do with this rabble long-term?

If I was putting together a team to win a cup in 3-5 years, it would look something like this from the Canucks' current cast.

Petterson - Boeser
Horvat - Miller
Gaudette

Myers
Hughes - Stecher

That's pretty ugly with nothing in the system.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
am i correct the canucks will want to be as close to the cap as possible without going over to maximize ltir usage to start the season?

that could have more impact on the roster than their actual line up plans.

Yea, it would be a benefit to be as close as possible before putting Roussel on LTIR

The closest to the cap they can currently get is by waiving Goldobin and Biega which would leave them with roughy 3k cap space before putting Roussel on LTIR. But you would lose Biega. Or Fantenberg and Goldobin leaving 33k space but you risk losing Fantenberg

The other options in increasing weirdness are waiving Goldobin, and paper transaction of Hughes. That would leave 100k

Paper transaction of Hughes and Pettersson is 125k space.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Question for everyone. Would you rather trade Virtanen for a 2nd/3rd round pick, or a similar player also struggling like a Puljujarvi(not necessarily him but a player in his situation)?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Question for everyone. Would you rather trade Virtanen for a 2nd/3rd round pick, or a similar player also struggling like a Puljujarvi(not necessarily him but a player in his situation)?
If ...we had to trade JV..I would prefer it be for an equal prospect who is struggling..I think the odds are higher, of JV's maturity level rising (and him taking his craft more seriously)..than what we would receive in a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Even though JV's conditioning wasn't up to standard, and he'll most likely start the season in the press box...If anybody can kick his butt,and get through to him..it's Green.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sutter and Virtanen for Kris Russell and Puljujarvi

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Baertschi - Gaudette - Puljujarvi
Schaller - Beagle - Motte/Leivo
Motte/Leivo

Waive Schaller when Roussell returns.

Edler - Myers
Hughes - Tanev
Benn - Stecher
Russell
Biega

Markstrom
Demko

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

A pick, no question.

We don't have an NHL roster spot to develop these struggling project players and we are still not picking with enough frequency in the first 3 rounds.

Reactions: MS

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I would rather into a Goldobin for Puljujarvi trade. I've been wanting something like Goldobin +3rd/4th for Puljujarvi to happen for a while now. If it's Virtanen instead then take out the pick and have it be a straight swap.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Is Markstrom getting the bulk of the starts or is this going to be a platoon? Whats the likelihood of Demko taking the starting job this year?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Is Markstrom getting the bulk of the starts or is this going to be a platoon? Whats the likelihood of Demko taking the starting job this year?
Zero percent.

Probably atleast a 55-60 starts for markstrom

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
LwfqJUV.png

Since signing with Karpat, they've taken 9 out of 11 and he's tied for leading point getter.

While Bustanen on the other hand....

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Take the pick. Canucks can't afford to take on a project until they find a way to clear out some of the bottom 6 dross.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
One thing Benning has creatively done with his trade to Tampa has made me not all to interested in looking at next year's NHL draft rankings from the perspective of the Canucks finishing out of the playoffs. Subtly genius.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Trade Baertchi for scraps if you can get anything back otherwise waive, waive Goldobin and send Gaudette to Utica for seasoning.

Ferland/Pettersson/Boeser
Pearson/Horvat/Miller
Eriksson/Sutter/Virtanen
Schaller/Beagle/Leivo
Motte

Edler/Tanev
Hughes/Myers
Benn/Stecher
Fantenberg/Biega

Markstrom
Demko
Ha, I was damned close.

If only I had remembered they always waive Biega.

I think maybe this time it burns them ;)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Man every year there are cheap depth players available on waivers at literally no cost.

And yet, every year we're stuck paying millions on horrible contracts to 4th liners that don't offer any tangible difference over these guys. Just a total gongshow when it comes to evaluation and cap management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad