OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I've been re-watching game of thrones in-between the release of the new episodes, and boy does it highlight how bad the writing in the series has become. Oh well, not many shows are good beyond 4 or 5 seasons.

I still can't get over how they were building up the night king, the white walkers, and the army of the dead for 8 years and that's how they decided to end it. So little logic and consequences for actions, so much plot armor.

Reactions: Hansen

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I've been re-watching game of thrones in-between the release of the new episodes, and boy does it highlight how bad the writing in the series has become. Oh well, not many shows are good beyond 4 or 5 seasons.

I still can't get over how they were building up the night king, the white walkers, and the army of the dead for 8 years and that's how they decided to end it. So little logic and consequences for actions, so much plot armor.
They’ve gone beyond the source material.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
This guy's Jeopardy run is insane. To call him the Wayne Gretzky of trivia would be selling him short. Absolute monster. I'm not a fan of Jeopardy or anything, but runs of overwhelming dominance in anything to this degree just don't happen. It's absolutely unreal and a treat to watch.

I still can't get over not having Kingslayer kill the night king for that satisfying redemption arc, instead they'll probably have him kill Cersei. Jamie should have killed the night king and maybe died at Cersei's hands if his character dying by the end of the show is what's best, but just once again being named Kingsguard would probably be fine. Arya killing the night king was trash. Her killing Cersei would be more meaningful and she didn't even do her magical faceless assassin stuff to kill NK. She should have at least been one of the corpses feigning death rather than just appearing out of nowhere. Brutal.

Alternatively a twist where the night king isn't actually the night king but just the top "general" or whatever with Bran revealing himself to be the true night king would be pretty neato.

The whole episode was awful though. Cavalry thing, hiding in the crypts with corpses and no guards, Dany just landing her dragon, Ghost just running in and never being seen again, the way Arya killed NK, artillery outside the walls and fired once, nobody manning the walls, no spikes on the walls. Honestly NK could have just marched right past Winterfell anyway, or even just a short siege would have been catastrophic.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
This guy's Jeopardy run is insane. To call him the Wayne Gretzky of trivia would be selling him short. Absolute monster. I'm not a fan of Jeopardy or anything, but runs of overwhelming dominance in anything to this degree just don't happen. It's absolutely unreal and a treat to watch.

I still can't get over not having Kingslayer kill the night king for that satisfying redemption arc, instead they'll probably have him kill Cersei. Jamie should have killed the night king and maybe died at Cersei's hands if his character dying by the end of the show is what's best, but just once again being named Kingsguard would probably be fine. Arya killing the night king was trash. Her killing Cersei would be more meaningful and she didn't even do her magical faceless assassin stuff to kill NK. She should have at least been one of the corpses feigning death rather than just appearing out of nowhere. Brutal.

Alternatively a twist where the night king isn't actually the night king but just the top "general" or whatever with Bran revealing himself to be the true night king would be pretty neato.

The whole episode was awful though. Cavalry thing, hiding in the crypts with corpses and no guards, Dany just landing her dragon, Ghost just running in and never being seen again, the way Arya killed NK, artillery outside the walls and fired once, nobody manning the walls, no spikes on the walls. Honestly NK could have just marched right past Winterfell anyway, or even just a short siege would have been catastrophic.

They should of held at Moat Cailin or the Twins.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
*sigh*

Well that episode was not good, but at least we could clearly see what was happening.

- Isn't the point of flying up so high to see any enemies in the distance and not be attacked/killed so easily?
- Perfect accuracy on the first three shots from far away to kill a dragon, then like 20 from close range can't hit the other one.
-Cersei could have killed Danny and Jon right there, or at the very least killed the last dragon which would have been very fitting for her character, but instead just let them all leave. The only threat to them on the wall was the dragon.

Anyway, I'm guessing we see an armored dragon next week.

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Where was Cersei's army at the time? Did we know?
She held out in Kings Landing.
This new episode was a lot better than the last episode. I enjoy that they are moving past fan service and being brutal again. For the these last two seasons it's honestly felt like "fan" favorite characters all got along and with no conflict.

However, they still have characters behaving uncharacteristically for the sake of a "cool scene". Like Cersei not shooting down Danny and the gang. If she is willing to sacrifice thousands of innocence just to prevent Danny from burning down the city. Then you really question her motive of not just gunning down Danny and the gang when they were within range.

I can nit-pick the episodes to death, but I've accepted that the writing is probably going to be shoddy for the most part. So I'm not judging the series as I would have during seasons 1-3. Big gripe with Cersei not being consistent.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
*sigh*

Well that episode was not good, but at least we could clearly see what was happening.

- Isn't the point of flying up so high to see any enemies in the distance and not be attacked/killed so easily?
- Perfect accuracy on the first three shots from far away to kill a dragon, then like 20 from close range can't hit the other one.
-Cersei could have killed Danny and Jon right there, or at the very least killed the last dragon which would have been very fitting for her character, but instead just let them all leave. The only threat to them on the wall was the dragon.

Anyway, I'm guessing we see an armored dragon next week.

Completely agree with you on the dragons, seems like they ran out of budget with the GCI. When they were story boarding the season I guarantee that they just went,"The knight king killed one dragon so we need to have Cersei kill the other". Then they just built the "cool scene". Also, why is Missandei in the f***ing red keep as a hostage? Why is she there just to hear Cersei talk about her pregnancy?

Also, characters are teleporting around again for convenience sake just like in Season 7.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Tonight's episode was pretty good. Much better than last week. I could nitpick a few things but it was always going to be impossible to wrap this show up. At least tonight stayed true to everyone's character arcs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My thoughts...

I really enjoyed last week’s episode and I really enjoyed this week’s, but that’s not to say either was anywhere near perfect. I actually like the direction they are going with Dany, Tyrion, Jon and all of this - the character stuff is compelling as all get out. But for this stuff, which is well done, we get a very inconsistent arc from Jamie - which is lousy, as he had one of the best long term arcs on the show - and essentially sacrificing a dragon to say “see, look how badass and big of a threat Euron is!” And a few other lamely executed things as well.

I’m reminded of the old adage “the books are always better”. That rings true again here. Again, it’s great theatre and spectacle and a supremely entertaining show, but there has been some definite laziness / sloppiness in the writing since they outpaced the source material.

I fully expect Dany to go Mad Queen next week - Missandei’s final word being “dracarys” was certainly a big motivator. I guess the big question is how her own allies will react when it results in thousands of innocent people being put in harm’s way?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Apparently they left a cup of coffee in view in one of the scenes :laugh:

it's around 16:21
1g4e7ol57lw21.png
gwrqpja8vkw21.jpg

Reactions: Hansen

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I felt like some of what happened (and what didn't happen) in that episode was simply as a result of poor and rushed writing. For example, how the f*** does Euron pop up at Dragonstone with his huge fleet without Dany seeing him from hundreds of feet in the air? And then he lands three perfect sniper shots on a moving dragon, but then when Dany rushes him head on 40 shots miss, Stormtrooper style? And why the f*** doesn't Dany torch his fleet after he does miss? Why does she back off? The dragon should have just died at Winterfell, like it seemed to have in the first place.

And then the scene at the parley, why doesn't Cersei just massacre them? She has never been above that sort of thing, she blew up the Sept, she sent Bronn to kill Tyrion and Jamie. There is no reason for her not to slaughter Dany and her small army who are within range. Even the dragon is just sitting there.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I feel like a lot of the stuff people are saying about this season mirrors what I was saying about last season and I'm curious to know where the breaking point was for people. Like, it's been this way for a long time. Setpieces > story.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I feel like a lot of the stuff people are saying about this season mirrors what I was saying about last season and I'm curious to know where the breaking point was for people. Like, it's been this way for a long time. Setpieces > story.
Since season 4 when the show departed the books its been crumbling apart

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s still phenomenally entertaining television, to me. Nowhere near the caliber of the early seasons and books, and some definite plot contrivances, but it’s still an epic show. IMO.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You mean a "Jumping the Shark" moment?

That's the thing, really. There hasn't really been one of those. It's just been this gradual decline of writing quality since they went off-book and everyone seems to have their own breaking point for when they started to notice it.

For me it was last season when

characters just seemed to teleport all over the place and it seemed like all these adjunct scenes would occur for the sole purpose of having a scene where that occurs, even though it makes little sense and does nothing to advance the story. Sub-plots like the Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger story made absolutely no sense and were just handled in the most ham-fisted, poorly-written way. The final scene of that sub-plot had me in tears I was laughing so hard. It was like a WWE shoot. But it seemed like I was on an island and everyone else loved season 7...

...but with season 8 it's become even more obvious, where 80% of the season so far has just been random scenes of "wouldn't it be cool if THAT HAPPENED!!!! OMG" garbage fanfic that is just written in such a terribly cheesey fashion that I am literally covering my face when and cringing half the time. Part of me thinks that some of the people who think this is new should go back and re-watch season 7 because IMO it's not, but like I said, it's interesting that everyone seems to sort of have their own sort of breaking point with it. And even some others would say that it's been like this longer than I noticed it! But I was pretty much with the show through S6.

I've reached a point where I can't wait for it to finish. I am just hanging on because I want to see how it ends. Only two more episodes left, thank f***.

Reactions: PM and Nuckles

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's just been this gradual decline of writing quality since they went off-book
Shouldn't be too much of a surprise though considering one of the "writers" also was a screenwriter on X-Men Origins: Wolverine film where they had Deadpool's [Ryan Reynolds] mouth sewn shut.:laugh: Imagine if they continued that with the Deadpool movie franchise?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Hey guys, i'm a musician who's taking a final break before starting a new album cycle and visiting Vancouver for the first time at the end of this month.

Anyone got some hints/ideas/etc. My sunday is booked up, but i'll be there Thursday-Sunday.

Also, even though i'm on vacation, i think i'd like to hit up an open mic (more to watch than perform), and would love a pointer in that direction.

Sorry to derail your thread. Appreciate y'all

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This site burns through phone battery like nothing else I’ve ever seen before. I wonder how much shit is going on in the background. I go to a lot of sites regularly and nothing kills battery like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad