OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
GoT is soooooooo bad.
I kind of like it just to see it crumble, like a train wreck in slow motion.

Writing, man.

As I get older, I honestly can't watch movies/shows with awful writing anymore. I just can't do it. I purposely watch no Marvel movies because Disney literally hires the worst writers and pumps out the shittiest product for the cheapest price to get the paycheque.

Hate stuff like that. These writers just gave up. This season is awful.

Reactions: Nuckles and WTG

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Finally watched “Swiss Army Man” the other night. Actually quite enjoyable. It kinda reminded me of the movie “Rubber” about the tire

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man. GoT.

It’s still a well made and well acted show. But the writing has certainly taken a dive.

I don’t have a problem with Danaerys’ arc. In fact, when the show was actually following the source material, her character arc was littered with hints this may happen. That all changed when the show outpaced the book and the writing became less subtle - there’s been a distinct lack of foreshadowing of this over the last three and a half seasons or so, prior to the last couple of episodes. But that’s a minor gripe compared to the botch job on Jamie’s character arc. Having him run back to Cersei as his one true love and “nothing else matters” feels like a complete reversal of everything his character had done prior to this point. That’s certainly a piss off.

And then of course, having the plot dictate the action so obviously is annoying as hell. One freaking spear gun nailed a dragon with three clean shots through cloud cover in the last episode, and hundreds of them couldn’t even come close when she was flying right at them in this one. Some lazy writing there, too.

Anyways. Compelling stuff headed into the finale. What the hell happens now? Cersei is gone, Danaerys has won, but at what cost? How the heck is Jon going to react? Is Tyrion going to pay the price for setting Jamie free? The preview gives away nothing. But yeah, I don’t think there’s any coming back from that for Danaerys. I wonder if the story comes full circle...everything kicked off with a Mad King, and we end with a Mad Queen?

member 290103

Anyone see that ending to the Raptors game? What a dramatic shot to close it out. Movie like

Man that was epic. Crazy exciting. Player like Kawhi make such a difference - they just always seem to be able to make shots like that when it counts.

On an aside, does anyone else think that Marcus Stroman and Kyle Lowry are basically the same guy?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So I wanted to wait until the final episode had aired before I wrote anything on GoT, but well I just can’t wait.

The writing killed the show like Euron killed the dragon... with much confusion and poor execution.

This episode wasn’t a bad stand alone episode. Like if I had never seen another episode I probably enjoy this. When really it just takes a crap on everything I loved about this show.

I haven’t had the same issues many here have, I liked the first two episodes and Arya killing the Night King. Thought they did kill off three major characters who were with us from day 1 in Jorah Theon and the Dathraki. While the battle plans were stupid they were true to how these characters would fight. The Dathraki charge.

What makes it bad is it is no longer character driven, but plot. Jamie going back to Cersie is fine, but his night with Brienne is ruined, and it kind of ruins Jamie’s turn as well. You can only have one of these two things. Trying to have both hurts both stories. That is what this season has done. I mean I really didn’t know what Jamie’s motivation was, was he going back to his love or was he going to redeem himself by killing her.

That’s the problem. Why is everyone suddenly against Danny after the long night? It makes no sense.

Clagagnebowl... what a waste.[/spoilers]

Reactions: I in the Eye

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly can't believe how much they've butchered the show. This episode was the final nail in the coffin. Just stripping every character of their best traits and ignoring all character development to tell their own story.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the main problem is that they just rushed it, and I don't really get why. There is plenty of source material, and obviously the show has insane ratings. They could have done a few more seasons and built towards danys heel turn much more carefully. But everything since last season just feels so rushed. Like they need to get from point a to point b so fast it doesn't matter how they get there. Ever since they went off book it's like they've just hit fast forward. In some ways I guess it's good, since there was some meandering particularly with Dany, but the problem with hitting accelerate is that you lose a lot of characterization. Suddenly people are doing things that don't make sense because you didn't take the time to build up to it.

I won't get into all the weeds of it for this episode, which I mostly thought was boring. The show is stupid and has been for some time now. I am so glad there's only one more episode of this nonsense.

I don't have as much of a problem with the major plot points as some, but just the execution is so maddeningly God awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think the main problem is that they just rushed it, and I don't really get why. There is plenty of source material, and obviously the show has insane ratings. They could have done a few more seasons and built towards danys heel turn much more carefully. But everything since last season just feels so rushed. Like they need to get from point a to point b so fast it doesn't matter how they get there. Ever since they went off book it's like they've just hit fast forward. In some ways I guess it's good, since there was some meandering particularly with Dany, but the problem with hitting accelerate is that you lose a lot of characterization. Suddenly people are doing things that don't make sense because you didn't take the time to build up to it.

I won't get into all the weeds of it for this episode, which I mostly thought was boring. The show is stupid and has been for some time now. I am so glad there's only one more episode of this nonsense.

I don't have as much of a problem with the major plot points as some, but just the execution is so maddeningly God awful.

I don't know, it definitely seems like this contributes to the awfulness. Then I remember this is the same writer who thought it would be a good idea to write Deadpool having his mouth shut.

While it does seem rushed I think they could get past some of that with just better writing and keeping the character motivation clear and having that drive the plot. Why does Danny's turn feel rushed? Not because of time, but because there was so little actually pushing her in this direction. I still don't fully understand why she did it. Dan and Dave's reason makes no sense. They just thought she should for the plot and made her do it. Just like I have no idea why Sansa doesn't like Danny. turns out she was right to not like her but why would you not like her? She came to the North and sacrificed a lot to save you. Or why after four seasons of believing in her Visyrs just turned on her. Again he was right to, but why did he turn so fast?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
You guys complain about everything eh? Absolutely enjoyed the last episode of GoT, two epic battles so far.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
For those of you asking about draft tickets

Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks, in partnership with the National Hockey League, announced ticket details today for the 2019 NHL Draft presented by Adidas. Tickets will go on sale to the public on Thursday, May 23 at 10:00am PST through Ticketmaster.ca and are expected to sell quickly.
EVENT INFORMATION

The 2019 NHL Entry Draft is being hosted in Vancouver, B.C. at Rogers Arena on Friday, June 21-Saturday, June 22, 2019. This marks the third time the Canucks and the City of Vancouver will host the league-wide event. The 1990 NHL Entry Draft was held at BC Place Stadium, and in 2006 at General Motors Place, now Rogers Arena.
TICKET INFORMATION

Ticket availability for the NHL-led event is extremely limited. Lower bowl seating is primarily reserved for Draft eligible players and their families, broadcast locations, and related media needs.
General Public Onsale

Tickets will go on sale to the general public via Ticketmaster.ca on Thursday, May 23 at 10:00am PST.
Round 1: Friday, June 21 at 5:00pm
  • Ticket Price: $27.20
  • Seating: Lower Bowl: Assigned seating
  • Upper Bowl: Assigned seating
  • Ticket Limit: Four (4) seats per account
Rounds 2-7: Saturday, June 22 at 10:00am
  • Ticket Price: $11.50
  • Seating: Lower Bowl: Assigned seating
  • Upper Bowl: General admission
  • Ticket Limit: Eight (8) seats per account
Canucks Full Season Ticket Members have the first opportunity to secure tickets on May 16 followed by Half and Quarter Season Ticket Members on May 21.
To receive notifications of any additional ticket releases in lead up to the event, please visit canucks.com/draft and sign up to the ticket information list.

@xtra @Mr. Canucklehead @Canadian Canuck

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
When it comes to the writing of GOT this is a great twitter thread to read and a lot of what you guys are saying is echoed.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Man. GoT.

It’s still a well made and well acted show. But the writing has certainly taken a dive.

I don’t have a problem with Danaerys’ arc. In fact, when the show was actually following the source material, her character arc was littered with hints this may happen. That all changed when the show outpaced the book and the writing became less subtle - there’s been a distinct lack of foreshadowing of this over the last three and a half seasons or so, prior to the last couple of episodes. But that’s a minor gripe compared to the botch job on Jamie’s character arc. Having him run back to Cersei as his one true love and “nothing else matters” feels like a complete reversal of everything his character had done prior to this point. That’s certainly a piss off.

And then of course, having the plot dictate the action so obviously is annoying as hell. One freaking spear gun nailed a dragon with three clean shots through cloud cover in the last episode, and hundreds of them couldn’t even come close when she was flying right at them in this one. Some lazy writing there, too.

Anyways. Compelling stuff headed into the finale. What the hell happens now? Cersei is gone, Danaerys has won, but at what cost? How the heck is Jon going to react? Is Tyrion going to pay the price for setting Jamie free? The preview gives away nothing. But yeah, I don’t think there’s any coming back from that for Danaerys. I wonder if the story comes full circle...everything kicked off with a Mad King, and we end with a Mad Queen?

Jamies ark doesn’t bother me and felt pretty true to his character. He always stuck by her and always loved her even when he knew he shouldn’t. He had to return for his baby and his one true love. It’s like we people return to spouses who abuse them there is something there they can’t leave. His time with Brienne showed him he needed to return to Cersei and his unborn child. He was always going back to her.

The bigger issue with the episode was how easily Cersei folded no tricks just over confidence. I expected that city to be a bomb and that she would rather burn it all down than lose. She just gave up after being one of the smartest most conniving characters on TV

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I wouldn't call Michael Bay movies well made, nor would I call this show well made. It's expensive,and some of the effects artists definitely had talent. That's about it.
They're like the chinese food of movies (Michael Bay). I don't don't mean quality chinese food but Panda Express type of chinese food (heh, I realize many consider that food absolute trash but hey, I eat too much fast food). It is what it is. But you know that going in those type of movies. I expected more from a GOT show. But that's just me.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
The effect artists have been doing great this season, last episode was amazing visually. This season has been rushed big time though, it should be two 8 episode seasons atleast. 8 seasons of lead up for just parts of two episodes to wrap these huge plots is a joke. HBO got very greedy and trying to make the most money for the least work. granted the remaing characters are making big bucks for this season it is still a huge disservice to the fans with this sloppy rushed writing

Reactions: Hit the post

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I thought last night's GoT episode was the best one since season 6. And my hot take to end all recent GoT hot takes: the writing isn't even that bad. The problem is the production decision of trying to wrap up the show with so few episodes. Everything is glossed over now instead of going into the detail we became accustomed to in seasons 1-4. However with so few episodes to tie everything together I don't see how the writers ever stood a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad