OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
The effect artists have been doing great this season, last episode was amazing visually. This season has been rushed big time though, it should be two 8 episode seasons atleast. 8 seasons of lead up for just parts of two episodes to wrap these huge plots is a joke. HBO got very greedy and trying to make the most money for the least work. granted the remaing characters are making big bucks for this season it is still a huge disservice to the fans with this sloppy rushed writing

HBO wanted 10 seasons it was the show runners who ended it and limited seasons 7/8.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Ah that makes sense. Just crazy. Its been a treat to watch for a long time though.

It’s been enjoyable for sure and this and last season definitely are more plot then character driven. I do feel it’s a bit rushed they definitely could have flushed some things out further.

I don’t however think it’s as bad as the internet says it is. I think it’s sort of become the thing to shit on it.

I mean visually it’s impressive (especially episode 5), the acting is quality, the writing is very plot driven and the characters have taken a back seat but that’s because they capped the episodes at too few.

The arcs people are complaining about are over blown maybe rushed but we were going that way the whole time. I’m not particularly surprised by the ark any character has taken. It was sort of what I seen for them.

Though perhaps I have a different perspective than most as I never watched the show. I watched the first 7 seasons in the 5 weeks leading up to season 8. So the character development and subtle hints to
Character paths are all very fresh.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
While I haven't been a fan of the last two seasons I really don't get why people are, like, "upset" about it. If you
think this came "out of the blue" then I guess you haven't been paying attention? Dany has been pretty unlikeable for awhile now, and they alluded to this several times. I really can't grasp how people are acting like this behaviour from Dany came from nowhere. Where have you been all season? Basically every scene has been a "Dany is no better than Cersei" demonstration.
Like the writing sucks, it's ham-fisted with terrible dialogue and a some really poorly-executed cheesey ideas that feel completely rushed, but in terms of the major plot points, therre haven't been any real "surprises" apart from
how lame and easy-to-defeat both of our villains (the night king and cersei) ended up being. Did people think Dany was going to take the throne gracefully and then they lived happily ever after? What the f*** show have they been watching?

More than anything, I thought last night's episode was just a collosal bore. 45 minutes of peasants running around while Dany throws the worlds longest hissy-fit and Cersei stands and looks in the distance with apparently no plan.

I actually found Cersei to be the most disappointing character. I mean that's it? You've had how long to plan for this battle and you're just going to stand there with that dumb smirk on your face? I kept expecting the twist to be her to reveal some crazy thing she's cooked up; this is the woman who blew up the f***ing sept of Baelor! But no, she'll just go downstairs and cry. what the hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

9fa7209cfbfaa0cded053160a7aa8136.jpg

6'0 vs. 5'11

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Kind of odd that the issue of Cersei paying Bronn to kill Jamie (and Tyrion) is kind of forgotten by Jamie as I suppose he wanted the old “in and out” with his sister too much and overlooked that. So much for his redemption arc. Dumps the woman Knight after sampling the goods and runs back to incest. Speaking of which, where is Bronn? I guess he’ll finally get his castle, heh, the Red (ashes) Keep.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Kind of odd that the issue of Cersei paying Bronn to kill Jamie (and Tyrion) is kind of forgotten by Jamie as I suppose he wanted the old “in and out” with his sister too much and overlooked that. So much for his redemption arc. Dumps the woman Knight after sampling the goods and runs back to incest. Speaking of which, where is Bronn? I guess he’ll finally get his castle, heh, the Red (ashes) Keep.

That was my big issue with Jamies Arc. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. I think the arc works better without him and Brienne together. The show really stopped looking at character motivation and just started using plot points to do everything.

Bronn doesn't matter, George Martin actually said the network is making them have characters in the story that are not important but popular, and strongly alluded to Bronn, I think this was from an old interview.

Melvin made the point of saying things were telegraphed and I disagree with that. They were told to us. They were told and didn't make sense, as for 6.5 years the show was about characters, not plot points. This is shown when Danny Burns Sam's father and brother then Tyrion takes issue. She tried to give them every out she could. This wasn't her going "mad" it was her having no choice, then Tyrion TELLING us it was something different. It is piss poor writing.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Posted a tweet that’s getting 1000+ likes for the 1st time ever...
no wonder Instagram “influencers/models” are constantly posting pics of their butts.

It’s pretty gross how social media attention gives you this kinda feeling.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think the main problem is that they just rushed it, and I don't really get why. There is plenty of source material, and obviously the show has insane ratings. They could have done a few more seasons and built towards danys heel turn much more carefully. But everything since last season just feels so rushed. Like they need to get from point a to point b so fast it doesn't matter how they get there. Ever since they went off book it's like they've just hit fast forward. In some ways I guess it's good, since there was some meandering particularly with Dany, but the problem with hitting accelerate is that you lose a lot of characterization. Suddenly people are doing things that don't make sense because you didn't take the time to build up to it.

I won't get into all the weeds of it for this episode, which I mostly thought was boring. The show is stupid and has been for some time now. I am so glad there's only one more episode of this nonsense.

I don't have as much of a problem with the major plot points as some, but just the execution is so maddeningly God awful.

The only issues I have is it is rushed.

* Dany has always been a dangerous. I can't believe people are shocked, Team Dany was blind not see this coming. It has been obvious since season one that here priority list has been, in this order,
1. Queen of Westeros.
2. Revenge.
3. Do some nice things along the way if it doesn't get in the way.

She is a Queen, she has a people that love her, it doesn't matter.

* Jaime Lannister. Why are people upset, they didn't wipe out his character arc at all. Jaime reformed a lot, that is not wiped out by going back to Cersie. He loves her and he has an unborn child to try and save, of course he is going back.

Things they should or could have been done better

* The battle at Winterfell was scary and yet incredibly badly edited. A zombies invasion easily overwhelm the castle and it garrison esily but then a few "heroes" hold them off for 5 minutes. Where were the 50% hiding?

* Jaime's exit scene at Winterfell with Briene was a little harsh and could have been more sympathetic to both characters. However perhaps he was trying to be a prick so she would hate him and not mourn his death, if that was the intention it wasn't obvious.

* Not kill Littlefinger until after the North is saved. That would have given Littlefinger time to start getting into Dany's ear. Vary's and Tyrion trying to counter him. Just when Littlefinger is making headway, planting thoughts about who she can trust, why the Lords won't love her and she needs strength and he promises the Vale - Starks execute him. That would really mess with her paranoia.

* They had 3 months of marching from Winterfell to King's Landing. That would have been perfect for character development episode and it would have set up the "The Bells" episode.

* Cersie had wildfire (green explosions) and didn't use it???? Yeah right. She'd fight with fire. Dany's flying around burning the defense's and troops.... Cersie troops catapult wildfire or lure them in and drop a load of wildfire on Greyworm and the unsullied. Dany triggered, bells or no bells.

I would love to Dany left alive but everyone walking away from her, and going back to theirs, and she just sitting looking and the devastation our her Kings Landing - her part of Westeros. She just flies away or maybe the peasants kill her.

What I expect

* predictable: Jon kills her, Greyworm stands by and leaves because Arya has already ended him is wearing his face.

* Crazy : Dany torches the Starks then burns Winterfell to the ground.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The only issues I have is it is rushed.

* Dany has always been a dangerous. I can't believe people are shocked, Team Dany was blind not see this coming. It has been obvious since season one that here priority list has been, in this order,
1. Queen of Westeros.
2. Revenge.
3. Do some nice things along the way if it doesn't get in the way.

She is a Queen, she has a people that love her, it doesn't matter.

* Jaime Lannister. Why are people upset, they didn't wipe out his character arc at all. Jaime reformed a lot, that is not wiped out by going back to Cersie. He loves her and he has an unborn child to try and save, of course he is going back.

Things they should or could have been done better

* The battle at Winterfell was scary and yet incredibly badly edited. A zombies invasion easily overwhelm the castle and it garrison esily but then a few "heroes" hold them off for 5 minutes. Where were the 50% hiding?

* Jaime's exit scene at Winterfell with Briene was a little harsh and could have been more sympathetic to both characters. However perhaps he was trying to be a prick so she would hate him and not mourn his death, if that was the intention it wasn't obvious.

* Not kill Littlefinger until after the North is saved. That would have given Littlefinger time to start getting into Dany's ear. Vary's and Tyrion trying to counter him. Just when Littlefinger is making headway, planting thoughts about who she can trust, why the Lords won't love her and she needs strength and he promises the Vale - Starks execute him. That would really mess with her paranoia.

* They had 3 months of marching from Winterfell to King's Landing. That would have been perfect for character development episode and it would have set up the "The Bells" episode.

* Cersie had wildfire (green explosions) and didn't use it???? Yeah right. She'd fight with fire. Dany's flying around burning the defense's and troops.... Cersie troops catapult wildfire or lure them in and drop a load of wildfire on Greyworm and the unsullied. Dany triggered, bells or no bells.

I would love to Dany left alive but everyone walking away from her, and going back to theirs, and she just sitting looking and the devastation our her Kings Landing - her part of Westeros. She just flies away or maybe the peasants kill her.

What I expect

* predictable: Jon kills her, Greyworm stands by and leaves because Arya has already ended him is wearing his face.

* Crazy : Dany torches the Starks then burns Winterfell to the ground.

Care to give examples of 1? Sure Dany has always been about power and the thrown, but when in the TV show has she shown these tendencies. She has never killed the innocent.

People say she stood by when the killed her brother... yeah the brother threatening her and her child. Or the say oh burning the Tarlys when she gave them every chance to not be executed. She has killed armies and usurpers, but never the innocent.

I know the books show this more but the TV show sure hasn’t. Hell there is an episode called mothers mercy.

I am not say this wasn’t a good direction. I am saying it was poorly done.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
An FYI for everyone, my McDonalds app was hacked today, someone used my app to buy some big macs in Montreal. I live and am currently in Vancouver so not me. The stupid App won't let me take my credit card off the app, they are currently closed so I can't call them. When I do a quick google search turns out this is common with the Mcdonalds App. I called my bank and have a temp block on the card.

To anyone with the App... just delete it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
An FYI for everyone, my McDonalds app was hacked today, someone used my app to buy some big macs in Montreal. I live and am currently in Vancouver so not me. The stupid App won't let me take my credit card off the app, they are currently closed so I can't call them. When I do a quick google search turns out this is common with the Mcdonalds App. I called my bank and have a temp block on the card.

I have the app but I never put my CC details on there.
Rather go to the actual McDonalds place and buy food.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Have you tried this?:

1) Go to payment method in the app
2) Go to box showing your payment method, tap and hold on to tab for a bit and then swipe left

Yep doesn’t work. Looks like someone tried to add a new card now too. Can’t delete that one either

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Yep doesn’t work. Looks like someone tried to add a new card now too. Can’t delete that one either
Android or Iphone? I'm on android and if I hold it for a few seconds a thing pops up to remove it (and I successfully removed it).

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

The real crime is eating McDonalds.

had to be the dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad