OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Verstappen catching Vettel, Vettel catching Hamilton, Hamilton catching Bottas, Gasly catching LeClerc.
Then Gasly's gearbox explodes and ruins his race and kills Verstappen/Vettel's race. :(

LeClerc getting screwed by Ferrari is getting really old, really fast.
I hope Bottas beats Hamilton for the championship if it continues to be a Mercedes 1-2.
Ricciardo DNF again. Still looking like an excellent choice to move teams. :doh:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Verstappen catching Vettel, Vettel catching Hamilton, Hamilton catching Bottas, Gasly catching LeClerc.
Then Gasly's gearbox explodes and ruins his race and kills Verstappen/Vettel's race. :(

LeClerc getting screwed by Ferrari is getting really old, really fast.
I hope Bottas beats Hamilton for the championship if it continues to be a Mercedes 1-2.
wtf are you talking about?:skeptic::laugh:

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
The GoT episode is well done from a technical stand point.
But whoever ****ing wrote this episode is on crack.
I’m not going to ruin it for anyone but I just have to say that I would’ve written it differently. Was a good episode though!

Last edited:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That entire Thrones episode was perfect. Especially the ending. One of the most enjoyable hour or so of television I've seen.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Changed my post just a moment after you replied. Haha.
GOT
No important character deaths, no explanation of what the f*** the night king is doing. Laughably badly written ending.

Can we talk about how the Dothraki just basically full frontal charged, which btw is a suicide in any realistic battle because horses aren't dumb and don't like running into people. The only reason for this to happen is because they needed to have a interesting build up for the army coming.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
GOT
No important character deaths, no explanation of what the **** the night king is doing. Laughably badly written ending.

Can we talk about how the Dothraki just basically full frontal charged, which btw is a suicide in any realistic battle because horses aren't dumb and don't like running into people. The only reason for this to happen is because they needed to have a interesting build up for the army coming.
Maybe delete my quote from your other post. I would hate to give anything at all away for someone. Haha. The part that annoyed me was Arya just jumping out of the shadows. Pretty half-assed really.

Reactions: WTG

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
GOT
No important character deaths, no explanation of what the **** the night king is doing. Laughably badly written ending.

The first thing I thought when the Dothraki charged was, um, every single one of them is now a part of the Night King's army. Like what the f*** is the point in even trying? You're just strengthening the opponent.

Not that it matters. Literally all of the fighting was rendered moot because one stab from Arya was all it took. Talk about an anti-climictic end to literally the entire point of the story. With three episodes left.

The writing has been God-awful ever since they went off-book.

Reactions: WTG

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
The first thing I thought when the Dothraki charged was, um, every single one of them is now a part of the Night King's army. Like what the **** is the point in even trying? You're just strengthening the opponent.

Not that it matters. Literally all of the fighting was rendered moot because one stab from Arya was all it took. Talk about an anti-climictic end to literally the entire point of the story. With three episodes left.

The writing has been God-awful ever since they went off-book.
I enjoyed the episode for all the action, but there were definitely parts that just seemed to be done lazily. I called Arya doing the deed but I assumed she would've been disguised as a Wight Walker general and do the killing and then pull of the face. Jumping out of the shadows seems a bit too meh for me.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Not a spoiler and I get they want some realism, but did they really need to make it so dark that it's hard to make out half of what is being shown that episode...

Reactions: Slads

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I enjoyed the episode for all the action, but there were definitely parts that just seemed to be done lazily. I called Arya doing the deed but I assumed she would've been disguised as a Wight Walker general and do the killing and then pull of the face. Jumping out of the shadows seems a bit too meh for me.

Like you I enjoyed the episode for the most part (the less dialogue the better at this point.) But the ending pissed me off for so many reasons. There was nothing remotely clever about what they did, and we get basically no payoff to all the 3-eyed-raven/night-king/red-woman stuff which is basically is just never going to be explained unless Bran gives us a terribly-written exposition dump in a future episode.

Reactions: Slads

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My best friend is from Ireland. One day I was trying to tell her about Trailer Park Boys and was shocked to find out she knew all about them and had seen them perform live in Dublin.

I was like ....... what, this made it out of Canada?

I had a similar head-scratching reaction to the discovery that The Raccoons - which I assumed was the most Canadian-for-Canadians show ever - apparently was a hit in the UK and I had multiple English friends who were as familiar with it growing up as I was.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
GoT was highly disappointing. Dark and dragged on and on. Got bored half way through especially when it was obvious about how it was going to end.

Also, the Mother of Dragons was utterly useless.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My best friend is from Ireland. One day I was trying to tell her about Trailer Park Boys and was shocked to find out she knew all about them and had seen them perform live in Dublin.

I was like ....... what, this made it out of Canada?
Oh yeah, meant to respond to this. Lived in Ireland in 2006-08. Pubs regularly had Trailer Park Boys viewing nights. It was actually a pretty big thing there. I was also amazed that Budweiser was one of the most popular beers sold there. On an island with so many quality beers...somehow they preferred Bud. Never figured that one out.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Not a spoiler and I get they want some realism, but did they really need to make it so dark that it's hard to make out half of what is being shown that episode...

If they turned the lighting down just a tad more, they could have saved a ton in production money.

Reactions: Nuckles

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
GoT was highly disappointing. Dark and dragged on and on. Got bored half way through especially when it was obvious about how it was going to end.

Also, the Mother of Dragons was utterly useless.

WTF because she didn’t strike the killing blow she was useless? She’s the only reason why anyone survived. Without her 2 armies and 2 dragons the battle would’ve been over before Arya had the chance to kill the NK. I can’t believe people are complaining about this, it’s going to go down as one of the best if not THE best moment in the history of television.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
WTF because she didn’t strike the killing blow she was useless? She’s the only reason why anyone survived. Without her 2 armies and 2 dragons the battle would’ve been over before Arya had the chance to kill the NK. I can’t believe people are complaining about this, it’s going to go down as one of the best if not THE best moment in the history of television.
GOT spoiler
The more I think about it the worse it gets. Maybe I just have higher standards, but this episode barely made any sense. For a battle scene on a realistic show you'd think they'd portray realistic battles.

Nah, let's have horses charge head straight into a wall. Fight with no formation, the only fighters that fought with any sort of formation were the unsullied. Don't do anything clever with the wall defense which they did when they actually defended the wall, remember the big scythe on the wall. They could of just put a bunch of spikes on top of the wall facing downward. Hot oil pots, spiked walls, anything really.

Bran spends the entire episode doing f*** all, even though he can literally warg into people. Arya basically turned into a Captain America supersoldier being able to take on like 5 baddies at once even though she's a 5"1' girl that weighs probably no more than 100 pounds, she f***ing glides over a entire pack of undead like it's Legolas riding down the stairs in the battle of Helms Deep, then suddenly once the library hits she suddenly she needs to be saved by the hound and Beric. Wun-wun (I think was the giant) picking up a 11 year old girl and holding her right to his face for no reason. Never was it established that these undead f***ers suddenly have a flair for the dramatic, but since she had plot armor suddenly this undead guy picks her up and allows himself to get killed. With undead people flooding into the main gates, basically only the main characters are alive to fight in the courtyard.

Arya legit going "nothing personal kid" and teleporting right behind the big/bad and one shotting the entire army. They absolutely gutted this character, Arya basically turned into this big Mary Sue, basically ungodly powerful except when she's not for some random reason. If she can easily sneak past everyone in the Gods Wood but she can barely sneak past 4 undeads in the library, sure....

Maybe I'm just seeing the potential, but how many whitewalkers did they actually kill in the show? Like 3-4? This big threat and they only killed ONE white walker in the conclusion of the arc.
What of, instead of all this nonsense, they had formed into teams and they each had to take out a white walker which controlled part of the army. As more of the white walkers were taken out the Night King becomes more desperate and more involved with the battle and eventually gets into a fight with one of the protagonists and it ends that way.

Think about it, the series leads up to this fight with the white walkers and in the conclusion of the story, they only kill 1 white walker. It feels rushed and dumb.

Very disappointing.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The dothraki fighting that way does make sense though. They are not warriors. They are not trained soldiers. They are raiders and pillagers. They don't fight armies they just raid villages and kill the unarmed.

Honestly that part is true to the books in terms of how they were always characterized. They are undisciplined and impossible to control. So no, they probably have never heard of flanking or any other basic techniques. It's actually kind of a recurring topic when Dany is adding them to her army that there is no real way to discipline them or tell them what to do. It makes sense to use them in the beginning as basically a zerg rush.

The unsullied on the other hand are highly trained soldiers who would fight in formation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad