Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I really don't like this outwardly stuff. If the guys want to use it as motivation on an individual level (or in the locker room) fine. Anything that helps them. But I don't like it public and especially don't like it in a legitimate marketing campaign. Further, it seems hypocritical. Torts (paraphrasing): "After today, I'm not talking about the guys that left." Foligno (again paraphrasing): "I don't care about anyone not in this room." And then we do this. Apparently, we do care.

This is getting really annoying and comes across very inferiority complex/small-timey/small market (which is ironically why at least Bread, and perhaps all three of them, moved on). Perhaps I'm alone in this opinion. But I'd prefer they just shut up, win games and be proud of the city without taking passive-aggressive shots.

Absolutely this.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
This is getting ridiculous now. It's actually entering disingenuous territory - these guys are going too far the other direction and it all seems like an act to appease the fans. The best course of action would be for them to finally shut up and just play hockey starting tomorrow. But unfortunately, annoying commercials have likely already been taped that we'll have to deal with on FSOhio all season.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I really don't like this outwardly stuff. If the guys want to use it as motivation on an individual level (or in the locker room) fine. Anything that helps them. But I don't like it public and especially don't like it in a legitimate marketing campaign. Further, it seems hypocritical. Torts (paraphrasing): "After today, I'm not talking about the guys that left." Foligno (again paraphrasing): "I don't care about anyone not in this room." And then we do this. Apparently, we do care.

This is getting really annoying and comes across very inferiority complex/small-timey/small market (which is ironically why at least Bread, and perhaps all three of them, moved on). Perhaps I'm alone in this opinion. But I'd prefer they just shut up, win games and be proud of the city without taking passive-aggressive shots.

Did you happen to think maybe it was the players idea , and it motivates them . They were the ones in the locker room , and had to deal with the awful teammates . They are the ones that feel disrespected . This will draw attention . Columbus has been ignored by the National Media, they are rarely on national broadcast . As Duchene said , he was absolutely shocked at the hockey market Columbus was , and has Never heard an arena like he did in game 4 . They feel the city is being disrespected , and they want to create an identity as to what a blue jacket is , and why you should play here . To that , I say it’s about f***ing time

Reactions: CPTN71

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Did you happen to think maybe it was the players idea , and it motivates them . They were the ones in the locker room , and had to deal with the awful teammates . They are the ones that feel disrespected . This will draw attention . Columbus has been ignored by the National Media, they are rarely on national broadcast . As Duchene said , he was absolutely shocked at the hockey market Columbus was , and has Never heard an arena like he did in game 4 . They feel the city is being disrespected , and they want to create an identity as to what a blue jacket is , and why you should play here . To that , I say it’s about ****ing time

I said there's nothing wrong with using it as motivation... internally. I do think it's a problem to do it in public for multiple reasons. One of which is, ironically, it actually fuels the small-town reputation Columbus has.

The best way to draw attention, gain respect and get national tv broadcasts is to win. Period. The players will have the continent's respect in 7-9 months if they earn it. That's not that long from now. They can live feeling "disrespected" for half a year. If they don't win, then all those "haters" were right, anyway.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Did you happen to think maybe it was the players idea , and it motivates them . They were the ones in the locker room , and had to deal with the awful teammates . They are the ones that feel disrespected . This will draw attention . Columbus has been ignored by the National Media, they are rarely on national broadcast . As Duchene said , he was absolutely shocked at the hockey market Columbus was , and has Never heard an arena like he did in game 4 . They feel the city is being disrespected , and they want to create an identity as to what a blue jacket is , and why you should play here . To that , I say it’s about ****ing time

This will draw attention, but not positively. Rememeber when the Dispatch tried to hand out "Crybaby" Crosby apparel before game 3 in 2016? We got laughed at. If we're going to continue to push this "loyalty" thing, we're going to get laughed at again.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbjfaninmo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Handling “the thing”?

That's the salient phrase to me. Wennberg referred to his struggles as "the thing". It's got to be really hard to talk about how much you suck all the time, so inevitably we get euphemisms. Understandable, just sad.

Jarmo was a fool for not buying out this clown.

Maybe so, but I don't think anything he said here merits that. He said he listens to him and respects him and beyond that it's a private matter, which indeed it is! With Torts around it's easy to forget that not everyone has to air their shit in public every day.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I think there could be something there with Winnipeg. Not necessarily in the form of an offersheet, but it seems like two teams that could be good trading partners. Winnipeg seems to need D and cap relief. We could use top end scoring. Something around any of our defensemen outside of Jones and Werenski. Jarmo always swings for the fences, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take a run at Connor or Laine (although Ehlers has some connection with Bjorkstrand, so that could be a possibility too). All of our defensemen are on very reasonable contracts as well, that might be enticing to a team struggling with the cap.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think there could be something there with Winnipeg. Not necessarily in the form of an offersheet, but it seems like two teams that could be good trading partners. Winnipeg seems to need D and cap relief. We could use top end scoring. Something around any of our defensemen outside of Jones and Werenski. Jarmo always swings for the fences, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take a run at Connor or Laine (although Ehlers has some connection with Bjorkstrand, so that could be a possibility too). All of our defensemen are on very reasonable contracts as well, that might be enticing to a team struggling with the cap.
Yep. We may be one of the teams reaching out on an offer sheet, but that doesn't mean we're looking at four 1sts. We could just as easily be trying to recreate the Brandon Saad trade scenario.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wish they could start playing now because I'm tired of hearing about Bob and Panarin and how we don't get any respect. Get on the ice, earn it there and stop talking about it.

Reactions: Fro

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Isn’t it about time the jackets have a jersey refresh ? Maybe move towards the cannon as a primary with those colors , instead of the initial color palette that resembles the rangers . I think if the organization is going to stress the blue jacket identity , it would have been a good time .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wish they could start playing now because I'm tired of hearing about Bob and Panarin and how we don't get any respect. Get on the ice, earn it there and stop talking about it.

That is the attitude of the players, for sure. Hopefully the marketing team can get that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Isn’t it about time the jackets have a jersey refresh ? Maybe move towards the cannon as a primary with those colors , instead of the initial color palette that resembles the rangers . I think if the organization is going to stress the blue jacket identity , it would have been a good time .

I've been arguing for years that union army > union army / generic stars and stripes / lime green insect. Everyone's been arguing about it on one side or the other for years, I'm not expecting anything to change.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad