Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Because Jackets doesn't have those picks? No 2nd in next 2 years no 3rd in next year.

I know, it reminds me of the time I desperately needed a bottle of water to keep my house from burning down, but it cost $1.25 and I didn't have quarters. All I had was a bunch of dollar bills and a roll of nickels. Totally struck out / house burned down. True story.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo - Now offersheet Laine! Lockerroom-issues in Winnipeg, Laine disappointed in role and calling out Maurice in Finnish media. Now,s the time! 5yrs/8,5-9,5M - Get it done. :D

That Laine is the cause of so many of the locker room problems would tend to push against signing him, no?

The whole spirit of this year would seem to be ruined by bringing in Laine.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I know, it reminds me of the time I desperately needed a bottle of water to keep my house from burning down, but it cost $1.25 and I didn't have quarters. All I had was a bunch of dollar bills and a roll of nickels. Totally struck out / house burned down. True story.

So is there supposed to be a point in this mess?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Personal preference but I’d be very hesitant in adding Laine as a cornerstone player for this franchise — especially if we’re talking offer sheet.

From a goal scoring perspective the guy is no doubt lights out which we obviously could use. It’s the rest of his game and maturity that concern me.

I guess I see more risk than reward with this guy.

Unless he can be had in a reasonably priced trade (unlikely), I’d rather be patient and wait for another big fish to materialize.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's a parody of the absurd idea that Jarmo desperately wanted Gusev but couldn't get him because he didn't have those precise draft picks.

What is absurd is that you think you know what or how much Jarmo was willing to give for Gusev.

What is absurd is that you thought it was absurd that Gusev would be traded for picks in a pure cap dump.

In fact, your whole thought process on Gusev has been absurd from the start.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Laine wants to play with "top players, stars, the best ones" .. I'm not sure Jackets has enough star power for this prima donna.

I don’t have any issue with Laine’s comments. He’s a confident kid, and he’s proven to be a lethal scorer. While we may not have stars, I think our overall forward group is better than he has in Winnipeg, although his centers would be worse.

Reactions: The Bread Man

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Quite frankly, I don't think any of Jarmo, Torts or the players would even consider the idea of acquiring Laine at this point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t have any issue with Laine’s comments. He’s a confident kid, and he’s proven to be a lethal scorer. While we may not have stars, I think our overall forward group is better than he has in Winnipeg, although his centers would be worse.

It's not really the comments per se, it's that it's coming from a lazy player with a lack of professionalism on and off the ice. It would be like having the drama of last year from Bob and Artemi, except with Laine you get a player that is a drag on the ice most games.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Guys like Laine, Marner, etc that already put themselves on a pedestal at this point in their careers....I can do without.

Jarmo's team first approach is what I subscribe to.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What is absurd is that you think you know what or how much Jarmo was willing to give for Gusev.

What is absurd is that you thought it was absurd that Gusev would be traded for picks in a pure cap dump.

In fact, your whole thought process on Gusev has been absurd from the start.

It's normally a pretty safe assumption that when a roster player is traded for draft picks, to get cap space, that he'll just get traded for the best offer. And that offer for Gusev was a 2nd + 3rd rounder, so implicitly Jarmo didn't put a bigger offer out there. It's not that complicated.

And yes, I changed my mind on Gusev after watching more video. I posted the review here with the video two months ago now. What's the big deal? Am I not allowed to do that?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It's not really the comments per se, it's that it's coming from a lazy player with a lack of professionalism on and off the ice. It would be like having the drama of last year from Bob and Artemi, except with Laine you get a player that is a drag on the ice most games.

I don’t see how that is a lack of professionalism. Matthews dictates his line mates all the time. Crosby does too, and Malkin literally wanted to get traded if Kessel remained with him. If you’re going to go after his fortnite love, then fair (but I would much rather him have a fortnite issue than a lot of other thing) but I don’t see a lack of professionalism on the ice.

All of this is moot anyway. We’re not getting any of them.

Guys like Laine, Marner, etc that already put themselves on a pedestal at this point in their careers....I can do without.

Jarmo's team first approach is what I subscribe to.

I also fail to see how getting a fair contract for yourself is putting yourself on a pedestal. If this is the case, then Anderson needs to go by this logic.

Reactions: GoJackets1

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don’t see how that is a lack of professionalism. Matthews dictates his line mates all the time. Crosby does too, and Malkin literally wanted to get traded if Kessel remained with him. If you’re going to go after his fortnite love, then fair (but I would much rather him have a fortnite issue than a lot of other thing) but I don’t see a lack of professionalism on the ice.

Are any of the above mentioned doing interviews during a contract holdout in which the coach and center are essentially being thrown under the bus for the world to see?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Are any of the above mentioned doing interviews during a contract holdout in which the coach and center are essentially being thrown under the bus for the world to see?

No, but does it really matter when it’s said or where it’s said if it gets out anyway?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

In my comment about professionalism I was thinking about the well documented poor training and poor effort on the ice. The fortnite stuff is speculation, sure, but it's possible that he's just much more interested in fortnite than hockey at this point in his life, and that shouldn't even be legitimate speculation for any professional athlete.

But regarding dictating his linemates - it's not something we want unless the player is truly great. And with the big exception of November Laine was not great and was actually the worst player on the team. Imagine the worst player on our team demanding to be put on the top line. To be fair, on the Jets boards there are some posters that think Laine was just being dragged down by Little, and he was somewhat improved on the top line. But player after player on the Jets has been better when Laine was not with them. Ehlers for example was at his normal pace without Laine and had a down year largely thanks to Laine. Wheeler and Scheifele, very good players that have earned the right to have some say in the matter, do not want him on their line. As far as I'm concerned Laine is at fault in the dispute for not deferring to his better and older teammates and their preferences. I'm a Jets fan and all of this has been painful to watch. I can't see any reason why the problem would be fixed on the Jackets.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
In my comment about professionalism I was thinking about the well documented poor training and poor effort on the ice. The fortnite stuff is speculation, sure, but it's possible that he's just much more interested in fortnite than hockey at this point in his life, and that shouldn't even be legitimate speculation for any professional athlete.

But regarding dictating his linemates - it's not something we want unless the player is truly great. And with the big exception of November Laine was not great and was actually the worst player on the team. Imagine the worst player on our team demanding to be put on the top line. To be fair, on the Jets boards there are some posters that think Laine was just being dragged down by Little, and he was somewhat improved on the top line. But player after player on the Jets has been better when Laine was not with them. Ehlers for example was at his normal pace without Laine and had a down year largely thanks to Laine. Wheeler and Scheifele, very good players that have earned the right to have some say in the matter, do not want him on their line. As far as I'm concerned Laine is at fault in the dispute for not deferring to his better and older teammates and their preferences. I'm a Jets fan and all of this has been painful to watch. I can't see any reason why the problem would be fixed on the Jackets.

Laine scores over 50 points and 30 goals last year and it was a down year. If he was truly the worst player on the Jets, they should have won the cup. I realize he had some lengthy scoring droughts and last year wasn’t good, but his stat line is still excellent and his play his first two years is excellent as well. I don’t think we’re in a position to turn away from an opportunity to add a probable future rocket winner.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine scores over 50 points and 30 goals last year and it was a down year. If he was truly the worst player on the Jets, they should have won the cup. I realize he had some lengthy scoring droughts and last year wasn’t good, but his stat line is still excellent and his play his first two years is excellent as well. I don’t think we’re in a position to turn away from an opportunity to add a probable future rocket winner.

18 of those goals came in November (the second highest goal scoring month of any player ever). The other 12 were spread across 5 months. From January 1st onward he had 6 goals, with only 2 of them being at even strength. He was a minus 24 on a winning team. I think it's a really bad statline, you might think otherwise but I'm not of the opinion that a player must be valuable just because he had 50 pts. He was honestly just painful to watch. I think the Jets would have been better off without him on the roster last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad