Speculation: 2019 offseason thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I could be/probably am wrong, but I'm starting to raise the red flag on this. If he's the next Panarin, you would think teams would be beating down Vegas' door to get him and I haven't heard any rumors to that effect.
I could be/probably am wrong, but I'm starting to raise the red flag on this. If he's the next Panarin, you would think teams would be beating down Vegas' door to get him and I haven't heard any rumors to that effect.
The top five trade destinations for Nikita Gusev - TheHockeyNews

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Nitpick, but lol at this:

Moving someone like Nick Foligno to the right wing while having Gusev and Gustav Nyquist as the team’s top two left wingers would instantly make the team’s top six a dynamic, dangerous group.

Foligno, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, or Atkinson would have to be a 4th line winger if we moved Foligno to RW. That's simply not going to happen.

But Foligno as a 3rd line LW with potential PP time? That sounds good to me. Heck, if Wennberg is in fact going to get a go as 2C (Or Jenner) and struggles, he could move back to there.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If you look, most of the fans hyping him up aren't the Russians. As someone who watches a lot of KHL hockey, I can unequivocally say, Gusev is no Panarin. He's a good player though and with the right attitude and a willingness to change a few parts of his game, he can carve out an NHL career. People who are getting hyped, are those that look at him atop the KHL leaderboards, without realizing just how diminished KHL hockey has become over the past 3-4 seasons. Some teams are so bad, the top ECHL teams could beat them-handedly. It's a very top heavy league, and even then the talent isn't up to snuff when compared to years passed.
I do not agree with this. Gusev might be just as good as Panarin. First of all, both dominated KHL playing for SKA, the star loaded team. Secondly, Gusev dominated the Olympic Games ( no NHLers) and World Championships (with NHLers).

We’ve seen magic Panarin has done with Kane just as much as we’ve seen Gusev do magic with Kucherov.

Now, the only question remains is his transition to life and game in North America. Shame he’s not a good English speaker like Gavrikov, but neither is Panarin.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Has anyone ever really watched this Gusev play 10-15 times?

Relying on a 26 year old from Russia's best team to be the savior seems a bit fanciful to me.

65 assists last year, but usually in the 40 assists range. Not likely to be a world beater in the NHL based on this.

Yep have seen him play at Peterburgs,Helsinki,Riga about 15-20times. Top3 players in europe

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The only difference Gusev and Panarin have it's that G stayed in KHL way too long. So there is a little bit of stalling in his game might be. If Gusev would have left the same year as Panarin and played with Kuch in Tampa... today they would probably be the same dynamic duo Kane&Panarin were.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I do not agree with this. Gusev might be just as good as Panarin. First of all, both dominated KHL playing for SKA, the star loaded team. Secondly, Gusev dominated the Olympic Games ( no NHLers) and World Championships (with NHLers).

We’ve seen magic Panarin has done with Kane just as much as we’ve seen Gusev do magic with Kucherov.

Now, the only question remains is his transition to life and game in North America. Shame he’s not a good English speaker like Gavrikov, but neither is Panarin.

Think what you like, I've watched him plenty. But even the picture you are painting is looking weak.

- As you said he dominated the KHL playing for SKA, the star loaded team. I agree, he did well. BUT. As I said the KHL's talent pool and level of play has dipped tremendously over the passed 3-4 seasons, and their is a severe lack of parity; it's a top heavy league. Imagine a team like the Senators feasting on AHL and ECHL teams.

- Yes, you're right. He did well at an Olympic Games with none of the other best players in the world. In the same games where the 1st pairing defender for Russia was, Bogdan Kisselvich, KHL all-star Bogdan Kisselvich, who couldn't crack the Panthers d-core.

- And you're also right he was great at the Worlds this year, where many of the league's best sat out and never attended...where world powerhouses with star studded lineups went head to head against Russia like Italy... and Austria. Where 10 of his 16 points came in games without an NHL goalie, and aside from the Czech, lineups with a sprinkling of nhl talent. He registered 2 (Norway), 2 (Austria), 1 (Czech-Bartosak), 3 (Italy), 1 (Switzerland-Genoni), 1 (Latvia-Elvis) points against these teams.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

He isn't the next Panarin. What he is, is a really good forward who would probably play on our first or second line.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Gusev was the sole reason Russia won the Olympic gold last year and he was a standout along with Kucherov in this year’s Russia WCH team that was loaded with NHL stars.

Honestly I don’t know what else a player could do to prove himself before hitting NHL ice

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
- And you're also right he was great at the Worlds this year, where many of the league's best sat out and never attended...where world powerhouses with star studded lineups went head to head against Russia like Italy... and Austria. Where 10 of his 16 points came in games without an NHL goalie, and aside from the Czech, lineups with a sprinkling of nhl talent. He registered 2 (Norway), 2 (Austria), 1 (Czech-Bartosak), 3 (Italy), 1 (Switzerland-Genoni), 1 (Latvia-Elvis) points against these teams.
Say how many points Ovechkin and Malkin registered.
- Yes, you're right. He did well at an Olympic Games with none of the other best players in the world. In the same games where the 1st pairing defender for Russia was, Bogdan Kisselvich, KHL all-star Bogdan Kisselvich, who couldn't crack the Panthers d-core.
Don't stop here, tell them about Gavrikov, who was his partner at OG. Open their eyes full of hope towards that guy!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Depending on the price Jarmo should go for it. Gusev seems like a guy who most feel can be a contributor in the NHL. Even at 50 points in a top 6 LW spot he fills a major hole in the forward group.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Gusev would be a super star forward for the Jackets. Yes, he’s that good

He might be, but that wasn't my point. We wouldn't be trading for him expecting him to fully replace what Panarin gave us.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Honestly people can debate if they think he is a star like Panarin or not. The question everyone needs to ask is if he can fill a hole we need as a low risk high, reward player to at least be a decent winger. I think that answer is yes when you look at what else we have right now. He doesn't fix the Wennberg center problem but he does help fix the talent level of the forward group.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Is there some issue between himself and Vegas where he doesn't want to play there? I would think Vegas would to try to move other pieces to make room for him and his salary.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Honestly people can debate if they think he is a star like Panarin or not. The question everyone needs to ask is if he can fill a hole we need as a low risk high, reward player to at least be a decent winger. I think that answer is yes when you look at what else we have right now. He doesn't fix the Wennberg center problem but he does help fix the talent level of the forward group.

Exactly. Not sure why it’s being looked at as “Panarin level or bust”. Even if he’s a low-end first liner or even only an average 2nd liner, that really helps our team, if the cost is just $4M/yr and someone like Nutivarra. I’ve never seen him play but given his stats in the KHL AND Olympics AND WC in 2017/2019, I don’t think it’s a bad bet he will be at that level. If he is Panarin level, even better.

It’d be a lot of wingers, but then you could maybe do a trade like Bjorkstrand for a 2C (with minor add on either side, depending on who exactly the other 2C is) and also move Nyquist over to RW. If Gusev isn’t up to snuff as a 1st liner, you could move Nyquist back to 1LW (might be a little thin at RW, in that case). Presuming Gusev is at least a low 1LW/ high 2LW:

Gusev - PLD - Atkinson
Tex - XXX - Nyquist
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson

Fourth line some combination of Nash, Robinson, Wennberg, Hanni, Dubi. Make Bemstrom play his way on the team. If he’s good enough that we can’t not play him, even better.

If you don’t want to trade Bjorkstrand, could do something like:

Gusev/Nyquist - PLD - Atkinson
Gusev/Nyquist - Jenner/Wennberg - Bjork
Fligs/Tex - Jenner/Wennberg/Fligs - Andy

Fourth line with remaining parts similar to what I laid out earlier.

Z - Jones
Murray - Savard
Kukan - Gavrikov
Harrington

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Is there some issue between himself and Vegas where he doesn't want to play there? I would think Vegas would to try to move other pieces to make room for him and his salary.

Vegas fans seem to think they can just trade Reaves or Holden and then put Clarkson on LTIR. But I’m not sure who wants those guys , and I’m unclear how much room the LTIR move would give them. They also still have other guys to re-sign.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Vegas fans seem to think they can just trade Reaves or Holden and then put Clarkson on LTIR. But I’m not sure who wants those guys , and I’m unclear how much room the LTIR move would give them. They also still have other guys to re-sign.

Don't they really need one or two defensemen as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad