Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
It would be wonderful if EK would sign here. I've thought about what he could bring to the roster. The 3Swedish D's could split up about 80 minutes a game, leaving 40 minutes, so it's a possibility to dress 5 blueliners if you want to ice an extra forward option. Would have to make trades to be able to afford the contract, and I do doubt he would sign a bargain deal anyways. This time of the year, dream up improbable ways to make the 'Yotes into contenders. It's what we Coyotes fans do.
Sign EK, trade for Kessel, move contracts. Talking about moving contracts, I've thought about the 'Canes not having a starting goalie signed for next season. Dreaming that they would overpay for Raanta.
The Pens hopefully trade Kessel for cheap depth players.
As for just trade value, Richardson must have a lot for a 34 yo, on the last year of a cheap contract. It would be about the long term plans of the team and finally getting depth @ the center position.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I keep forgetting we have Merkely.

How far off is Fischer + Merkely for Kessel? Kills our winger prospect pool but would be a way to keep the 14th. If Merkely doesn't get a shot on the roster this year how frustrated does he become?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I keep forgetting we have Merkely.

How far off is Fischer + Merkely for Kessel? Kills our winger prospect pool but would be a way to keep the 14th. If Merkely doesn't get a shot on the roster this year how frustrated does he become?
I'd do that.

Gives us

Keller
Kessel
Vinnistroza
Garland

along the RW

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Semi random question, what's worth more #14 or POJ?

I'd probably lean toward #14 tbh but POJ has a time value to him in that he'll be ready before whoever we take a 14 likely will be which may be more important than overall value.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It would be wonderful if EK would sign here. I've thought about what he could bring to the roster. The 3Swedish D's could split up about 80 minutes a game, leaving 40 minutes, so it's a possibility to dress 5 blueliners if you want to ice an extra forward option. Would have to make trades to be able to afford the contract, and I do doubt he would sign a bargain deal anyways. This time of the year, dream up improbable ways to make the 'Yotes into contenders. It's what we Coyotes fans do.
Sign EK, trade for Kessel, move contracts. Talking about moving contracts, I've thought about the 'Canes not having a starting goalie signed for next season. Dreaming that they would overpay for Raanta.
The Pens hopefully trade Kessel for cheap depth players.
As for just trade value, Richardson must have a lot for a 34 yo, on the last year of a cheap contract. It would be about the long term plans of the team and finally getting depth @ the center position.
Greedy! Greedy! If we signed EK, id be happy to just call it an off-season :)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Me too! I keep thinking our only decent trade chips are 14 and POJ and I don’t want to trade either. Fischer, Merkley and 45th overall might be able to get us something decent. Right? Maybe? Ugh. I don’t know...

Or

Fischer + 45th OA for Hoffman. Merkley can be the extra forward this year and slowly get more reps. I think I like Merkely's upside more than Fischer at this point. I'm just worried Hoffman will cost more than Kessel when he is ready to re-sign in a year.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Or

Fischer + 45th OA for Hoffman. Merkley can be the extra forward this year and slowly get more reps. I think I like Merkely's upside more than Fischer at this point. I'm just worried Hoffman will cost more than Kessel when he is ready to re-sign in a year.

How do you like Merkley's upside more than Fischer?

We all breathe a sigh of relief when the kid ties his shoe without blowing out his knee.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Merkley is a big wild card for me. I still think that he can do something, but the window is closing.

0.75 ppg this past year after his knee took him out at the end of the 2017-18 season. He was a PPG player in the AHL that year. I don't really see a lot of teams being interested in adding Merkley b/c of the injury risk, so maybe our best option is to just keep him and see what we have in a 13th F look.

I think we still like Fischer, but need a little more out of him. I wish we just knew a little more about Merkley being able to stay healthy, and then I would have no problem moving on from either.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

I'd probably lean toward #14 tbh but POJ has a time value to him in that he'll be ready before whoever we take a 14 likely will be which may be more important than overall value.

POJ has developed well but hasn't done anything too surprising. Getting cut from the WJ team was a missed opportunity to shine on a bigger stage. I agree that 14 OA currently holds more value.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

POJ might be a top 4D 2-3 years from now. He's a project.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think we have a steal in POJ. Again, only basing this on seeing how his brother has developed and am assuming a similar path for POJ. Granted, it can take defensemen a little longer to develop, but I think POJ will fill out and be a very dependable defenseman for us. I think it is closer than one may think regarding POJ and the #14 pick this year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
**INSANE THEORY**

Chayka could've, but didn't acquire Mike Hoffman because OEL is in the process of recruiting Erik Karlsson to sign with us ;)
I'd love to see it happen but unless we get new ownership this is a dream.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Didn't EK have part of his ankle removed? I'd be very nervous signing him to a long-term deal.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Any sources? Man I may actually be disappointed if we don't land Kessel at this point.

That's just where the whole "Kessel whisperer" tagline grew from. Mike Sullivan didn't like dealing with Kessel. He's not the first coach. Ron Wilson admitted the same in Custance's book. I should find the excerpt and post it. But Tocchet had a way of connecting with Kessel. No doubt he's a high maintenance player but Tocchet found a way to solve the rubiks cube.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's just where the whole "Kessel whisperer" tagline grew from. Mike Sullivan didn't like dealing with Kessel. He's not the first coach. Ron Wilson admitted the same in Custance's book. I should find the excerpt and post it. But Tocchet had a way of connecting with Kessel. No doubt he's a high maintenance player but Tocchet found a way to solve the rubiks cube.
Then let’s acquire him for less than anyone can believe.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Detroit has a number of big contracts on LTIR. They are limite in what they can do in off season with those contracts on the books. I wonder if our 3rds can become 2nds if we take on a contract?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Detroit has a number of big contracts on LTIR. They are limite in what they can do in off season with those contracts on the books. I wonder if our 3rds can become 2nds if we take on a contract?

Ehh, a little underwhelmed by picks. I’d want a player comparable to Hino.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ehh, a little underwhelmed by picks. I’d want a player comparable to Hino.
Oh I agree. But they aren't moving 6OV and there's not much on their roster that they would consider moving in this type of deal that fit what we are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad