Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok, I'm not gonna read most of what you guys posted so far but I'm gonna just post this.

I'm sorry, this team needs a new coach. Someone that's offensive minded, that maximizes on talent. I'm sick and tired of seeing players underperform here and get better elsewhere. Or young talent just not developing at all. In my opinion, that's what this team needs.

Last edited:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Ok, I'm not gonna read most of what you guys posted so far but I'm gonna just post this.

I'm sorry, this team needs a new coach. Someone that's offensive minded, that maximizes on talent. I'm sick and tired of seeing players underperform here and get better elsewhere. Or young talent just not developing at all. In my opinion, that's what this team needs.
Nah! They took the next step and are going the right direction.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

They do need someone who's a player whisperer who helps guys maximize their talent and potential. Tocchet ain't it. Tocchet is basically a guy who tells them not to get too worked up if they screw up, which in certain circumstances is very valuable, but I don't see him possessing any level of insight into how to help players get better. As for the offensive-mindedness, that's what Tocchet tried when he first got here and it failed miserably (probably because we don't have enough talent to run and gun like that).

We're stuck with Tocchet for a while. He's a personable guy and I'm sure the players like his style, but he's no teacher. He's an insulator more than anything else.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tocchet got a 4-year contract. Next year is Year 3. I think he needs to make the playoffs if he wants an extension. Otherwise he's toast. Same with Chayka.

The only saving grace is if we miss by a few points because everyone gets injured again.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't know about all that. None of us are in the room and it seems to me that Toe Blake couldn't get more out of these players. They just don't have any scorers. Our greatest failing is in the acquisition of talent, not the mismanagement of said talent (bad as that has been).

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Tocchet got a 4-year contract. Next year is Year 3. I think he needs to make the playoffs if he wants an extension. Otherwise he's toast. Same with Chayka.

The only saving grace is if we miss by a few points because everyone gets injured again.
According to cap-friendly, next season is year four of his contract, i'm not sure if it's an error on their part or if it has to do with him signing in July and maybe the first year counted as just the off-season.

Rick Tocchet - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

cobra427

May 6, 2012

We need players that can score. Tip/Tocc/Q/Torts, would all have to do it with mirrors given the roster. I am not saying Tocc is a great coach, but he isn't the main problem.

Reactions: kbay

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With all the dead money off the books this summer (Bolland, Smith, etc.), the cap going up, and the Barroway budget still in place, I gotta think we're finding another dead money deal this summer ala Hinostroza. In his latest column, Craig speculated about a deal with Toronto where we got Kapanen or Johnsson as the "prize".

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Does Pittsburgh do Goose, Fish and 14 for Kessel + something small on their end?

Keller - Schmaltz - Kessel
Galchenyuk - Dvo - Garland
Crouse - Stepan - Archibald
Grabner - Richie - Vinnie

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
With all the dead money off the books this summer (Bolland, Smith, etc.), the cap going up, and the Barroway budget still in place, I gotta think we're finding another dead money deal this summer ala Hinostroza. In his latest column, Craig speculated about a deal with Toronto where we got Kapanen or Johnsson as the "prize".

Who is the dead money contract though?

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Who is the dead money contract though?

I think it would have to be Marleau, where we're simply the facilitator sending him to San Jose. That's probably the only team he'd waive for.

He has a 6.25 mil cap hit and is owed 3 mil in signing bonus and 1.25 mil in additional salary. Let Toronto pay the signing bonus on July 1. Then trade him to us. We then do max retention to bring the cap hit down to 3.12 and send him to SJ. That still sounds kinda high for him though. Not sure if SJ would want him at that figure.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Does Pittsburgh do Goose, Fish and 14 for Kessel + something small on their end?

That's pretty steep, but I'd think about it. Especially if we can get more picks in the first three rounds taking badcap, low salary players

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not even doing #14 for Kessel. He'll be 32 in October. He won't be a ppg player if he leaves Pittsburgh.

My one concern with Kessel is the conditioning. The media has twisted him into some hot dog champion eating caricature, but the reality is he gets it's done. Kind of like Ovi. Still, the older Kessel gets, the more critical the conditioning is. Does he have the commitment?

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
My one concern with Kessel is the conditioning. The media has twisted him into some hot dog champion eating caricature, but the reality is he gets it's done. Kind of like Ovi. Still, the older Kessel gets, the more critical the conditioning is. Does he have the commitment?
I was going to say that as well but didn't want the boards' social justice warriors to jump on me for fat shaming. Like you said, he gets the job done and is actually fast for his size. But would he be the eventual spokesperson of Red Mountain Weight loss?
He's a great player with a great shot and surprisingly good acceleration but for how much longer? I'm not doing a mid first round pick for him as much as I like him and would like to see him here.

Reactions: Lilhoody

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I personally don't like him much, but I'd move a mid-first for him easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->