Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
How many points does Zucker put up with Malkin or Crosby? If anyone thinks he stays a 50 point winger on the Penguins please look at Neal, Guentzel and Hornqvist. Zucker will be a 60-70 point forward playing with one of the top centers in the world.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The GM's have already agreed to Zucker and Rask for Kessel and Johnson. The hold-up is Kessel, not the Penguins.
Damn. If that's true, this is the perfect storm for a three-way deal.

To PIT
Goligoski-5.475m
Zucker-5.500m

To ARI
Kessel-6.800m
Maatta-4.085m

To MIN
Connauton-1.375m(900k buried)
Fischer-0.850m
'19 ARI 2nd(45th)
'20 ARI 3rd

-Minnesota clears 4.175m in cap and picks ups Fischer, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Zucker.

-Pittsburgh replaces Kessel and Maatta with Zucker and Goligoski while adding only 0.09m in cap.

-Arizona replaces Fischer and Goligoski with Kessel and Maatta, while dumping Connauton, which means they add only 1.35m in actual real dollars, while giving up a 2nd and a 3rd

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If Minnesota feels like they need more Merkely could be on the table as well. I know the 14th OA makes a lot of sense, but turning this into a three way deal helps teams with contacts on top of all three teams moving in the direction they are currently moving towards.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The GM's have already agreed to Zucker and Rask for Kessel and Johnson. The hold-up is Kessel, not the Penguins.
And is that the deal I said above would not happen or are the Pens shedding more salary?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Dude, just because you are still upset that the Leafs didn't get the 80-90 point-cup winning Kessel for the return TOR got doesn't mean you need to get so jealous that AZ may be able to get him for less than his market value. You understand that Pittsburgh wants to move on from Kessel but also wants a now player in return right? They aren't in a retool, Minnesota is.

I feel like this is the back up plan for Phil. So if JJ/Rask needs to be involved I wonder if in a three way deal those two pieces can still move to the corresponding teams. Otherwise maybe KConn can be added to help balance out cap/contract issues.

Pittsburgh needs to move Kessel's salary/cap to have the room to add another top six winger. They are doing that in this situation, they move Kessel, save some money and add a younger player who has a similar game to Hornqvist. This seems ideal for them. They can then try to move JJ or Maata if they want to improve in other places.
Nothing to do with the Leafs. The Pens are not trading Kessel for a lesser winger and including a pick to save just over a million, thats a pipedream.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nothing to do with the Leafs. The Pens are not trading Kessel for a lesser winger and including a pick to save just over a million, thats a pipedream.

If they move Kessel and bring back minimal salary what are they going to use the cap space on? Another top six winger? Probably. So they are essentially getting that top six winger for Kessel. They get someone to contribute now who is younger than Kessel and Hornqvist, move a player they have soured on and get some cap saving. If they move JJ or Maata they save more

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If they move Kessel and bring back minimal salary what are they going to use the cap space on? Another top six winger? Probably. So they are essentially getting that top six winger for Kessel. They get someone to contribute now who is younger than Kessel and Hornqvist, move a player they have soured on and get some cap saving. If they move JJ or Maata they save more
They are not going to pay to downgrade, that is the essence of my post. The suggestion was Kessel and a 2nd for Zucker. That has the Pens paying in productivity, paying again with a pick, and really saving peanuts. The pick going to the Pens is more realistic. Unless you believe the Pens would be excited to get a 40 something point guy for $5.5 million??? What he gets propped up by does not determine his worth.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't get caught up too much in cap savings. The Pens were willing to do a deal with Minny that only saved them a half million.

Kessel (6.8) + Johnson (3.25) = 10.05 out

Zucker (5.5) + Rask (4.0) = 9.5 in

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wouldn't get caught up too much in cap savings. The Pens were willing to do a deal with Minny that only saved them a half million.

Kessel (6.8) + Johnson (3.25) = 10.05 out

Zucker (5.5) + Rask (4.0) = 9.5 in
That also gets them out of a contract for a guy who can't play, you have to consider that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
And is that the deal I said above would not happen or are the Pens shedding more salary?
I see, I think I misread you and the direction of that 2nd. I agree that the Pens are unlikely to add to Kessel for Zucker unless they're way more desperate than they should be. The Johnson/Rask swap reeks of a compromise sweetener to help make it worth Pittsburgh's while: Rask's easier to bury as a 13th forward if it comes to that, and his buyout this summer is actually quite low if they go that route. Johnson's the bigger anchor, but Minnesota was getting the best player and they're in a better position to shelter Johnson if they have to actually play him.

I'm not sure what form that sweetener takes in a 3-way trade or who's providing it, but I think Pittsburgh will still want it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I see, I think I misread you and the direction of that 2nd. I agree that the Pens are unlikely to add to Kessel for Zucker unless they're way more desperate than they should be. The Johnson/Rask swap reeks of a compromise sweetener to help make it worth Pittsburgh's while: Rask's easier to bury as a 13th forward if it comes to that, and his buyout this summer is actually quite low if they go that route. Johnson's the bigger anchor, but Minnesota was getting the best player and they're in a better position to shelter Johnson if they have to actually play him.

I'm not sure what form that sweetener takes in a 3-way trade or who's providing it, but I think Pittsburgh will still want it.
Yeah my comments were purely on the deal of Kessel plus a 2nd getting the Pens Zucker. I could see many variations around those two players but I don't see the Pens adding without some other pieces benefiting them.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Kessel happens, I have increased interest in signing Hagelin. Make our own HBK line with Dvorak acting as Bonino.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's Carl Hagelin, not Sidney Crosby. If you swap out his money for someone like Nick Cousins that probably covers most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->