Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't have the answer but I doubt Leafs will give up Kapanen and retain on Zaitsev.
Yeah, Zaitsev makes way too much in real dollars. Even after the SB. Maybe next summer after the second big SB is paid. Then he might be willing to just go back home if we threaten him with Tucson.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, Zaitsev makes way too much in real dollars. Even after the SB. Maybe next summer after the second big SB is paid. Then he might be willing to just go back home if we threaten him with Tucson.
That was one example. There are 3 or 4 teams in this situation this summer. If we have any money we should be able to get someone to play??? And in cases like Zaitsev the bigger and longer the eat maybe the bigger the reward?? I'm thinking multiple middle lineup guys. Oh and too late next year for Leaf's deal with Marleau going away, they need this type if deal this year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Does Zaitsev with 25% retained after July 1st get us Kapanen, even if we force them to eat Connauton?

Kapanen is going to get 3+ aav I’m sure. Zaitsev is a 5m cap hit. So that’s clearing 8in cap but taking 1.4 worth of Connauton and eating 1.2 of Zaitsev - would they ditch Kapanen just to clear 5.4 aav?

Alternatively you could offer Kapanen 4 mil on an offer sheet and only have to give up a second round pick. If you think he's worth a first and a third than you can offer as high as 6 mil.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Alternatively you could offer Kapanen 4 mil on an offer sheet and only have to give up a second round pick. If you think he's worth a first and a third than you can offer as high as 6 mil.

Let's do the 4 million. It's essentially paying UFA prices. A 2nd is still a dart throw. I love this idea.

Imagine being where we are in the rebuild and having an owner who can spend. I'd offer Kapanen, add Kessel on the cheap (or Hoffman as a backup plan) and maybe even take another bad contract on for more picks/prospects. We could abuse this offseason if we had a larger budget...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here's another thought, let's look at teams with Cap issues and offer to take a bad contract from an average player if tgey add A good player, return shoukd be low. As an example, and attack me if you wish, call the Leaf's and offer to take Zaitsev plus Kapanen for one of our lower end D men or pick. Zaitsev can play 3rd pairing for too much money and we get a promising fast winger. Or call Tampa and offer to take contract plus a prospect for same deal. Winnipeg for Little plus as for same package. Just spittballing here .
I think this could very well be a possibility, and it will be the last year we can do this. Ottawa, I believe, could go this route as well.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Haha my narrow minded thought process never even thought of that idea???

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My thinking is the Leafs would match 4 mil. It's probably a little higher than they want ago, but it's not worth losing him over an extra million or so. Six million is a different story. I don't know if I'm comfortable moving a first+ for Kapanen. I think you could get a player better than Kapanen for a first rounder, and I like Kapanen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My thinking is the Leafs would match 4 mil. It's probably a little higher than they want ago, but it's not worth losing him over an extra million or so. Six million is a different story. I don't know if I'm comfortable moving a first+ for Kapanen. I think you could get a player better than Kapanen for a first rounder, and I like Kapanen.
I still want Nylander. Once his signing bonus is paid, he becomes dirt cheap for the remainder of his deal.

Reactions: che

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I still want Nylander. Once his signing bonus is paid, he becomes dirt cheap for the remainder of his deal.
I don't see what we could offer as Dubas sees Nylander as a key piece for the Leafs?? I like him but I don't see him as a core piece or worth his present salary for the Leaf's where he is down the depth chart. That might change if Kadri is traded and Nylander moves to center.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Dubas is going to live up to his "I promised Willy I won't trade him" comment, as silly as that is. So I suspect Willy is not available.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think Dubas is going to live up to his "I promised Willy I won't trade him" comment, as silly as that is. So I suspect Willy is not available.
I think Dubas has already debunked that "promise",

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Semantics with words but here is what Dubas Saud when asked. I think intention is the key word.

But what does Dubas have to say about this supposed promise?
“The discussion that William and I had had a couple of times was a fear of his … that he was being signed to be traded,” Dubas told Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports. “And my discussion with him, I just affirmed with him that that was not our intention whatsoever.
“Our intention was that as long as I was here that I saw him as a part of the
Toronto
Maple Leafs"

just a bit less committed than what’s out there (Dubas chose his words carefully – teams make decisions every now and then that they certainly never had any “intentions” of doing), and Elliotte Friedman has mentioned that he believes this season will be Nylander’s last in Toronto.
Pressed further, Dubas made clear that he’s not looking to trade his young winger.

Reactions: Mosby

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I like the Coyotes are in the enviable position of cap space, and can use that to their advantage.
I like the idea of Kessel, as he would like playing under Tocchet again.

Getting Point from TB would be a nice add too.

And I know Wennberg from the CBJ as floated here before - and they're showing they can win without him in the line up. However, don't take that as wrong (from me) as I am a Wennberg fan. I said here before that I truly believe he was just snakebit this year, but he was still effective when he played. I'd love to see him in a Coyotes uniform.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I didn't realize how tricky of a cap jam the Penguins are in. They might just need to move Kessel to change things up.

They have about 300k cap space. Bump that up to about 4 mil with a rising cap. No real big names to re-sign but they do need 4 forwards and 1 defenceman to simply fill out the lineup.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yeah I noticed that when I was looking at team cap space yesterday. They really can't do a shake up or even bring in new faces without moving at least one of Kessel, JJ, Maata, or Hornquist. Kessel is by far the most attractive out of that group, JJ is almost unmovable.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Considering that we are in the West, it would be more advantageous to work with Toronto, Florida and Tampa Bay than to work against them. Rather that they play with us, say, rather than LA or the Mighty Ducks.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah I noticed that when I was looking at team cap space yesterday. They really can't do a shake up or even bring in new faces without moving at least one of Kessel, JJ, Maata, or Hornquist. Kessel is by far the most attractive out of that group, JJ is almost unmovable.

They can move JJ with retention. He's a veteran bottom D with intangibles. He moves well, but he's makes stupid mistakes. No different than any other bottom pairing D. If he was making league minimum, noone would bat an eye.
It's like Schenn if he had a big contract. He looks alright in the right role and system. He's just never going to live up to all the hype when he was younger or live up to the contract. JJ can still skate, and he has size and intangibles. Everyone hates their bottom pairing D. Especially when they're overpaid. But I bet GM's and coaches love him.
Maatta is in a similar boat. He's slow as molasses, but reads the play well. Sort of the opposite of JJ in that sense. Also a lot younger. Only takes one GM to see something in him.
The problem I see is that if you dump those guys at 50% even, you still have to replace them. So you end up paying $1-2M for a replacement, plus $2M retention. Moving them only saves the Pens $0-$1M.

I think Hornqvist would be hard to move without retention as well, but he's a guy GM's and coaches would love to add. And frees up more space.
Kessel isn't overpaid, but he's got a bigger cap hit for other teams to accommodate. Might have a difficult time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad