Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He has to know that he doesn't have a guaranteed spot, and he's 23.

He has Foote, Schenn, Rutta and Masin as his competition for any of the 7-8 spots. Kid has fantastic odds. If Priskie WANTS to come here you get him. Period. Don't make excuses. You get talent and make it work.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
How to we fit him in salary and contract wise? Domingue needs to be traded asap first or Condon or something. Plus what kind of money can we offer him without Point signed?

This just doesn't seem realistic and basically our name is on the list because he's from Florida.

Also Boston fans are saying Murphy makes up shit all the time.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
How to we fit him in salary and contract wise? Domingue needs to be traded asap first or Condon or something. Plus what kind of money can we offer him without Point signed?

This just doesn't seem realistic and basically our name is on the list because he's from Florida.

Also Boston fans are saying Murphy makes up **** all the time.

He has never signed a nhl contract so it would be a ELC he has to sign salary cap won't be a problem.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Does that matter as a UFA? Not too sure myself?

Sustr was the same deal he had to do a elc. Justin Schultz had to do a elc contract with the oilers when he didn’t sign with the ducks. Is a no brainier you sign the guy! And trade dom somewhere then we can sign him and point

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Also Boston fans are saying Murphy makes up **** all the time.
It will be an ELC. Might be a variable of the standard one we are used to but he's gonna make less than Erne would have. We can absolutely fit this guy under the cap. It's gonna be nice having 2 decent defense prospects of we are in fact his choice.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It will be an ELC. Might be a variable of the standard one we are used to but he's gonna make less than Erne would have. We can absolutely fit this guy under the cap. It's gonna be nice having 2 decent defense prospects of we are in fact his choice.
With our cap troubles he would have a great chance of being in the nhl full time in 2020-2021

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He has Foote, Schenn, Rutta and Masin as his competition for any of the 7-8 spots. Kid has fantastic odds. If Priskie WANTS to come here you get him. Period. Don't make excuses. You get talent and make it work.

Just saying, if he signs here he has a lot more competition, where most teams he would have a clear path to key roles and lots of ice time. Career wise, it makes sense to sign with the team that could earn you the bigger pay day.

He's from south Florida, which helps explain why the Panthers and us seem to be in the mix. At least if you don't have any inside info, it helps make you look like you know what you are talking about.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If the kid believes in his abilities, he's going to the team that gives him the best opportunity for his career going forward, which is unquestionably TB if he can make the team.

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just saying, if he signs here he has a lot more competition, where most teams he would have a clear path to key roles and lots of ice time. Career wise, it makes sense to sign with the team that could earn you the bigger pay day.

He's from south Florida, which helps explain why the Panthers and us seem to be in the mix. At least if you don't have any inside info, it helps make you look like you know what you are talking about.

All true. But I'm always going to air on the side of optimism. Losing Stralman and Girardi sucks and we replaced either one with a guy (Shattenkirk) who isn't liable to be here long. If he leaves it's gonna kinda be like "Well now what do we do?" and I actually believe given the fact our main 6 D is Hedman-Shattenkirk, McDonagh-Cernak, Coburn-Sergachev that Priskie and even Foote have a halfways decent chance of making the team. Schenn and Rutta both can go to the AHL. I made a pretty substantial post extolling the virtues of NOT having 8 D and just 7 and how much better it would be to just roll 7 D and give that last roster spot to a forward instead of an 8th defensemen. There's room enough for a guy like Volkov and Verhaeghe (if not someone else) and the likes of Raddysh, ABB and Katchouk have only put a season in Syracuse and it won't hurt to give them another. If Priskie wins a spot out of camp it's worth it to have that extra defender in your back pocket (for cheap too) as backup for the inevitable cap crunch. Outside of Cal Foote we really don't have much going on in the way of a defensive prospect. There might be a chance Priskie is better to have than said extra forward.

But in the end it's ultimately Priskie's choice. If he turns us down it's no big deal because we got fish to fry anyway.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If the kid believes in his abilities, he's going to the team that gives him the best opportunity for his career going forward, which is unquestionably TB if he can make the team.

How is Tampa Bay the best place for his career going forward?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
How is Tampa Bay the best place for his career going forward?
If it's between Montreal, Florida and TB?

If he can make the team, he will be in a better position to produce, better position to compete and in a better position to earn a big second contract. Like I said, if the kid believes in his ability to be an NHL player then just going to the place where he'll get automatic top 4 time isn't necessarily what's best.

He'll get more time in Montreal and Florida, but Tampa absolutely gives him the biggest boom potential going into his next deal.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All true. But I'm always going to air on the side of optimism. Losing Stralman and Girardi sucks and we replaced either one with a guy (Shattenkirk) who isn't liable to be here long. If he leaves it's gonna kinda be like "Well now what do we do?" and I actually believe given the fact our main 6 D is Hedman-Shattenkirk, McDonagh-Cernak, Coburn-Sergachev that Priskie and even Foote have a halfways decent chance of making the team. Schenn and Rutta both can go to the AHL. I made a pretty substantial post extolling the virtues of NOT having 8 D and just 7 and how much better it would be to just roll 7 D and give that last roster spot to a forward instead of an 8th defensemen. There's room enough for a guy like Volkov and Verhaeghe (if not someone else) and the likes of Raddysh, ABB and Katchouk have only put a season in Syracuse and it won't hurt to give them another. If Priskie wins a spot out of camp it's worth it to have that extra defender in your back pocket (for cheap too) as backup for the inevitable cap crunch. Outside of Cal Foote we really don't have much going on in the way of a defensive prospect. There might be a chance Priskie is better to have than said extra forward.

But in the end it's ultimately Priskie's choice. If he turns us down it's no big deal because we got fish to fry anyway.
I'm not too worried about the D long term. Everything changes if/when Hedman or McDonagh take a step back. But, for the time being, it's reasonable to think both Cernak and Sergachev will progress. Even if we can't keep them both, we have Foote coming along. Beyond that, I just don't think the bottom pairing makes or breaks a championship team.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If it's between Montreal, Florida and TB?

If he can make the team, he will be in a better position to produce, better position to compete and in a better position to earn a big second contract. Like I said, if the kid believes in his ability to be an NHL player then just going to the place where he'll get automatic top 4 time isn't necessarily what's best.

He'll get more time in Montreal and Florida, but Tampa absolutely gives him the biggest boom potential going into his next deal.

"If he makes the team"? That's kind of the entire problem, you can't gloss over it as if it's a given. This league is chock full of good players who believed in themselves, but almost didn't get the opportunity until they positioned themselves well through free agency. You don't even have to look that far. Our championship team is full of guys who were outcasts. Yanni Gourde would be in some European league if we didn't give him a shot.

We may sign him, but he left a great team in Washington, if he's coming here, it's not because it's a good career decision.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only way to get him into the top six would be to move Coburn and put Sergachev on the left. But that gives us three guys 23 and under, which isn't really ideal for a contender.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
"If he makes the team"? That's kind of the entire problem, you can't gloss over it as if it's a given. This league is chock full of good players who believed in themselves, but almost didn't get the opportunity until they positioned themselves well through free agency. You don't even have to look that far. Our championship team is full of guys who were outcasts. Yanni Gourde would be in some European league if we didn't give him a shot.

We may sign him, but he left a great team in Washington, if he's coming here, it's not because it's a good career decision.

Not disagreeing but isnt he leaving because Washingtong's right side is deep? I wouldnt call us deep on the right side, especially after this year. I mean who do we have after Foote?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not disagreeing but isnt he leaving because Washingtong's right side is deep? I wouldnt call us deep on the right side, especially after this year. I mean who do we have after Foote?

Carlson is good, but Gudas and Jensen aren't better than Shattenkirk and Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland