Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Bergevin said it at the press conference. It looked like a tactic, like, "why match when he wants to play here anyway?" but if aho's agent is saying it... Bleh, what a terrible spot for Carolina to be in. They might have to give him up. Either that or keep him for a year and then trade him for the moon.

Would be the smarter route if that is the case right? At least you have control over what you get back.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would be the smarter route if that is the case right? At least you have control over what you get back.
Yeah. Aho at 8.5 is worth a lot more than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I would think. A ton more.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bergevin said it at the press conference. It looked like a tactic, like, "why match when he wants to play here anyway?" but if aho's agent is saying it... Bleh, what a terrible spot for Carolina to be in. They might have to give him up. Either that or keep him for a year and then trade him for the moon.
His new contract though is heavily front loaded. Why pay so much in year 1 and then trade him away after. That's a gift for the next team to get him.

Reactions: DFC

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Palat walking into JBB's office knowing someone has to go.

"Hey Ondrej...."

iu

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His new contract though is heavily front loaded. Why pay so much in year 1 and then trade him away after. That's a gift for the next team to get him.
Depends how much the cash matters to the owner. I think it does matter to Carolina. I don't think a more cash heavy team would care as much.

Carolina must have spoken to Aho if the agent's comments don't give them pause.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I still believe the only reason Montreal went after Carolina first was because of Dundon. They know what kind of debt he absorbed with the AAF. Front loading the contract like that was an immediate f*** you to him.

They know to get to us they would have mess with our cap, but it's not like we won't have the ability to move someone. Whomever we move to fit in Point would significantly help another team and they will be able to get that player for pennies on the dollar.

The only way I see us not matching is if it pushes into the 4 1sts range, to which management will sit down and have to really determine that by subtraction from the team, does it outweigh Point staying.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder if there is a way to package Palat in a deal fro Krieder.
I would say no if NY hadn't just signed panarin. Are they back in win-now mode? Are they still planning to move kreider?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I would say no if NY hadn't just signed panarin. Are they back in win-now mode? Are they still planning to move kreider?
I don't see how they could consider themselves in win now mode. They're set up nicely, but they still need some work before they're going to compete. I think they deal him at the deadline.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see how they could consider themselves in win now mode. They're set up nicely, but they still need some work before they're going to compete. I think they deal him at the deadline.
That would be kind of perfect for us.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Depends how much the cash matters to the owner. I think it does matter to Carolina. I don't think a more cash heavy team would care as much.

Carolina must have spoken to Aho if the agent's comments don't give them pause.
I don't know how deep their pockets are in Carolina, but for the past 4 seasons they've been bottom of the league in cap hit.

2019: 63.2M (last)
2018: 59.2M (2nd to last)
2017: 56.8M (last)
2016: 61.2M (3rd to last)

I'm not sure if that's just from them trying to rebuild with a young team or if they've been forced to work within their own internal cap. But the answer might come from the reason why Montreals offer was front loaded. Because 8.4 on it's own is not a terrible thing. That's not a problem for most GMs. But like you said, is it a problem in year 1 for the owner who has to write those checks?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't know how deep their pockets are in Carolina, but for the past 4 seasons they've been bottom of the league in cap hit.

I'm not sure if that's just from them trying to rebuild with a young team or if they've been forced to work within their own internal cap. But the answer might come from the reason why Montreals offer was front loaded. Because 8.4 on it's own is not a terrible thing. That's not a problem for most GMs. But like you said, is it a problem in year 1 for the owner who has to write those checks?

This is exactly why they offer sheeted Aho and not Point. Tampa has shown a willingness to spend money and use available cap space. Carolina has not and Bergevin thought they would have trouble being able to match. Its quite a lot of money for him up front.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

This is exactly why they offer sheeted Aho and not Point. Tampa has shown a willingness to spend money and use available cap space. Carolina has not and Bergevin thought they would have trouble being able to match. Its quite a lot of money for him up front.

AAF investor Tom Dundon seeks $70M refund, alleges founders misled him about doomed league's finances

This is the foremost the number 1 reason they went after Carolina. Thomas Dundon is in the hole with the AAF and paying 21 million up front for one player is going to be a tough sell for Waddell.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
AAF investor Tom Dundon seeks $70M refund, alleges founders misled him about doomed league's finances

This is the foremost the number 1 reason they went after Carolina. Thomas Dundon is in the hole with the AAF and paying 21 million up front for one player is going to be a tough sell for Waddell.
I dunno. He is in the hole on that, but those AAF nincompoops (pardon my language, this is a family friendly board) said that $70m would be enough. It seems kind of obvious that the AAF would lose money with their overhead so high and zero brand recognition. He came in after like two weeks of play. He'd have to have known the teams weren't going to come close.

What he wanted out of it at the end there was the NFL to take it over as their minor league.

I just don't see that investment not paying off and Aho being connected. When you get to the primary NHL owner level, you have a little bit of a nest egg.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I dunno. He is in the hole on that, but those AAF nincompoops (pardon my language, this is a family friendly board) said that $70m would be enough. It seems kind of obvious that the AAF would lose money with their overhead so high and zero brand recognition. He came in after like two weeks of play. He'd have to have known the teams weren't going to come close.

What he wanted out of it at the end there was the NFL to take it over as their minor league.

I just don't see that investment not paying off and Aho being connected. When you get to the primary NHL owner level, you have a little bit of a nest egg.
Dundon is a Billionaire, he has money. The 70 million he put up is cash. He might have been cash strapped. Apparently though Carolina has said they are going to match but wait out the week to tie up Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad