2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Good stuff.

Didn't know Alain Chainey had Kotkaniemi there too. That guy had Getzlaf 5th in 2003. Convinced his GM to trade two 2nds to draft Perry.

Had Karlsson very, very high, but dumbass Burke didn't want a 5'10 D, so he traded down from 12th to 18th despite Chainey's protests.

Guy's drafts helped Anaheim get that cup, despite high picks in awful drafts and low ones in good ones.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Good stuff.

Didn't know Alain Chainey had Kotkaniemi there too. That guy had Getzlaf 5th in 2003. Convinced his GM to trade two 2nds to draft Perry.

Had Karlsson very, very high, but dumbass Burke didn't want a 5'10 D, so he traded down from 12th to 18th despite Chainey's protests.
Yeah, he has some good calls.

There's a lot more real scouts that had Kotkaniemi in the top five than scouts that had him outside the top 5.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, he has some good calls.

There's a lot more real scouts that had Kotkaniemi in the top five than scouts that had him outside the top 5.

Yeah.

And its validating to hear these guys share a lot of what we saw in these players too (Fonstad, Ylonen, Hillis). Cause, we don't get much feedback aside from the posters who come in in May/June to tell us all how dumb and arrogant we are in our rankings.

And I'm like 100% sure one of the players they talked about was Merkley too (the guy that had one as a ND).

I also have a theory that the team invested more since 2016. For one, our drafts are better(not that it was hard - we were shit for 7 years), they've (MB aside) started talking about skill quite a bit more and the pros they consulted (that guy with the PhD) I don't remember being there 5-10 years ago. They seem to taken a lot of data and different perspectives. I like it.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Who's the weakling (but very good player) Rockstrom's talking about. Berggren, Ylonen?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Not taking someone in the 7th round that as we seen been taken by another team in the mid first round would be really dumb of them. It shouldn't be black and white for players of that skill level, I don't like him therefore ND list is a wrong way to approach this if Merkley is the guy they are speaking of.

Reactions: Fenris and Mrb1p

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not taking someone in the 7th round that as we seen been taken by another team in the mid first round would be really dumb of them. It shouldn't be black and white for players of that skill level, I don't like him therefore ND list is a wrong way to approach this if Merkley is the guy they are speaking of.
I really don't like Merkley, but I think it's idiotic not to gamble on him with a 7th.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
So Hillis was our guy with that last 2nd before we traded down and we still got him, nice.

not to make something of nothing but it looked like Timmins kind of rolled his eyes when MB says we got a trade, guess he really wanted Hillis.

And I'm damn glad we did get him, to me, Hillis could be the steal of the draft. (yeah, I'm that high on him)

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

there was no name given though so we can't really say. But look at David Fischer, at least one scout had him at a ND if I recall correctly and it was the right call despite him being a smooth skating blueliner with size. That said in the 7th round you should be taking chances on players that others don't want. To think we could of had Anders Lee in the 7th round, wanted him so badly but teams were scared off since he was so good at HS football they didn't draft him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
not to make something of nothing but it looked like Timmins kind of rolled his eyes when MB says we got a trade, guess he really wanted Hillis.

He said he was nervous about the trade, didn't want to miss out on Hillis.

Reactions: dralaf

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
The more of Alex Turcotte I watch the more I'm hoping he will be our pick next year. This kid will undoubtedly become my fav prospect to watch this season. Blazing speed, great hands and the vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad