2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I agree another centre would be needed, but I hope we dont draft for need a second year in a row. If a winger or dman is the best player available when we pick, go for it. Hope it's not a dman though because from the look of it, there won't be a dman picked in the top 5. Maybe Byram.

We should not get over-obsessed with the centre position. I understand we are all a bit in a shock trauma position after going through a whole decade without a real centre and having traded a top prospect for a winger to make him play down the middle, but it's possible to have a very good team with 1A/1B centre (for exemple, Kotkaniemi/Poehling/Olofsson) if they are supported with great wingers.
Poehling or Olofsson would have to hit huge development curves and exceed all expectations to reach that level.
Besides, it's much more likely to have wingers propped up by great centers than the other way around.

That being said, there is a winger this year who's making a case over some of the centers and defense, unlike this past crop. So I'd be okay going in that direction.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Poehling or Olofsson would have to hit huge development curves and exceed all expectations to reach that level.
Besides, it's much more common to have wingers propped up by great centers than the other way around.

That being said, there is a winger this year who's making a case over some of the centers and defense, unlike this past crop. So I'd be okay going in that direction.
Svechnikov doe

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Sure, but we have less chance of being in the conversation for Kakko than we do too
Is it? As far as I'm concerned and the general sense I'm getting here, Kakko's as much a lock at 2.
But seems pretty open elsewhere, I know Edwards has him 4th behind Newhook and Turcotte.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Besides, it's much more likely to have wingers propped up by great centers than the other way around.

Yeah I mean, they will probably never develop into a legit 1 centreman but I think there's a chance they could hold their own on a 2nd line even in a 1A/1B role. Bit of a stretch and there's more chance they develop into bottom six players but who knows?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah I mean, they will probably never develop into a legit 1 centreman but I think there's a chance they could hold their own on a 2nd line even in a 1A/1B role. Bit of a stretch and there's more chance they develop into bottom six players but who knows?
Lets shoot for two solid number ones instead of mediocrity.

Reactions: Anardil

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Is it? As far as I'm concerned and the general sense I'm getting here, Kakko's as much a lock at 2.
But seems pretty open elsewhere, I know Edwards has him 4th behind Newhook and Turcotte.
I'm confident Kakko will lock himself into that spot a few weeks into the season

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think having Kotkaniemi and Kakko together would be pretty awesome. Of course Hughes is the ultimate dream.

Reactions: Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think having Kotkaniemi and Kakko together would be pretty awesome. Of course Hughes is the ultimate dream.

Assuming all the names reach potential...

Hughes, Dach or Kakko would solve many problems.

I think Hughes is the #1 for most but Dach would be amazing. Dach/Kotkaniemi/Poehling would be a nightmare #1 to #3 center depth to deal with.

Of course, Kotkaniemi and Kakko on the first line would be great.

Reactions: Tuggy
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Still, drafting Hugues would fast-forward our rebuild instantly. We could head next season with that:

Lehkonen - Hugues - Gallagher
Domi - Danault - Scherbak
Hudon - Poehling - Armia
De La Rose - Evans - Deslauries

And with Kotkaniemi in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad