Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Bob and everyone else with credibility has us taking Hughes. Stan and some interns doesn’t change that.

Yes, but never underestimate the knowledge a young, attractive intern may have learned.

The 2nd round onward this Saturday will be aired *ONLY* on NHL Network (which I don't have). What a bunch of bull.

Curious who in 2019 still doesnt carry NHL Network? Comcast, TimeWarner, DirecTV, FIOS I know all do.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ive been overseas since early June. Very interested in Filip Rasmussen (younger brother of Filo, a 2013 bust) as a sleeper pick in the 4th or 5th round. Devils scouts are also raving about the plethora of Russian prospects.
We have gone the Russian route pretty often under Shero. Though more so in the later rounds.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Except Byram>Larsson

For sure, no contest

Before we knew our draft position, Byram was the player I was really high on, which I confess was grounded more so in a team-need perspective

Since then however it seems he has crept up in the rankings, which doesn't surprise me

bigvonbody

Sep 27, 2018
We have gone the Russian route pretty often under Shero. Though more so in the later rounds.

There is more high end talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. One of them will be a steal. My moneys on Afanasyev eclipsing Podkolzin over time. He's got all the tools. They also feel comfortable about how many Russians are coming up in North American systems.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
in the Journey to One video Shero says ‘we get a chance to draft ‘him?’

Legend has it all of Finland refers to Kakko as ‘him’

WERE DOOMED :sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There is more high end talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. One of them will be a steal. My moneys on Afanasyev eclipsing Podkolzin over time. He's got all the tools. They also feel comfortable about how many Russians are coming up in North American systems.

1)Not sure what you mean by the bold?

2)I'm not a huge Podkolzin guy. I think he had a huge Gretzky tourney last summer and that catapulted him up the rankings, then, because he plays in the KHL not many draft pundits were able to watch him, so despite what looks like some unimpressive #'s, he did not drop as much as you might expect. Then a meh U-18 and he drops. So for all the talk about not putting too much weight into these short tourney's, his draft stock both the rise and the fall, appear very aligned with 2 short tourneys. His overall body of work does not say top 10 talent, and I'm not sure it says top 20 either.

bigvonbody

Sep 27, 2018
1)Not sure what you mean by the bold?

2)I'm not a huge Podkolzin guy. I think he had a huge Gretzky tourney last summer and that catapulted him up the rankings, then, because he plays in the KHL not many draft pundits were able to watch him, so despite what looks like some unimpressive #'s, he did not dropped as much as you might expect. Then a meh U-18 and then he drops. So for all the talk about not putting too much weight into these short tourney's, his draft stock both good and bad, appears very aligned with 2 short tourneys. His overall body of work does not say top 10 talent, and I'm not sure it says top 20 either.

What I mean is that a lot of young Russian prospects are playing in North America, coming up in a certain system. Not like Podkolzin, who still has 2 years left in the KHL. Not many GM's are comfortable with that given how many guys just go back to the KHL.

Podlkozin really needs to work on his skating.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
For sure, no contest

Before we knew our draft position, Byram was the player I was really high on, which I confess was grounded more so in a team-need perspective

Since then however it seems he has crept up in the rankings, which doesn't surprise me

Same, dare I say I was almost "disappointed" when we won the lottery and essentially lost out on having 3rd or 4th, that's how high I am on him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What I mean is that a lot of young Russian prospects are playing in North America, coming up in a certain system. Not like Podkolzin, who still has 2 years left in the KHL. Not many GM's are comfortable with that given how many guys just go back to the KHL.

Podlkozin really needs to work on his skating.
Are more Russian prospects coming over to get acclimated? I know it's a good sign when those guys do, to say, hey we want to play in NA.

But, the Devils have gone straight Russian in recent years, Maltsev, Rykov Zaitsev. Sharangovich too, though he is Belarussian.

Pop's is a Russian they drafted who played in NA, and although for different reasons, like the guys that were in Russia, was able to be drafted at value.

bigvonbody

Sep 27, 2018
Are more Russian prospects coming over to get acclimated? I know it's a good sign when those guys do, to say, hey we want to play in NA.

But, the Devils have gone straight Russian in recent years, Maltsev, Rykov Zaitsev. Sharangovich too, though he is Belarussian.

Pop's is a Russian they drafted who played in NA, and although for different reasons, like the guys that were in Russia, was able to be drafted at value.

They are living in North America and being acclimated to the NA systems, whether its College, OHL, or whatever may be. They arent just coming off a plane from Russia. They are growing up with their fellow NA prospects, which is good. My main point is taking a chance on one of these Russians cant hurt. Especially in this deep of a draft of Russian talent. Someone will breakout.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They are living in North America and being acclimated to the NA systems, whether its College, OHL, or whatever may be. They arent just coming off a plane from Russia. They are growing up with their fellow NA prospects, which is good. My main point is taking a chance on one of these Russians cant hurt. Especially in this deep of a draft of Russian talent. Someone will breakout.
Are they doing this more now then before? I know Nails was playing in the OHL for a couple years before being drafted.

Also seems like the Russians gravitate towards the USHL a bit. Do you think that is true?

bigvonbody

Sep 27, 2018
Are they doing this more now then before? I know Nails was playing in the OHL for a couple years before being drafted.

Also seems like the Russians gravitate towards the USHL a bit. Do you think that is true?

Yes, that's what I mean. There is an uptick in prospects deciding to come to NA at a younger age. USHL is another destination.

Take a look at the list and just how many Russians are playing in either Canada or the US. Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS TOP 31

I'm not saying go Russian crazy at the draft, but using one of our seconds to nab one could pay off huge dividends. I'm very high on Afansyev and even Abramov, or Doro.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Firstov is another high-upside Russian kid who tore up the USHL, along with Afanaseyev. Like you, I'm very high on Afanasyev, but there is no denying that Firstov's shot is a high-caliber weapon.

Reactions: bigvonbody

bigvonbody

Sep 27, 2018
Firstov is another high-upside Russian kid who tore up the USHL, along with Afanaseyev. Like you, I'm very high on Afanasyev, but there is no denying that Firstov's shot is a high-caliber weapon.

Firstov, the list goes on. Its exactly my point. If one of these guys is on the board in the 2nd or 3rd, take a chance.

I see Afansyev as a Malkin-lite, skilled 2nd line winger with size. If you watch him, he plays the game very similarly.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, that's what I mean. There is an uptick in prospects deciding to come to NA at a younger age. USHL is another destination.

Take a look at the list and just how many Russians are playing in either Canada or the US. Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS TOP 31

I'm not saying go Russian crazy at the draft, but using one of our seconds to nab one could pay off huge dividends. I'm very high on Afansyev and even Abramov, or Doro.

If Dorofeyev were available at #34, he would be an outstanding pick there. The kid reminds me a lot of Filip Forsberg, it's strange how under-the-radar he has gone. Afanaseyev and Spiridonov would also be tremendous picks in the second round. Firstov is not a guy I would look at until the third round, and I would not chance on Abramov until the fourth.

bigvonbody

Sep 27, 2018
If Dorofeyev were available at #34, he would be an outstanding pick there. The kid reminds me a lot of Filip Forsberg, it's strange how under-the-radar he has gone. Afanaseyev and Spiridonov would also be tremendous picks in the second round. Firstov is not a guy I would look at until the third round, and I would not chance on Abramov until the fourth.

Yeah, I agree with that. There are definitely tiers of who we should take in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. You've got it right. Mckenzie has Brett Leason at 34. He's alright but his skating is pretty atrocious.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Would of been nice if you specified only Russians bud.

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS TOP 31

:sarcasm:

What really stands out to me is just the lack of high end Russians overall. Podkolzin at 4, which I think is too high, the next guy at 26 and that is in the top 31.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I agree with that. There are definitely tiers of who we should take in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. You've got it right. Mckenzie has Brett Leason at 34. He's alright but his skating is pretty atrocious.
I find Leason an oddity on the draft boards. We often see guys in their +2 years have huge seasons, many who amount to very little. So what about Leason makes him worthy of a high pick?

And if your going to tell me he is a bad skater? Don't like that profile at all.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Leason's skating has really improved over the past two seasons -- this is precisely why he has gone from twice-undrafted to a potential first-round pick. He also has some nice puck skills/scoring ability and a tremendous power game at 6'5. I think he projects more as a mid-6 power F than a top-line scorer, so he's not a home run pick by any means. But it's worth noting that he is very close to NHL-ready, and he's the type of player you love to have on your side in the post-season. I think of him as a right-shooting Pat Maroon with greater offensive potential -- maybe a 25-30-55 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad