Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
A quick glance through the top of the list, the only thing I saw rated higher was Caufield got a full 80/80 for his shot. That was only a quick glance though.
Yeah, that was the only 80...though Caufield was also one of only 3 players to also receive a 20 (for physical game for all 3 players).

The only 75's handed out were to Zegras for his hockey sense and Vlasic for his physical game.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Triumph said:
Man do I dislike the 20-80 scale. If you're only going to rate 1% of players an 80 in anything, what's the use of compressing the scale? I recognize that by the middle of the 1st round, qualitative evaluation isn't going to do a whole lot, but still.

Reminds me a bit of this article which looked back at 70,000 scouting reports that the Reds did over the years: The Evolution of MLB Scouting Is a Threat to the Profession Itself

Habitual grading differences between generous and conservative scouts. An inherent risk aversion that compressed players’ scores, leading to bunching toward the center of the scouting scale and a loss of analytical value. An ill-considered (or unconsidered) weighting of tool grades to produce an overall rating.

It's also amusing to me to see Sig Mehdal listed as an executive today. He got his foot in the door by being an unpaid consultant to this guy who was writing a book about being in a high stakes fantasy baseball league in 2004. Mehdal was working for NASA at the time.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, that was the only 80...though Caufield was also one of only 3 players to also receive a 20 (for physical game for all 3 players).

The only 75's handed out were to Zegras for his hockey sense and Vlasic for his physical game.

Yeah, I love Pronman but I often disagree with him. Vlasic is not even the most physical defender on his own team.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Reminds me a bit of this article which looked back at 70,000 scouting reports that the Reds did over the years: The Evolution of MLB Scouting Is a Threat to the Profession Itself

It's also amusing to me to see Sig Mehdal listed as an executive today. He got his foot in the door by being an unpaid consultant to this guy who was writing a book about being in a high stakes fantasy baseball league in 2004. Mehdal was working for NASA at the time.

That's fascinating. Also it's precisely why I don't like to use any particular numerical scales when discussing prospects. Instead, I use far too many adverbs and superlatives.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I wouldn't take Caufield over Turcotte, Zegras, Cozens, or even Boldy. And I really like Caufield.

Caufield is my pick for most likely disappointment versus current expectations.

That doesnt mean I think he WILL disappoint, but what I'm saying is he's higher risk since his entire game relies around shooting the puck and relying on others to generate for him. Those players are de facto higher risk. The fact that he's a generous 5'7" and is now projected as high as #5 are other big contributors to my logic.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Caufield is my pick for most likely disappointment versus current expectations.

That doesnt mean I think he WILL disappoint, but what I'm saying is he's higher risk since his entire game relies around shooting the puck and relying on others to generate for him. Those players are de facto higher risk. The fact that he's a generous 5'7" and is not projected as high as #5 are other big contributors to my logic.
I think he can generate scoring chances for himself pretty well. But I agree his hype train was running super hot during the U-18's.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
People didn't have Jamieson Rees in the first round? Pretty sure the ones I've seen all did.

Could you send me a link? The rankings I have found on Rees are:

TSN #43
Future Considerations #73
Elite Prospects #86
Dobber #41
McKeen's not in top 93
Kournianos #62
Pronman #46

I'm the only person I've seen with Rees in the first round, much less the top 25 where I have him ranked.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Could you send me a link? The rankings I have found on Rees are:

TSN #43
Future Considerations #73
Elite Prospects #86
Dobber #41
McKeen's not in top 93
Kournianos #62
Pronman #46

I'm the only person I've seen with Rees in the first round, much less the top 25 where I have him ranked.
Wheeler #44

Ah, Button was already mentioned.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Wheeler #44

Ah, Button was already mentioned.

What's interesting about Jamieson Rees is that he is precisely the kind of player which Shero/Castron seem to target. He's an outstanding skater with an off-the-charts compete level and just great two-way acumen. His passing and vision are also tremendous tools. Were the Devils drafting #3 overall (in which case Byram would be the likely pick), I would almost certainly mock Rees to the Devils at #34. In my mind, this kid has true NHL 1C upside. But would the Devils draft left-shot centers with both of their top-two picks? I can't say I know.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I know Button had him 1st Round in the prior mock draft (i.e. the one before today) he did, so I didnt realize that wasnt a consensus opinion. I know when I watched U18s, the announcers spoke of him as he had a good chance of going Round 1 too. It would be awesome if he could fall to the Devils at #34.

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
11 games isn't much so take this with a grain of salt and I'm unsure of the competition level but I found this mildly interesting.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
What's interesting about Jamieson Rees is that he is precisely the kind of player which Shero/Castron seem to target. He's an outstanding skater with an off-the-charts compete level and just great two-way acumen. His passing and vision are also tremendous tools. Were the Devils drafting #3 overall (in which case Byram would be the likely pick), I would almost certainly mock Rees to the Devils at #34. In my mind, this kid has true NHL 1C upside. But would the Devils draft left-shot centers with both of their top-two picks? I can't say I know.

I mean I know nothing about the player, but his production is very meh for someone who some think has that kind of upside.

Reactions: devilsblood

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I mean I know nothing about the player, but his production is very meh for someone who some think has that kind of upside.

Jamieson Rees had an injury and suspension-ravaged draft-eligible season and still led the OHL in primary assists per game. That certainly gives me hope that he is due for an offensive explosion in 2019-20. I think he's the penultimate second-round steal.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Jamieson Rees had an injury and suspension-ravaged draft-eligible season and still led the OHL in primary assists per game. That certainly gives me hope that he is due for an offensive explosion in 2019-20. I think he's the penultimate second-round steal.
yeah but 10 goals in 37 games.

Sometimes I think the stats are parsed a little too finely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->