Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Cam York or Bobby Brink please. Don’t think I’ve watched Tomasino and I don’t like Lavoie & Robertson in particular.

Yea, i watch these PO's now and skating is so essential in todays game.
Why i'm sorta indifferent on the big guys with skill but not so quick.
Tomasino seems like a safe pick.
I like York, Heinola, Brink, Caufield alot in terms of guys who may fall to our range.
And my fave outside of the top 5 or maybe 10 is Newhook. Theres things in his game that remind me of Sid.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pretty close to BigFoot if you ask me. :laugh:

From that list: I don't know much about any of them but if Lavoie keeps creeping up like someone said here he could be a good pick, big center, nice. I mean, if we're really going bigger/tougher...

For our needs tho i'd go for one of those 2D but in the end, it's usually BPA.

If the Pens ever traded up to say Florida and #13 they better be taking Lavoie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yea, i watch these PO's now and skating is so essential in todays game.
Why i'm sorta indifferent on the big guys with skill but not so quick.
Tomasino seems like a safe pick.
I like York, Heinola, Brink, Caufield alot in terms of guys who may fall to our range.
And my fave outside of the top 5 or maybe 10 is Newhook. Theres things in his game that remind me of Sid.
I think people are seeing DuBois’ success and drawing their own conclusions as to what kind of player Lavoie will be due to circumstantial similarities but for starters he’s just not that style of player and I don’t think he’s that intriguing even in his own style. And I’d like to see more production from rookie to 2nd year in juniors, especially considering he’s a late Sept. birthday, and was only a week or two from being eligible for last year’s draft, so the guys slated to be picked around him are much younger.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think people are seeing DuBois’ success and drawing their own conclusions as to what kind of player Lavoie will be due to circumstantial similarities but for starters he’s just not that style of player and I don’t think he’s that intriguing even in his own style. And I’d like to see more production from rookie to 2nd year in juniors, especially considering he’s a late Sept. birthday, and was only a week or two from being eligible for last year’s draft, so the guys slated to be picked around him are much younger.

Yea, theres that too...
I'll get a better look at him at the Mem. Cup here coming up.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
it might be that it's because of how high we are picking this year but it does seem to be a nice group of players we will have to pick from. (very high up side):)

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
Carolina, CBJ, Dallas and Colorado continuing to advance would improve our pick, right? what's the highest our pick could be?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Carolina, CBJ, Dallas and Colorado continuing to advance would improve our pick, right? what's the highest our pick could be?
19. its 22 atm. but will move up one spot for every of Carolina, Colorado and CBJ that advances. It already moved from 23-22 because whoever wins of dallas - STL have lower points than us.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007

I'm a STH in Halifax and you are quite correct that he is quite different than Dubois. Lavoie has a lot of good attribute, but i'll let you all know when he visits a corner this season. Dubois has a ton more grit to his game. People should be looking at Anthony Mantha as a Lavoie comparable both in skillset (which is not a bad thing) and inconsistent intensity from game to game. Even in the playoffs, he's been scoring a ton, but i wouldn't say he's been dominating - just capitalizing on all his chances. His snap shot is impressive and he has a ton of puck skills for a guy his size. I'd be happy if the Pens drafted him as there is a great set of tools to work with, but i'd be surprised if he dropped to us.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
CAR up 3-0 pretty much locks up pick #21 for us. Can't see Trotz's Isles overcoming that hole with CAR getting bodies back.

Think we got a decent shot @ #20 with CBJ.
COL and MacKinnon dragging his squad past SJ...not so much.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Read alot of mocks and i'd say a pretty good grouping to pick from in the #20-21 range is pretty much(bold i like most):

York
Kaliyev
Suzuki
Harley
Lavoie
Heinola
Seider
Brink
McMicheal
Rees
Lassi Thomson
Tomasino
Robertson
Pelletier
Bjornfot
Poulin
Vlasic

Think one forward who MAY drop from the upper echelons might be Boldy.
Couple of D who MAY drop that low: Soderstrom/Broberg.
For a "holy crap we can get him here" pick(for me): Newhook.

ETA: And to be quite honest i want another 1st in this draft which shouldn't be hard to accomplish if Phil and/or Geno and/or Letang are being shopped.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Read alot of mocks and i'd say a pretty good grouping to pick from in the #20-21 range is pretty much(bold i like most):

York
Kaliyev
Suzuki
Harley
Lavoie
Heinola
Seider
Brink
McMicheal
Rees
Lassi Thomson
Tomasino
Robertson
Pelletier
Bjornfot
Poulin
Vlasic

ETA: And to be quite honest i want another 1st in this draft which shouldn't be hard to accomplish if Phil and/or Geno and/or Letang are being shopped.

Suzuki is one Id like but if I have my choice from that list, its Lavoie. He checks so many boxes of what we need in the system.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Suzuki is one Id like but if I have my choice from that list, its Lavoie. He checks so many boxes of what we need in the system.

Yea those 2 wouldn't be bad either.

2 firsts would be badass, especially if it turned out that we could get 1 forward and 1 D with them.

Like, Brink & York or Heinola & Kaliyev.

Was thinking the exact same thing in terms of 1D/1F.

Reactions: Jacob

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Trading Phil for a 1st rounder, particularly one around pick 15 or so, would be probably the best outcome of the Phil saga.

You save a ton of cap to chase free agents, and you now have two firsts to either use as assets or make the picks yourself, adding premium guys to an utterly embarrassing prospect pool.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

York
Kaliyev
Suzuki
Harley
Lavoie
Heinola
Seider
Brink
McMicheal
Rees
Lassi Thomson
Tomasino
Robertson
Pelletier
Bjornfot
Poulin
Vlasic

For sort of a secondary in this for me(past the boldeds):

Lavoie
Suzuki
Pelletier
Bjornfot
And mayyybe Robertson

Wouldn't mind any of them either.
Think all the others are either really "safe" picks that don't have as high of a ceiling or a one trick pony(Kaliyev). He is lethal from that right dot tho.
Thomson(the offensive RD Fin who plays in the WHL) is interesting. Late birthday like Lavoie but he has nice skills/a booming shot. Don't know a ton about his skating tho. Seems to be a decent skater cuz he's always joining/leading rushes in the highlights i've seen.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Heinola supposedly had a bad U18s.. but he was fine at the U20s and is already an SM-Liiga regular so I kind of hope we nab him. Very Quinn Hughes like.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
whats the kncok on Kaliyev? looks to have put up good numbers that should warrant a higher ranking if not for some kind of problem in his game.
102 points. more than 20 points better than the next best on his team.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

York
Kaliyev
Suzuki
Harley
Lavoie
Heinola
Seider
Brink
McMicheal
Rees
Lassi Thomson
Tomasino
Robertson
Pelletier
Bjornfot
Poulin
Vlasic

I think Harley will be long gone. he's going to be another tanger imo. man can he skate. and sadly so will be newhook. but we can always hope.:nod:
edit; shame we don't have the picks to trade up.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
With all the talk of Kessel being on the move, would have to think ending up Arizona's 14th overall is a fairly likely possibility, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad