Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
In a mock draft, TSN has us picking Cam York at 17th

58008080_427559111392307_7596003864633933824_n.png

Who's the last ginger to play for the Penguins?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What's the appeal of Ryan Johnson? I see him in the late teens / early 20s in mocks, and I've never seen him play and have a hard time pulling up scouting reports on him. Stats aren't impressive, especially by USHL standards.

Reactions: Burn

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What's the appeal of Ryan Johnson? I see him in the late teens / early 20s in mocks, and I've never seen him play and have a hard time pulling up scouting reports on him. Stats aren't impressive, especially by USHL standards.

Not gonna pretend that I know much about him at all, but have heard he’s an unreal skater. Just know that and the fact he has NHL bloodlines.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Seems like the Cam York thats not actually Cam York type.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If we keep the first round pick, I think it will be for a D.

But I wouldn't mind if we used our picks to trade for good non-rentals of some sorts. I'd rather have us stay competitive for as long as possible for Sid's a Geno's sake and bite the bullet afterwards. I think there could be some good trades to be made.

I don't really trust Jimmy with or without the pick though. :help:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Podkolzin fell to 19 I’m not even sure I’d take him.

He would absolutely 100% BPA at 19. Yes, you would.

I've been watching Raphaël Lavoie for awhile. He's been creeping up the chart. At 15 now but I would LOVE to nab him.

Reactions: Burn

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
BPA everyday and twice on Sunday. That said, I think it's worth thinking about drafting a post-Letang anchor for the blueline, but I don't know a whole lot about this year's draft class.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens only have this one first round pick to nail since theyve traded so many picks...just try to pick up a difference maker regardless of position, whomever is most likely...we have so few difference-maker prospects already...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The Pens only have this one first round pick to nail since theyve traded so many picks...just try to pick up a difference maker regardless of position, whomever is most likely...we have so few difference-maker prospects already...
i'm hoping that we will have more (with trades) but where we are picking now i'm looking at one of heinola, bjornfot, brink, and seider. I could see seider going earlier just because he's a righty. and of course someone could fall.:crossfing

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lightweight mobile new age attacking defenseman with good upside due to his mobility, puck carrying skills and over all awareness. Excellent in transition with the outlet pass or carrying the mail. His high end footwork allows him to be aggressive defensively with the confidence in his lateral agility to get back in the mix. In the World Junior Challenge, he acted as a shadow who mirrored the movements of Podkolzin. Needs to get better in his diagnosis and reaction in his end so he isn’t running around so much, but his feet with eventually settle down and slow the game down. Very good at joining the rush down low, but is careful not to get caught. His long fast strides point to his upside. Almost looks as though he uses the boards to secure the time and space to suddenly explode out at top gear in a series of cuts to surprise and catch teams flat footed. There is lots of upside in this youngster who needs a bit more development and weight room work.
mid 2nd pick. imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm sure they'll try to pick up a difference maker, but the problem is that true difference makers don't usually last to 19th-23rd overall in the draft.

For fun, let's take a look at the 06-15 drafts. That's ten years of recent drafts, where the most recent draft being long enough ago to reasonably have made the NHL by now (given that we're talking about first round picks).
19th overall picks: Mitera, MacMillan, Sbisa, Kreider, Bjugstad, Klefbom, Vasilevskiy, Rychel, Deangelo, Svechnikov
20th overall: Fischer, Esposito, Del Zotto, Josefson, Bennett, Murphy, Laughton, Mantha, Schmaltz, Eriksson Ek
21st overall: Sanguinetti, Nash (Riley), Gustagsson, Moore, Sheahan, Noesen, Jankowski, Gauthier, Gabbri, White (Colin)
22nd overall: Giroux, Pacioretty, Eberle, Schroeder, Tinordi, Biggs, Maatta, Poirier, Kapanen, Samsonov
23rd overall: Varlamov, Blum, Cuma, Erixon, Pysyk, Morrow (Joe), Matheson, Burakosvky, Bleackley, Boeser

Yes, there are some difference makers sprinkled in there, but there are also a fair number of outright busts. Most kind of fall into a more-or-less average NHL player level. It's hard to say that the Pens have to nail this pick, because the chances really aren't all that great.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yes, there are some difference makers sprinkled in there, but there are also a fair number of outright busts. Most kind of fall into a more-or-less average NHL player level. It's hard to say that the Pens have to nail this pick, because the chances really aren't all that great.

I completely agree with the premise of your post but if they keep the pick, it's crucial to hit on their selection (imo have them become at least a positive contributor 4/5ishD or middle 6 forward).

They don't pick again until the 4th round, have a lack of young talent on the NHL roster, and only hold one top 60 selection next year. Can't afford to finally keep a high pick for the first time in years and then waste it.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I completely agree with the premise of your post but if they keep the pick, it's crucial to hit on their selection (imo have them become at least a positive contributor 4/5ishD or middle 6 forward).

They don't pick again until the 4th round, have a lack of young talent on the NHL roster, and only hold one top 60 selection next year. Can't afford to finally keep a high pick for the first time in years and then waste it.

Conceptually, I agree. Realistically, it's rather hard to know whether they've actually hit on the selection or not for a few years - this is where I note that the Guentzel pick wasn't very popular on these boards at the time it was made, for example, while people here liked the Esposito pick, again, at the time it was made.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think some folks had their favorites at the Guentzel selection- maybe Bjorkstrand?- but I think people warmed up to the pick pretty quickly as I recall. Be interesting to find the original thread. Even purely on paper it was a good pick, he had a great draft year and mostly fell because of his size / weight.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Mock Draft Pens Choices

DraftSite 23rd Cam YorkD USNTDP (USHL)5'11170 18.3 yrs oldCommitted to Boston College
MyNHLdraft 23rd Bobby BrinkC Sioux City (USHL)5'10 165 17.8 yrs oldCommitted to Denver
Fansided 24th Raphaël LavoieC Halifax (QMJHL)6'4192 18.6 yrs old
Sporting News 19th Ryan Suzuki C Barrie (OHL)6'0172 17.9 yrs old
Craig Button TSN 17th Cam York
BleacherReport 23rdPhilip TomasinoC Niagara IceDogs (OHL) 6'0181 17.8 yrs old
Tankathon 22ndMatthew RobertsonDEdmonton (WHL)6'3196 18.1 yrs old
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Cam York or Bobby Brink please. Don’t think I’ve watched Tomasino and I don’t like Lavoie & Robertson in particular.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Björnfot translates to "bear foot". Speaking of names. Is it just me, or does this draft have a LOT of epic names? :)
Pretty close to BigFoot if you ask me. :laugh:

Mock Draft Pens Choices

DraftSite 23rd Cam YorkD USNTDP (USHL)5'11170 18.3 yrs oldCommitted to Boston College
MyNHLdraft 23rd Bobby BrinkC Sioux City (USHL)5'10 165 17.8 yrs oldCommitted to Denver
Fansided 24th Raphaël LavoieC Halifax (QMJHL)6'4192 18.6 yrs old
Sporting News 19th Ryan Suzuki C Barrie (OHL)6'0172 17.9 yrs old
Craig Button TSN 17th Cam York
BleacherReport 23rdPhilip TomasinoC Niagara IceDogs (OHL) 6'0181 17.8 yrs old
Tankathon 22ndMatthew RobertsonDEdmonton (WHL)6'3196 18.1 yrs old
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
From that list: I don't know much about any of them but if Lavoie keeps creeping up like someone said here he could be a good pick, big center, nice. I mean, if we're really going bigger/tougher...

For our needs tho i'd go for one of those 2D but in the end, it's usually BPA.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I want them to swinging for the fence. no safe picks. :nod: whoever has the highest up side....then you can weed out the risker players left.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad