HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He literally took himself out of draft because he wasn’t going to be drafted. Only MB was the only GM who didn’t listen

He took himself out of the draft as gms were not drafting him but MB ignored that and took him
MB was NOT the only GM. It is widely known there were GM's who would have taken him in the 2nd round.

False , blatant false, not all fans turn a blind eye, same way most Gm’s don’t in most sports especially depending on the state and or nightmare the team could face in a certain state
This is garbage. Many fans don't turn a blind eye. Most GM's and teams do and would only hesitiate if they were afraid of repercussions form the league office.
While teams passed on him at the draft most won't care now as the league has green lighted him.

Last edited:

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
MB was NOT the only GM. It is widely known there were GM's who would have taken him in the 2nd round.

This is garbage. Many fans don't turn a blind eye. Most GM's and teams do and would only hesitiate if they were afraid of repercussions form the league office.
While teams passed on him at the draft most won't care now as the eague has green lighted him.
Well you seem to be one of the many fans who do.

It’s wrong to say many teams do. Some or a few teams do

While teams passed on him at the draft most won't care now as the league has green lighted him.
I can guarantee you teams in the Us knowing the public relations nightmare and political nightmare they would face will not want him. There are Canadians teams for the same reason who won’t take that ridk

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
False , blatant false, not all fans turn a blind eye, same way most Gm’s don’t in most sports especially depending on the state and or nightmare the team could face in a certain state

I was talking about GMs around the league. Of course some Karens amongst fans care about his past.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
What you said is blatantly false and is bias fan thinking. Some gm or majority of gm’s absolutely do care.
Based on what ? sources ?

How can you accuse someone of blatantly false thinking or bias fan thinking ? I could say the same to you because we don't have a clue about what the GM's are thinking about Mailloux. Quote us just 5 GM's names that have said publicly they don't want Mailloux because of his past behaviour ?

In MY OPINION, all the GM's are there to win and history shows us that they have tolerated things a lot worst than what Mailloux did at 17 years old, to win and keep their job. Mailloux have done a lot to understand how bad was his behaviour, to change his approach and to understand the meaning of the word respect.

In my opinion , again, he wasn't the first and won't be the last to disrespect a sexual partner ; we have read a lot in the past, about the infamous " hockey culture " .

Reactions: Pat Riot

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Well you seem to be one of the many fans who do.

It’s wrong to say many teams do. Some or a few teams do

I can guarantee you teams in the Us knowing the public relations nightmare and political nightmare they would face will not want him. There are Canadians teams for the same reason who won’t take that ridk
Again, you accuse someone else to do what you exactly do yourself . It's your opinion about this, not the truth " you can guarantee"

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Does anybody know what’s the lowest possible Jets pick we can get with how the playoffs have been shaping up so far?
23th is the lowest rank possible but that doesn't look likely now.

With either Caroline or NYR looking to make the semis, 24th is the best we can hope.
Dallas, Vancouver and Florida have to all be eliminated before the 3rd round for that to happen. Winnipeg too, obviously.
Dallas is a good possibility. I think Vancouver too.

25th is a good probability at this time.

Reactions: c3z4r

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He literally took himself out of draft because he wasn’t going to be drafted. Only MB was the only GM who didn’t listen

He took himself out of the draft as gms were not drafting him but MB ignored that and took him
You /we have no clue about what the other gm's wanted to do, but It has been said by the Habs scouting team that they knew at the time that few teams were to select him in the second rounds. Your bias is blatant because you don't know what they were thinking, but you still pretend to do.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
lol people Anaheim isn’t trading zegras for Mailloux one for one. Way overvalue a player who doesn’t have much stock around the league due to his past. Then undervalue player like zegras. It would cost a 1st to move Josh Anderson
It's possible neither team wants to do Mailloux for Zegras. He's our top offensive RD propsect, and Anaheim probably rightly values him more than the critics on this board do.

But no way would I want to give up a first rounder to move Anderson, even if that is what it would take right now. Ride it out and hopefully he pulls an Armia.

23th is the lowest rank possible but that doesn't look likely now.

With either Caroline or NYR looking to make the semis, 24th is the best we can hope.
Dallas, Vancouver and Florida have to all be eliminated before the 3rd round for that to happen. Winnipeg too, obviously.
Dallas is a good possibility. I think Vancouver too.

25th is a good probability at this time.
Yeah and so is 29th to 32nd, LOL.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
No, I am talking about guys like Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, etc that could have been used to shore up Carey Price's prime years but were held until they busted.

The logic is the D is already pretty full, extremely young, and there are guys who will hold waiver ineligibility much longer than Mailloux in the system and don't have his poor defending in their weaknesses. Trading Mailloux for an equal forward prospect or in a package for a top 6 forward would be a great move. I don't mean trade him for a pick.

Barron losing his waiver ineligibility takes away his trade value. Mailloux doesn't have the defensive game to be more than a bottom pairing guy at ES in the NHL, and his puck skills are behind Hutson long term so he won't even get first PP time. It would be smart to get peak value, but I'm sure we'll try the magic bean route for the hundredth time.

It's one of those things where if you start with six #1 D and two play on the bottom pairing, those two are going to regress, you're not going to win 82 games because you have 6 #1 D. Ice time is essential for both development and continuous success, and we don't have enough of it to share; a guy like Kovacevic is perfect as a #6/7. Just look at a guy like Nate Schmidt who has literally played everywhere in the lineup in his career and performed basically as expected in each role. He was on the top pairing of a team that went to the finals and then the conference finals. Before that he was a bottom pairing guy and after that he was a bottom pairing guy. When he got put in a top 4 role after that he produced like a top 4 dman. The teams that had this top pairing guy on the bottom pairing did not have massive success or embarrassment of riches.

That's just my opinion from watching hockey though. I don't think the idea of hording prospects or keeping "name value" guys in every single roster spot works out in real life. Mailloux's obviously got higher upside than a Konyshukov or an Engstrom, but they also have very little trade value and play safer games that would project well even in a bottom pairing role.
Wall of text. And everyone assuming Hutson will make the nhl are making a big assumption. He is extremely small and not fast. Maillioux is big. Good skater. Bomb shot. You don’t trade that.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Amazingly enough, upgrading the talent on your team pushes guys down the lineup. Ideally, you have two first lines, one second line and one third line.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Zegras/Necas
Newhook-Monahan-Armia
Dvorak/Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
spare: Anderson/Dvorak
What an awful team.

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Wall of text. And everyone assuming Hutson will make the nhl are making a big assumption. He is extremely small and not fast. Maillioux is big. Good skater. Bomb shot. You don’t trade that.

Myers v. Hughes

I know who I'd prefer :naughty:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Some are happy to hear this, but many others hear the very same words and they think this means that every player Hugo target must be in the mold of Gordie Howe.

On top of that, the modern-day Howe must be willing to play for below market value, and be the right age. Having to be the right age excludes anyone on a bridge contract, because if they are as good as we want them to be, they will ask for more money than we think they are worth (now). It also excludes anyone over 25 who needs a long-term deal because that would put them in the old-age home by the end of their deal, just when we might start to compete (i.e. 2031 or 2032)

The opposing GMs must be willing to trade these proven, complete players for draft picks no better than late first rounders (never again overpay like we did for an incomplete player like Newhook). They must also salivate for those youngsters whom we have decided will probably never be core players for us, and thus we are willing to include. If that does not satisfy the GM on the other side of the table, Montreal is only allowed to sweeten the deal with players 30 and up whose contracts we all here agree are too rich and too long.

Oh, one more thing. These studs coming in must not improve the team enough to cause us to draft worse than top-5, until and unless we are ready with a serious shot at winning the Cup, which must apparently be overnight at some point.
A wall of text essentially to criticise other posters. Yawn. Thanks.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Reinbacher is a no go. The other package isn’t enough unless they see Mailloux as a potential 1st pair RHD.
Verbeek apparently let it be known this week he’s looking to add 2 big + physical elements:

A young top-4 RDman + RW

Strubble, Dvorak, WPG 1st... That's a better fit for both sides imo, though if Verbeek preferred Anderson/Mailloux, I'd pull that trigger.

I think some around here underestimate the value of KH/MSL knowing Zegras very well. The talent and competitiveness to be an elite top 6 player is evident... If they are confident that he's coachable and hungry to become the best player he can be, there's no reason to doubt it.
As just posted:

Verbeek apparently let it be known to is week he wants to add a big + physical young top-4 RDman and RW

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Verbeek apparently let it be known this week he’s looking to add 2 big + physical elements:

A young top-4 RDman + RW

As just posted:

Verbeek apparently let it be known to is week he wants to add a big + physical young top-4 RDman and RW

Key word there is add
Trading zegras to address that creates another hole

We can find a winger without moving zegras and we can go after pesce/Roy/demelo in free agency

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Key word there is add
Trading zegras to address that creates another hole

We can find a winger without moving zegras and we can go after pesce/Roy/demelo in free agency
Based on Basu / Godin podcast looking at Verbeek’s work since taking over as GM - one can’t help but notice, he’s looking to build a team w little ball of hate type players not Rollerina’s.

Zegras fits the latter vs former in Verbeek’s eyes

Reactions: Miller Time

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It's possible neither team wants to do Mailloux for Zegras. He<s our top offensive RD propsect, anmd Anaheim probabl;y righjtl;y val;ues him more than the critics on this board do.

But no way would I want to give up a first rounder to move Anderson, even if that is what it would take right now. Ride it out andf hopefully he pulls an Armia.

Yeah and so is 29th to 32nd, LOL.
Are you saying that it's likely that Winnipeg come back and win against Colorado and then beat Vegas or Dallas?

I agree with you about Anderson.
I makes no sense for the Habs to give up assets to get rid of him at this point. They have plenty of cap space.
That was a brain cramp on the part of Basu.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Based on Basu / Godin podcast looking at Verbeek’s work since taking over as GM - one can’t help but notice, he’s looking to build a team w little ball of hate type players not Rollerina’s.

Zegras fits the latter va former in Verbeek’s eyes
I think he’s trying to build a winning team…. I think zegras is key to that. I think the goal next year is to run 3 lines with the ability to score.

He speaks highly on zegras pretty often, he just wants zegras to be the top player he can be…. Nothing wrong with trying to push a player to be his best self.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think he’s trying to build a winning team…. I think zegras is key to that. I think the goal next year is to run 3 lines with the ability to score.

He speaks highly on zegras pretty often, he just wants zegras to be the top player he can be…. Nothing wrong with trying to push a player to be his best self.
I don’t whatsoever doubt Verbeek is trying to build a winner… agreed. However….

Verbeek apparently told his young players at exit meetings he expects them to train at Barwis in Florida for the offseason at their own expense - $20K per week + living expenses

Zegras’s agent apparently let it be known there’s not much interest in his client doing so

I’d be shocked if Zegras isn’t dealt this offseason, like Subban vs MB/Therrien, Zegras just isn’t a philosophical fit with Verbeek / Cronin who aren’t Gen Z hockey whisperers like MSL but old school Uncle Lou disciples

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Verbeek apparently told his young players at exit meetings he expects them to train at Barwis in Florida for the offseason at their own expense - $20K per week + living expenses

Zegras’s agent apparently let it be known there’s not much interest in his client doing so

I’d be shocked if Zegras isn’t dealt this offseason, like Subban vs MB/Therrien, Zegras just isn’t a philosophical fit with Verbeek / Cronin who aren’t Gen Z hockey whisperers like MSL but old school Uncle Lou disciples

We’ll see, I think people play into that not his style idea

If that’s the case why arnt there talks about terry fowler luneau zellweger hell even carlsson?

Everything I’ve seen from PV, seems like be just wants to push zegras to his full potential

I also don’t think PV watched the last few weeks of the season, and think ya we don’t need this guy.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don’t whatsoever doubt Verbeek is trying to build a winner… agreed. However….

I am surprised all the players didn't tell Verbeek to get lost. If he wants them to train there its up to him to pay for everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankenheimer

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Basu had heard earlier in the season the Habs tried to get Campbell involve in a deal from the Oilers for more sweeteners.

They postulate that Montreal might try, or be willing to do that with Merzlikins as a sweetener to get Johnson.

Habs also looker around at Cal Peterson for Laval
It's a bit weird that Basu waited that long to get that information on Campbell and Peterson out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad