Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I like Connor McMichael if he is around at #23..

Though im not opposed to trading the 1st+ for a Dman

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not a fan of trading up. I went back and put every #1-30 pick player into a category from the last 10 drafts

Really nothing changes from #11-#26

I'd rather have a late 1st and another 2nd than trade a 2nd and a 1st to move up a few spots.

Reactions: The Old Master

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Not a fan of trading up. I went back and put every #1-30 pick player into a category from the last 10 drafts

Really nothing changes from #11-#26

I'd rather have a late 1st and another 2nd than trade a 2nd and a 1st to move up a few spots.
ya! the key is how far we would move up and/or who's there. imo

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
whats the kncok on Kaliyev? looks to have put up good numbers that should warrant a higher ranking if not for some kind of problem in his game.
102 points. more than 20 points better than the next best on his team.
doesn't look like he's trying hard …. lets the game come to him..... still will be gone by the time we pick. imo

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
whats the kncok on Kaliyev? looks to have put up good numbers that should warrant a higher ranking if not for some kind of problem in his game.
102 points. more than 20 points better than the next best on his team.
Skating.

Reactions: deakka

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If the Pens ever traded up to say Florida and #13 they better be taking Lavoie.
not a fan.... takes too long to get up to speed.
edit; the question with him is...is it because he's so much bigger and stronger than the guy's he's playing with? (and he wont be in the nhl) or is it his skill? i'm not sure so I like others more.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pick #21 secured now. What we're lookin' at:

Hughes
Kakko
Cozens
Podkolzin
Byram
Dach
Turcotte
Newhook
Krebs
Boldy
Broberg
Zegras
Caulfield
#14 - York
#15 - Soderstrom
#16 - Harley
#17 - Kaliyev
#18 - Suzuki
#19 - Lavoie
#20 - Seider or Heinola
#21 -

I'd say anything from #14 + Bjornfot, Robertson, Rees, Brink, Poulin, Pelletier, Dorofeyev, Tomasino, McMicheal, Thomson, Tracey, Leason, Hoglander, Beecher, Grewe, Warren, Honka, Spiridonov, Legare, Kolyachonok, Nikolayev, Mastrosimone.
is a good guess at what we can/could get atm.

Think a good bet is some of these D in my #20 and below group will be selected in the top 20 somewhere so forwards like Kaliyev, Suzuki, Lavoie will get bumped down.

What would really be nice is a team in the top 20 taking Spencer Knight(G).

If any D out of York, Soderstrom, Harley, Heinola and maybe Seider, Bjornfot are there @ #21 tho, you pick 'em.
And on the flip, if any F out of Caufield and up are there, you pick 'em.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't call it skating...he's one of those that just doesn't look like he want to...but other than that it looks fine. and the more I try to explain it the worse it gets so i'll just stop now.
Yeah I'm of the opinion that even if his skating were bad he has the skill to overcome it.. but I don't think it's a huge negative.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kinda warming up to Lavoie a bit. At least wouldn't be bummed by the pick.

Unless we move up or acquire another pick I don't think any of the bigger name guys are going to be available where we're at, like Newhook, York, Caufield, Broberg, all the guys that have not only been ranked top 15 fairly consistently but also ended the year on a high note at the U18s.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Pick #21 secured now. What we're lookin' at:

Hughes
Kakko
Cozens
Podkolzin
Byram
Dach
Turcotte
Newhook
Krebs
Boldy
Broberg
Zegras
Caulfield
#14 - York
#15 - Soderstrom
#16 - Harley
#17 - Kaliyev
#18 - Suzuki
#19 - Lavoie
#20 - Seider or Heinola
#21 -

I'd say anything from #14 + Bjornfot, Robertson, Rees, Brink, Poulin, Pelletier, Dorofeyev, Tomasino, McMicheal, Thomson, Tracey, Leason, Hoglander, Beecher, Grewe, Warren, Honka, Spiridonov, Legare, Kolyachonok, Nikolayev, Mastrosimone.
is a good guess at what we can/could get atm.

Think a good bet is some of these D in my #20 and below group will be selected in the top 20 somewhere so forwards like Kaliyev, Suzuki, Lavoie will get bumped down.

What would really be nice is a team in the top 20 taking Spencer Knight(G).

If any D out of York, Soderstrom, Harley, Heinola and maybe Seider, Bjornfot are there @ #21 tho, you pick 'em.
And on the flip, if any F out of Caufield and up are there, you pick 'em.
at one time I thought Caulfield could slip to us because of his size, but he seems to be still rising. I have my favorites, but I could not complain about any of them...….. well I still could :)
I would name them but it seems that it would guarantee that we would never pick them. so I'm trying something deferent this yr.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Haven't watched Lavoie play, but it'd be hard to quibble with getting a 6'4" winger late in the 1st who scored 32 goals in 62 regular season games and 19 goals in 19 playoff games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Given some of the rumours that are out there, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with another, higher 1st rounder this draft.

For better or worse.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Haven't watched Lavoie play, but it'd be hard to quibble with getting a 6'4" winger late in the 1st who scored 32 goals in 62 regular season games and 19 goals in 19 playoff games.

Including 5 ENG in the playoffs, so he would definitely fill a need for us!

Guys with knack for scoring goals like him are hard to come by. Would be worth the gamble in my view, despite the negatives to his game.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kinda warming up to Lavoie a bit. At least wouldn't be bummed by the pick.

Unless we move up or acquire another pick I don't think any of the bigger name guys are going to be available where we're at, like Newhook, York, Caufield, Broberg, all the guys that have not only been ranked top 15 fairly consistently but also ended the year on a high note at the U18s.

Really depends how the draft goes in terms of a heavy forward or heavy D selection in the first 20.
I THINK it will be heavily on the forward side so if a Heinola, York, Bjornfot, Harley are there @ 21 vs the Suzuki's, Lavoie's, Kaliyev's, you take one of 'em and run, imo.
But if anything from Caufield and up on my mock is available and only a Bjornfot or Robertson down(on D) is available to me at selection time, i definitely select a F.

Reactions: Jacob

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Really depends how the draft goes in terms of a heavy forward or heavy D selection in the first 20.
I THINK it will be heavily on the forward side so if a Heinola, York, Bjornfot, Harley are there @ 21 vs the Suzuki's, Lavoie's, Kaliyev's, you take one of 'em and run, imo.
But if anything from Caufield and up on my mock is available and only a Bjornfot or Robertson down(on D) is available to me at selection time, i definitely select a F.
at the spot we are drafting everyone will have some holes...it's just can/how likely will those holes be corrected. or if they need to be corrected. ….but there is a lot of up side there.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I see some people have Ryder Donavan in the top 100. Hope the Pens can get him in the 3rd.

6'4" and a great skater. Put up good point totals this year playing for a defensive coach.

Reactions: Trade

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I haven't been following the prospects for this draft nearly as much as in other years, so I have no idea who anyone outside of Hughes or Kakko are. :laugh:

That being said, with a prospect pool as absolutely, embarrassingly empty as ours, you have to go BPA regardless of position, excluding goalie. Wingers? Sure. Centers? Absolutely. Blueliners? You bet your ass. :laugh:

I really, really like the idea of trying to get another 1st rounder somehow, probably by moving Phil. If you can get two firsts, you not only stand to seriously strengthen the prospect pool, you can use one (or both) to land significant pieces to fix this mess of a roster.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Including 5 ENG in the playoffs, so he would definitely fill a need for us!

Guys with knack for scoring goals like him are hard to come by. Would be worth the gamble in my view, despite the negatives to his game.

Here's my view on ENG...sure they may not bear as much weight as say an even strength goal, but getting ENGs means that you're a trust player late in the game when the score is close and the other team is pressing. Not only that, but to nab 5 means you're damn good at that job. I'm okay with 5 of the 19 being ENGs.

Ultimate fantasy scenario:

Kessel for 14ov + Fischer
Malkin, Simon for Trocheck, Tippet, 1st

We have 13ov, 14ov, and roughly 19ov.

I think we could snag Broberg, Lavoie, and Kaliyev. Those would be huge pieces for us in 3-4 years.

Jake-Crosby-Tippett
McCann-Trocheck-Kaliyev
Rust-Bjugstad-Fischer
ZAR-Bleuger-Lavoie (who develops and replaces Bjugstad)

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Broberg
Addison-XXXX

That's a young, skilled, and mobile team. Addison is a RD so perhaps in the "idealist of worlds", maybe he slots into Letangs spot and can run something like Riikola-Letang as a 2nd 2nd pairing.

In 5 years when Sid has regressed:

Jake-Lavoie-Tippett
McCann-Trocheck-Kaliyev
Rust-Crosby-Fischer
ZAR-Blueger-Hållander

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
not a fan.... takes too long to get up to speed.
edit; the question with him is...is it because he's so much bigger and stronger than the guy's he's playing with? (and he wont be in the nhl) or is it his skill? i'm not sure so I like others more.

Oh, I have no issues with that, but how can a guy like that not be an NHL regular. The reach is a big part of it if you watch him, he protects the puck well and he can come away with the puck. There really isn't a lot of wasted movement even if the play dies he's where he needs to be, and when the puck does make it through he's pretty strong on it. Having the hockey sense to know where to be makes up for any negatives in speed. The skill is evident. On a team lacking Center depth he shouldn't see AHL ice, but you could say here with the abundance of C's he could.

At worst I see him as a future C moving forward because guys like Bjugstad are being paid a lot and that's a position I think Lavoie can fill on the cheap. He just keeps going in their playoffs. PPG and a GPG at that.

Reactions: The Old Master

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I'm still dead set on Brink. I see a lot of Oshie in his game and just think that aging Crosby and Malkin will need wingers like him.

Where are the Pens settling in rounds 2 3 and 4? Do they have a 2nd rounder this year?

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
I'm still dead set on Brink. I see a lot of Oshie in his game and just think that aging Crosby and Malkin will need wingers like him.

Where are the Pens settling in rounds 2 3 and 4? Do they have a 2nd rounder this year?
Pens have a 1st, Buff 4th, 5th. 7th, and LV 7th. They also don't have a 2nd next year as well due to MAF expansion trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad