Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Cozens trade Nyquist for a 2nd first, move up if needed get Byram then Lafreniere next year

Rebuild complete

Lafs Larkin Mantha
Rasmussen Cozens Zadina
Berggren Veleno AA

Chow Byram
Hronek Dekeyser
Mcissac xxx
If only it was as easy as that.

Reactions: Killerjas

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This might be a historic draft for the WHL, I think I was reading somewhere they could have as many as 10 players drafted in the first round

I can definitely see 8 or 9.

Cozens, Dach, Byram, Krebs, Robertson, Foote, Korczak, Thomson, Zaitsev could maybe get you 9.

Then this Luke Toporowski kid is interesting. Didn’t realize there was a quote out there from Scotty Bowman saying he was one of the best prospects he’s seen back when he was 16. Remember thinking he was a damn impressive skater for USA at the Hlinka.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So it seems increasingly likely that the Wings aren't going to be in the absolute basement this season. What players should we look at in the 6-12 range? Do you think his injuries might cause Turcotte to fall that far?

As an aside, I watched a shift-by-shift of Ryan Suzuki and came away super unimpressed. I know it's not a big enough sample size to conclude anything, but he looked like he really lacks the athletic element of the game right now. He wasn't skating hard or even particularly fast, and wasn't really dangerous on either side of the puck. Wasn't that the knock on his brother, as well?

Obviously he has a ton of points, so he's doing something right. Maybe it's just league bias, too, because I've been watching more NTDP games, and they play so fast. They play faster than the college teams they face, usually. It makes CHL games look slow and sloppy.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So it seems increasingly likely that the Wings aren't going to be in the absolute basement this season. What players should we look at in the 6-12 range? Do you think his injuries might cause Turcotte to fall that far?

As an aside, I watched a shift-by-shift of Ryan Suzuki and came away super unimpressed. I know it's not a big enough sample size to conclude anything, but he looked like he really lacks the athletic element of the game right now. He wasn't skating hard or even particularly fast, and wasn't really dangerous on either side of the puck. Wasn't that the knock on his brother, as well?

Obviously he has a ton of points, so he's doing something right. Maybe it's just league bias, too, because I've been watching more NTDP games, and they play so fast. They play faster than the college teams they face, usually. It makes CHL games look slow and sloppy.

Too early to rule out drafting top 5.

Believe our record dropped a lot after the TDL last year, and that may happen again this year.

Turcotte would be the definition of a silver lining to me, so that would be my preferred choice. I also like Byram, Suzuki, and Krebs in that range. Turcotte and Suzuki would be my favorites out of that bunch. Both have very high hockey IQ and skill. Disagree with your take on Suzuki, he is a good skater, better than his brother in that regard (bigger as well).

Zegras isn’t there now, but I expect him to end up in this range, and I also like him a lot. Newhook is in this range and he’s a wildcard to me, I’ve never
seen him play being in the AJHL.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

If we’re picking outside the top 4, I have my eyes locked on Bowen Byram and Vasili Podkolzin. I think Podkolzin is the most talented forward I’ve seen in a really long time, and his playmaking skill set isn’t one we have in our system.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
If you look at who we have beat over this stretch it's a crummy bunch of teams. Only like two of them made the playoffs last year (Columbus and Jersey). Probably too early to assume we're going to be a lot better than expected. This team is about to start a rough stretch, seven of the next nine games are against playoff teams from last year.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
have a feeling Drw will be drafting between 10-15

Which is why they need to move players like Howard and Nyquist sooner than later.

How soon we all forget that Detroit was in a playoff spot this time last Thanksgiving. :laugh:

I think they won 4 of the remaining 21 games or something like that coming down the stretch...and they still only finished 6th (due to the lottery).

They need a top 4 pick this season or it will be a complete waste, IMO.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Way too soon to be banking on our standing. I think we're on borrowed time to me.
  • If Howard were to continue playing this well and last a full season, it'd be the first time he's done both in 9 years - since Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were all in their prime.
  • We have old guys playing key roles that we shouldn't anticipate lasting a full season and/or playing at a high level throughout (Green, Howard) and young guys doing the same who may not have the stamina/physiology yet to maintain this level of play on a full NHL season (namely Cholowski).
  • You have Larkin playing 21+ minutes a night, about 19 of which are spent at ES and on the PK. Query whether he can sustain these heroics.
  • Our November schedule has been a joke.
  • We're still sufficiently flying under the radar, IMO. We'll see where we stand if/when we make enough noise that the hockey world takes notice and starts respecting us.
  • Even if we're close-ish to a wild card spot at the TDL, at the very least I expect Nyquist to be traded. This is his last shot at a big FA contract so I fully expect him to price himself out of Detroit in any preliminary negotiations.
  • We're currently running at just about max capacity right now. Just about everyone is playing as expected or better. That will not last all season.

Also, this is a thought for another day, but if Green stays healthy-ish and keeps this play up, I wouldn't be shocked to see Chia come calling. He likes his vets and just told the world that his defenseman suck at moving the puck. Would Green waive NTC to go play with McJesus and play for a team that sits less than 3 hours outside his hometown and where he spends his summers? Something to think about if Edmonton starts to right the ship.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
have a feeling Drw will be drafting between 10-15

I don't think so. Right now there is a logjam throughout the standings, and there is barely any separation whatsoever. Crazy how we are only 4 points out of 10th place, but at the same time we are only 3 points up on 30th.

It's a long year, and I still think as the season plays out, the Wings will end up in the bottom 5. They have been "over-achieving" recently, and have been winning more games than they should be. They are playing at a high compete level, so I am just enjoying the good hockey at the moment, but it's a long year, and I still see us as a bottom 5 team.

Reactions: turkleton85

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I don't think so. Right now there is a logjam throughout the standings, and there is barely any separation whatsoever. Crazy how we are only 4 points out of 10th place, but at the same time we are only 3 points up on 30th.

It's a long year, and I still think as the season plays out, the Wings will end up in the bottom 5. They have been "over-achieving" recently, and have been winning more games than they should be. They are playing at a high compete level, so I am just enjoying the good hockey at the moment, but it's a long year, and I still see us as a bottom 5 team.

agree to disagree..maybe it is my drw goggles but this is best drw team ive seen since datsyuk left. they have been outplaying teams.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
agree to disagree..maybe it is my drw goggles but this is best drw team ive seen since datsyuk left. they have outplaying teams.

They have been fun to watch for sure, and the compete level right now seems to be higher than anything we've seen over the past 5 or 6 years. We are falling behind by 2 goals far too often though, and eventually this comeback trend is going to end. They are showing up to play, and probably catching some teams off guard, but in the end, we just aren't good enough to keep winning like this. I guess we will see.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
They have been fun to watch for sure, and the compete level right now seems to be higher than anything we've seen over the past 5 or 6 years. We are falling behind by 2 goals far too often though, and eventually this comeback trend is going to end. They are showing up to play, and probably catching some teams off guard, but in the end, we just aren't good enough to keep winning like this. I guess we will see.

maybe its time to give blashhill some props. I cant believe i'm writing this

the wings have outplayed their opponents in a few periods, but at the same time got outplayed pretty badly at times. It's fun watching them, and its awesome to see larkin and AA taking steps forward. If we end up closer to the playoffs then to the bottom of the league, i'm happy because it means our younger players are actually not bad (and we now have some serious talent in our system that'll come up in the next years).

If we end up near the bottom, we can add one of the top available players upcoming draft, which is not bad either

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There is a lot of hockey left to be played and water always finds its level. Smart money would still back a bottom five finish. I am very pleased with how we have played and competed outside of a four game stretch. I am also very pleased with the development shown by the youngsters. That in and of itself, however, does not make us a very good team. It is really hard to outperform your talent over a full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln