Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm personally hoping for Dach at this point. I think we could really use that playmaking C to complement Larkin.

Veleno is very much a playmaking C , but yeah. His speed along with Larkin down the middle could make up for someone like Dach who probably won’t ever be a burner.

But Dach is on the rise big time, so I don’t know if we will have a shot. We will see how things play out.

There are a bunch of centers after Hughes we can look at: Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Krebs, Suzuki, Newhook, Zegras

They all bring something nice to the table. As long as we don’t go winger or defenseman, I like our options among the centers.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Veleno is very much a playmaking C , but yeah. His speed along with Larkin down the middle could make up for someone like Dach who probably won’t ever be a burner.

But Dach is on the rise big time, so I don’t know if we will have a shot. We will see how things play out.

There are a bunch of centers after Hughes we can look at: Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Krebs, Suzuki, Newhook, Zegras

They all bring something nice to the table. As long as we don’t go winger or defenseman, I like our options among the centers.
Yeah there'll be a lot of good center options. Precisely because of Veleno I wonder how the D options will end up shaking out. Larkin-Veleno-Ras could be good enough for centers if the rest of our team is good enough. Do you think Byram could be worth passing up someone like Cozens for?

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yeah there'll be a lot of good center options. Precisely because of Veleno I wonder how the D options will end up shaking out. Larkin-Veleno-Ras could be good enough for centers if the rest of our team is good enough. Do you think Byram could be worth passing up someone like Cozens for?
If Cozens or Dach is available we must take them, most likely Cozens. Larkin-Cozens-Veleno would make us incredible strong down the middle helping out D a lot. Hopefully we can swindle a 2nd 1st rounder and pick up a Moritz Seider or Kaedan Korczak, who'd pair really nicely with cholowski imo.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I would not take him over Cozens or Dach. I actually like Byram, but the centers are just too good.

He’s somewhere towards the back of the top 10 for me. Would be a tough call between him Krebs, Zegras, or Suzuki.

But guys like Cozens, Dach, and Turcotte are easily ahead for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I think Byram is being sold a bit short because there are so many good center options (or players with at least some potential to play center at the professional level). He is a super smart, mature player with plus mobility that a ton of teams would love to have. That being said, I agree with the critics who question whether he will be an elite offensive defensemen (which is fair to demand if you are taking a defensemen as high as I expect us to pick).

I think center/center-ish is clearly the strength of this class in the first half of the first round, and we certainly could use a skilled center.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Byram is being sold a bit short because there are so many good center options (or players with at least some potential to play center at the professional level). He is a super smart, mature player with plus mobility that a ton of teams would love to have. That being said, I agree with the critics who question whether he will be an elite offensive defensemen (which is fair to demand if you are taking a defensemen as high as I expect us to pick).

I think center/center-ish is clearly the strength of this class in the first half of the first round, and we certainly could use a skilled center.
Or Detroit could package some of its upcoming picks to take a great center in the top 5-7, and then move up to take Byram in the 10-12 range (assuming he falls to that level).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the Wings stay at #13..hopefully Krebs drops to them.

I continue to be torn on him.

Great skater, but not sure about how his offensive game translates. Would be a pain to play against with Larkin, Veleno, and Krebs down the middle from a speed standpoint t at least.

I am hoping Turcotte slips to us because of the injury, personally. Looking like getting Dach is becoming a pipe dream.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Dach is looking like a pipe dream but I think about him in the winged wheel all the time. Honestly I think about (and watch) Dach more than Hughes. I love the way this kid plays hockey.

I did my first tankathon sim randomly today
Rangers
Canucks
Wings

I got really excited for it, even though it was meaningless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I continue to be torn on him.

Great skater, but not sure about how his offensive game translates. Would be a pain to play against with Larkin, Veleno, and Krebs down the middle from a speed standpoint t at least.

I am hoping Turcotte slips to us because of the injury, personally. Looking like getting Dach is becoming a pipe dream.

I am curious, do you see Krebs as more of a winger at the NHL level Frk It?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Still plenty of time, but I wonder what the latest views on Rasmussen are, in terms of whether he still ends up at center, or if he's better suited to the wing. And if Detroit drafts in the 8-10 range, whether that has an impact on center vs defense.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I'm curious how you all think Veleno stacks up to the centers of this year's center crop. It's early but he's looking closer to having Larkin level potential.

Larkin - Dach - Veleno would be nice down the middle.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am curious, do you see Krebs as more of a winger at the NHL level Frk It?

He’s played there exclusively this year, and I’ve heard from a lot of people it’s been a natural fit so far.

Always a little skeptical on switching to center this late in the game, but he skates so well it might work out. He’s also pretty smart and good in all 3 zones.

It will probably depend on how much stronger he is able to get if he sticks there or not, and that’s always hard to guess.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Check out this German kid called "Moritz Seider" (guy in the white). Absolute beast of a defender who is playing on the highest German hockey level as a 17 year old. He is projected to go mid 1st or late 1st round. This guy is huge and gets physical. He also has a decent shot! He is flying under the rader. Definitely a raw project.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm curious how you all think Veleno stacks up to the centers of this year's center crop. It's early but he's looking closer to having Larkin level potential.

Larkin - Dach - Veleno would be nice down the middle.

I think between Larkin, Veleno, and Rasmussen we will be incredibly strong at the 2C and 3C slot for the foreseeable future.

If we want to be a contender, we should probably shoot for the center with the most offensive upside who can slot as a 1C. To me that would be Dach or Cozens, and Suzuki is up there for me also.

I also would not be surprised if the team thinks Larkin is the 1C they want, and one of Veleno/Rasmussen will be the 2C. Might make them open to taking a winger if they think they are clear BPA. Possibly someone like Podkolzin or Boldy. I would not go this route, but I do think Boldy is probably pretty close to a perfect partner for Larkin.

Reactions: Orthodox Caveman

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Check out this German kid called "Moritz Seider" (guy in the white). Absolute beast of a defender who is playing on the highest German hockey level as a 17 year old. He is projected to go mid 1st or late 1st round. This guy is huge and gets physical. He also has a decent shot! He is flying under the rader. Definitely a raw project.

If the Wings can trade for another first...go for it then!

Reactions: wingerdinger
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I also would not be surprised if the team thinks Larkin is the 1C they want, and one of Veleno/Rasmussen will be the 2C. Might make them open to taking a winger if they think they are clear BPA. Possibly someone like Podkolzin or Boldy. I would not go this route, but I do think Boldy is probably pretty close to a perfect partner for Larkin.
Depending on how you view Svechnikov and Smith, wing might actually be a need now. I could see that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He’s played there exclusively this year, and I’ve heard from a lot of people it’s been a natural fit so far.

Always a little skeptical on switching to center this late in the game, but he skates so well it might work out. He’s also pretty smart and good in all 3 zones.

It will probably depend on how much stronger he is able to get if he sticks there or not, and that’s always hard to guess.

His brother is a pretty big kid. I have a hard time imaging that he is done growing. Even if he does not get that large, he will certainly get stronger. When I watch him I see absolutely nothing that suggests he cannot play the center position well (or that he does not play the center position well now). Intelligence + strong skating goes a very long way at center.

With respect to being "new" to the position. There are very few players who exclusively play center for their entire major junior or college careers. The vast majority break in on the wing (especially young players that coaches want to play up the lineup). I could be totally wrong, but I see nothing concrete that says he will need to move to the wing permanently. I guess only time will tell.

Anyways, I see him as a good player who would be more than reasonable after the top three or four. He is, however, going to need some time to get bigger and stronger. He would compliment our system nicely in my opinion.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Depending on how you view Svechnikov and Smith, wing might actually be a need now. I could see that.

I don't think anything depends on those two. Both have been looking like lost causes for a while now, albeit for different reasons, and they both have big red flags when it comes to their speed. Personally, I think its a mistake if you're considering them when developing your draft day gameplan. Thats not say they can't overcome their setbacks and shortcomings and be impact players in one way or another, but they certainly haven't given Detroit any reason to bank on them being anything more than guys found in bulk on the free market.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I could see Seider fallin to our 2nds at ~35-40 (DET+NYI) range.

Its possible of course, but I could just as easily see him being picked 15-25. The defenseman in this draft are looking more and more like a crapshoot - so many defenseman are bouncing around in the rankings and falling in and out of favor. I could see Byram being the consensus #1 in June and then after that? Who knows. Broberg, Soderstrom, Vlasic, York, Honka...Seider? I don't see enough separation there that a strong finish or a scout's preference couldn't push any of those guys (or even some others) to the front of the line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As of right now we are projected to draft 10th.

If things go that way I would prefer we draft one of York, Zegras, or Suzuki.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Of all those centers, I really think I’d like Dach even moreso than Hughes, who may be a bit flashier, but also seems weaker and less likely to stay a center. Dach may put up a few less points, but from the highlights I see, he looks like Getzlaf and having a big guy who can dish it to Zadina would be beautiful and allow Larkin to have his own line.

Rasmussen-Dach-Zadina could be an elite line with size in a few years. A new legion of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->