Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
For sure. And if there's extra ammo, it also creates the possibility of watching for a guy to fall a bit, and packaging some assets to move up a bit and snag him (if the right move is there).

Apart from the development of the kids, I am most interested in the performance of Gus, Howard, Daley, Green, Helm and the NYIs. These are the assets that should most shape our draft-day positioning. Not all will be moved, but hopefully some will.

Reactions: lilidk

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
W
today is Russia vs Canada u20 . Canada has 2 players I like to see Cozens Dylan and Dach Kirby
I watched that game, nobody really wowed me. Connor Dewar impressed me, but he's already drafted. Brett Leason....trying to understand how he went from middle of the road undrafted player to a goal a game player with almost twice the points as 2nd highest scorer on his team. Guess he's getting drafted this time around.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
W

I watched that game, nobody really wowed me. Connor Dewar impressed me, but he's already drafted. Brett Leason....trying to understand how he went from middle of the road undrafted player to a goal a game player with almost twice the points as 2nd highest scorer on his team. Guess he's getting drafted this time around.

Yeah hes sneaking into the middle/early second already this year from what I've read from a lot of people. By seasons end could play himself into a first rounder similar to Tanner Pearson

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
W

I only watched the first game, but thought that Byram was the best of the draft eligible players. It is hard to tell with Dach and Cozens though because they weren't given super large roles.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I only watched the first game, but thought that Byram was the best of the draft eligible players. It is hard to tell with Dach and Cozens though because they weren't given super large roles.
Yeah. It was only one game. Byram looked decent. Dach/Cozens didn't wow me but looked good as well. I am not sure if the second game recorded for me or not, haven't seen it.

I'd easily be happy with 1 of those 3. They round out my top 5 so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, the 3 WHL kids have been my runaway favorites after Hughes and Kakko, and I have a hard time seeing that change much.

If Turcotte can return he could change my mind. I also really like Cam York, can never enough defenseman who are smart and can skate. Zegras is flying under the radar a bit, I wonder if we will see him shoot up the rankings soon.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
For sure. And if there's extra ammo, it also creates the possibility of watching for a guy to fall a bit, and packaging some assets to move up a bit and snag him (if the right move is there).

We have the Islanders 2nd rounder too, so cheer for them to falter. Still can reasonably expect to have 3 picks within the top 50 or so.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, the 3 WHL kids have been my runaway favorites after Hughes and Kakko, and I have a hard time seeing that change much.

If Turcotte can return he could change my mind. I also really like Cam York, can never enough defenseman who are smart and can skate. Zegras is flying under the radar a bit, I wonder if we will see him shoot up the rankings soon.

Krebs, Robertson and Foote are all legit as well. Maybe not top five good, but still very good junior players and NHL prospects. I am with you on Turcotte. He is the single biggest reason I want us to find a way to get aggressive and get back up into the middle of the first round. Anyways, I see the WHL and the NTDP has the two big strengths of this class so far.

Reactions: FunkyColdZadina

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

delete

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Krebs, Robertson and Foote are all legit as well. Maybe not top five good, but still very good junior players and NHL prospects. I am with you on Turcotte. He is the single biggest reason I want us to find a way to get aggressive and get back up into the middle of the first round. Anyways, I see the WHL and the NTDP has the two big strengths of this class so far.

This might be a historic draft for the WHL, I think I was reading somewhere they could have as many as 10 players drafted in the first round

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
This might be a historic draft for the WHL, I think I was reading somewhere they could have as many as 10 players drafted in the first round
Let's hope some of them fall into the second round. One of or both the Kelowna D Thomson/Korczak. 1 if we pick Byram, 2 if Hughes/Kakko/Dach/Cozens.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

These guys were pretty noticeable to me when I was watching Rasmussen and Cholowski. It is a really good year, I cannot think of a better year out there. I mean one of the first ones I had to guess was Sakic and Wesley's year but I don't think they had the depth helping that year.

EDIT: Man I love google:laugh:

NHL Draft History: WHL’s First Round selections – WHL Network

95 looks like a winner when quickly browsing.

82 also had 10 in the top 20 so that is strong.

Last edited:

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
How do you guys feel about Korczak and Seider? Could you see either one of them slipping to us in the 2nd? Do you think either one of them could compliment Cholo?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
How do you guys feel about Korczak and Seider? Could you see either one of them slipping to us in the 2nd? Do you think either one of them could compliment Cholo?
I think Korczak could compliment Cholowski well. He could play a simple game with Cholowski, not strictly stay at home but he wouldn't be leaned on for offense either. He's mostly ranked late first/early second, but only time will tell. Didn't really expect McIsaac in the second round, right?

Reactions: wingerdinger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Logan Barlage is buried on the same team as Cozens, and I’ve heard really good things on the prospect board. Was a high pick and put up crazy numbers in Midget.

He’s playing as the 3C but is almost PPG, and has a nice skill set. RH too. Could be a good option for the late 1st or early 2nd.

As far as defenseman go, I’m hoping Vlasic or Robertson fall to our 2nd pick. Korczak would be great too. Thomas Harley and Billy Constantinou are interesting as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@ChadS what are your thoughts on Mikko Kokkonen?

Just stat watching here, but he has better numbers than Heiskanen did in Liiga in his draft year already.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Logan Barlage is buried on the same team as Cozens, and I’ve heard really good things on the prospect board. Was a high pick and put up crazy numbers in Midget.

He’s playing as the 3C but is almost PPG, and has a nice skill set. RH too. Could be a good option for the late 1st or early 2nd.
Interesting. I like the idea of finding a gem in the shadow of a top 5 pick. I think Connor McMichael is another who might be available into round 2 maybe? If we're going to win games Im going to hope for Byram, then C/D combo in round 2 and hopeful for 3-4 picks in that round.

Combing over EP, this name caught my attention....Lucas Feuk. Feuk it!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2019 NHL Entry Draft Top 31: Is Jack Hughes' position as the projected first overall pick safe? | Sporting News

Pretty good article written recently by Sporting News regarding top 31 prospects.

....If the Wings don't get the #1 overall...I feel they can still walk away with an Ovechkin, Malkin, Laine or Pronger in the top 5.

That’s certainly optimistic. I don’t know that I would put Kakko or anyone else after Hughes on the level of Ovi, Malkin or Laine.

I think that Cozens or Dach are realistically more on the level of someone like Mark Scheifele or Nolan Patrick.

Byram is probably closer to someone like Ivan Provorov or Morgan Reilly.

The guys you listed were all superior prospects at the same age IMO.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
....If the Wings don't get the #1 overall...I feel they can still walk away with an Ovechkin, Malkin, Laine or Pronger in the top 5.

Yeah dont get your hopes up. How often does a player that good go 2nd overall even? I know 3 of these guys actually went second but one was 25 years ago and the other 2 were drafted 2nd behind what are likely the greatest goal scorers of their generations. To be fair, Laine isnt at the level of the rest of these players.

You can still get a really good core piece that isnt a borderlinegenerational player. The wings could walk away with a Getzlaf or a Schiefele from this top 5, Byram looks like he could be a number one dman, even if this article has him ranked later than most places. I didnt see Broberg when I quickly read it either.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Cozens trade Nyquist for a 2nd first, move up if needed get Byram then Lafreniere next year

Rebuild complete

Lafs Larkin Mantha
Rasmussen Cozens Zadina
Berggren Veleno AA

Chow Byram
Hronek Dekeyser
Mcissac xxx

Reactions: wingerdinger

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Cozens trade Nyquist for a 2nd first, move up if needed get Byram then Lafreniere next year

Rebuild complete

Lafs Larkin Mantha
Rasmussen Cozens Zadina
Berggren Veleno AA

Chow Byram
Hronek Dekeyser
Mcissac xxx

Who's in net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events