Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think, based on your first sentence, we're in agreement, then. We need to figure out how to draft enough elite wingers that we have spare Taylor Halls, or we need to start prioritizing guys who will be NHL Cs. Taking guys like Svechnikov over comparable Cs, and guys like G. Smith over literally anyone is not conducive to building a roster from your forwards out. I'm fine with deciding that we frankly suck at drafting and developing top level D, but falling back on a bunch of mid-range wingers just means we're going to spend a lot of years in limbo (until we happen to get lucky in the lottery in a year where there happens to be a McDavid or Hedman).

Go all in on Cs or go all in on D until we fix both (via drafting them or trading for them), but taking low ceiling or mid-6-at-best projected wingers *coughberrgrencough* because "BPA" or "well we suck at scouting everything else anyways, I guess" isn't a strategy.

I agree, I think that Detroit by going BPA will repeat history if they use stock piled picks to go with safe d-men like McIsaac and wingers. But I also think its too late to do much about it, as Detroit hasn't in nearly 2 decades been able to scout, draft, and develop an impact defenseman, and hoping they can overachieve and pick up 2 top pairing d-men that will be NHL ready before the current crop of new forwards are in the middle of their primes is betting on the losing horse.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Suzuki is an undersized
forward who may never translate to the NHL (read typical 2nd round pick) and Brannstrom hasn't played a single game on NA ice. This year they both would have likely gone in the 2nd round.

That’s a load of shit. Farabee just went 14th, and Suzuki is pretty damn similar (I like Suzuki’s upside better).

But this is all super OT, let’s get back to talking about ‘19 prospects... please.

I know it’s the off-season but there is a thread specifically for fixing the defense with some good plots on both sides in it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: BStinson

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Brad McEwen (scout for Hockey Canada) was on The Pipeline Show last week, he said 2 defenseman to keep an eye on for this upcoming season are Michael Vukojevic and Justin Barron.

I think Vukojevic will be a high pick is very likely to be a riser.
Vukojevic looks like he can be that rock steady defensive beast on the top pair. I’ll be really interested in tracking him this upcoming season.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
That’s a load of ****. Farabee just went 14th, and Suzuki is pretty damn similar (I like Suzuki’s upside better).

But this is all super OT, let’s get back to talking about ‘19 prospects... please.

I know it’s the off-season but there is a thread specifically for fixing the defense with some good plots on both sides in it already.
He is taller than Datsyuk , its mean , he is a big boy

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That’s a load of ****. Farabee just went 14th, and Suzuki is pretty damn similar (I like Suzuki’s upside better).

I would argue overall draft strategy in the next 3-5 drafts will be as, if not more important than any one pick that's made (barring a #1 overall). Detroit drafted 2 wingers and 3 forwards with their top draft picks in a draft that was deep in defensemen. A year out from the 2019 draft analysts are saying that it will be the year of the center, so I believe Detroit will need to decide its strategy not based on BPA, but what fits a multi-year strategy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
By all accounts, defenseman Philip Broberg is playing really well for Sweden at the Hlinka so far.

Sweden has 3 pretty good defenseman for the 19' draft between Bjornfot, Broberg, and Soderstrom. They are all strong skaters from the little bit I have seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin1578

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Matthew Robertson (D) and Dylan Cozens (C) have stood out in the little bit I have seen of these Hlinka games on TSN.

I am surprised Robertson is not ranked higher, looks like a top 10 type of talent to me.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Matthew Robertson (D) and Dylan Cozens (C) have stood out in the little bit I have seen of these Hlinka games on TSN.

I am surprised Robertson is not ranked higher, looks like a top 10 type of talent to me.

The defenseman for this draft are underrated.

Reactions: MBauer

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Button has Broberg #3 in his early top 5 for 2019.

1. Hughes
2. Cozens
3. Broberg
4. Kakko
5. Podkolzin

https://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/video/early-top-5-craig-s-list-for-the-2019-nhl-draft~1459629

That's hilarious. Total homer rank to have clickbaits. Broberg has never been a pointscorer before, then does 3+1 in one tournament, and the hype train is ready. Talk about a sample size.

Philip Broberg at eliteprospects.com

I understand this Podkolzin love, he looks nothing else than Datsyuk. Amazing guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's hilarious. Total homer rank to have clickbaits. Broberg has never been a pointscorer before, then does 3+1 in one tournament, and the hype train is ready. Talk about a sample size.

Philip Broberg at eliteprospects.com

I understand this Podkolzin love, he looks nothing else than Datsyuk. Amazing guy.

I like Button a lot, but he always does this where he puts way too much stock into international tournaments.

To his point, Broberg has had a real coming out party for Sweden in this tournament.

It’s not just stat-watching the kid is making multiple end to end rushes a game and creating lots of chances. Pretty special for a guy his size.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like Button a lot, but he always does this where he puts way too much stock into international tournaments.

To his point, Broberg has had a real coming out party for Sweden in this tournament.

It’s not just stat-watching the kid is making multiple end to end rushes a game and creating lots of chances. Pretty special for a guy his size.

I saw that rush highlights. But still the same thing about sample size. You can't just pull him to #3 over everybody. :D

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...try-draft-average-of-all-other-ranks.2527713/

When I did this average rank, from 7 different prospect ranks, Broberg was mentioned only once as 88th best. To get on my TOP50, the minimum was at least mentioned on 3 ranks and the average the position.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw that rush highlights. But still the same thing about sample size. You can't just pull him to #3 over everybody. :D

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...try-draft-average-of-all-other-ranks.2527713/

When I did this average rank, from 7 different prospect ranks, Broberg was mentioned only once as 88th best. To get on my TOP50, the minimum was at least mentioned on 3 ranks and the average the position.

Yeah, he’s probably too high. But he just popped onto the radar for the most part.

Looking at this highlight package, man this kid just straight up leaves people standing still.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He would like very nice on our blue line!

Wait, that guy is a defenseman? lol. I don't know anything about him/never heard of him but I just watched the quick highlight video above and assumed he was a forward lol.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I feel like with how stacked this draft class is going to be at forward there could be a good chance of some quality D falling into the middle of the first round.

I think getting an extra 1st in the 11-20 range could be huge for this draft. Trade off whoever we can before the deadline, and use as many of our picks as needed to move up as high as possible. Quality >Quantity should be the focus at this point.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The candid nature of the post tells me he's serious. He was the 3rd deepest man in the clip and attacked the play like a forward.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Broberg looks quite good, big, skates really well and smooth with the puck! Only one d-play really, but it looked like he didn't panic at all when switching from d to o.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad