LWDaniil Gutik6'3, RightRUS39.1735
CBrady Meyer6'5, LeftUSA41.1736
CJohn Beecher6'2, LeftUSA42.0037
CNikita Alexandrov5'11, LeftGER47.5038
C/LWAntti Saarela5'11, LeftFIN49.1739
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There is another guy from Halifax . He could be drafted early 1 st , huge center, ,not shy about fighting
Lavoie

finally I saw him yesterday vs Finland , he looks like Hollands pic: Mantha , Rasmussen . He actually I think has higher sealing than those two

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Stop lying right now.

Teams do not find as many or more top dmen after round one then they do in round one

Teams have 6x as many picks to accomplish it and yet they fail over and over and over to accomplish it.

Teams also do not acquire top dmen via trade year after year. At best one or two such players are dealt every 12 months, so for us maybe once every 15-31 years we can go that route.

Teams also typically resign their own top end dmen until they're in their 30's at which point who really cares about them anyhow.

The easiest and most direct way to acquire top end dmen is first, to draft them and second, to do so in the 1st round.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Stop lying right now.

Teams do not find as many or more top dmen after round one then they do in round one

Teams have 6x as many picks to accomplish it and yet they fail over and over and over to accomplish it.

Teams also do not acquire top dmen via trade year after year. At best one or two such players are dealt every 12 months, so for us maybe once every 15-31 years we can go that route.

Teams also typically resign their own top end dmen until they're in their 30's at which point who really cares about them anyhow.

The easiest and most direct way to acquire top end dmen is first, to draft them and second, to do so in the 1st round.

And when exactly should we of drafted a defenseman in the 1st ?

2017- Should we of reached for callan foote over Ras ?
2016- Possibly keep the pick and draft chychrun ?, TBD on cholo still
2015- Reach for juulsen over svech ?
2014- Draft Sanheim over Larkin ?
2013- Reach for Theodore when Mantha slipped ?

Or should it been this past draft and take Dobson over Zadina ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

On next draft I could see same instant replay happening. This time Bowen Byram goes at TOP4-5, and we draft at TOP1-2-3 a better forward (no-brainer) if we win the lottery, or outside the TOP5, when Byram is gone and it would be stupid to reach for the 2nd best defenceman.

Our pick range could just not hit again, and again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stop lying right now.

Ok, fine.

And when looking this latest list, it does seem that forward is always better or par with the 1st round defenceman picked.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
That is exactly what has happened, Everyone wants a defenseman for the team there is no denying that, but you can't pass up the value to do it. We can't afford to reach on a defenseman when there is a forward that is clearly better still available.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Chychrun is debatable, but we got both Cholowski and Hronek with that trade-down.

It could be the best move recently made for as upgrading our defensive kid core.

At 2019 draft, now 8/9 consensus TOP9 are forwards, 6 are centers. Very low proability to hit for Byram. Possible, but unprobabale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin1578

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Reading about Newhook... "St. John's NFLD native, captain of Victoria in BCHL, Boston College commit....."

Dude! Pick a coast!

Reactions: snailderby

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I believe it was the same year we traded for an established under 30 top pairing Dman....

I believe this thread is about next years draft

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Yes, and next year's draft like henkka said it looks like another year where we will be selecting a forward being there might not be in our pick range.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Watching the summer classic I am so bummed we don't have a shot at having both Hughes brothers... Mistake... Pulling for Zadina, but my word is Quinn a special player. We passed on the next Eric Karlsson, he is sooo much fun to watch. Trust the process though I guess, certainly Rasmussen embarrassed and continues to embarrass those trying to trash that pick so it could turn out I guess.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I also saw offensive greatness from Quinn, but also saw how his short reach, which wasn't enough to prevent that easy shot Canada did 5-1. His great skating wasn't going to match his low reach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I also saw offensive greatness from Quinn, but also saw how his short reach, which wasn't enough to prevent that easy shot Canada did 5-1. His great skating wasn't going to match his low reach.

He wasn't out there for a bunch of them though. I will live with one goal for the four he was creating a game. His D looked a heck of a lot better than what I saw out of Bouchard in this tournament, who was turned and beaten for speed straight down the middle a few times. I mean Dahlin isn't here, but Quinn Hughes has been easily the best D-man at this tournament. He is electrifying and controlling games.

I wish we would have gambled on the most exciting defensive prospect in a long time. He is a break the mold guy, just so smart and fun to watch play. Vancouver is going to be my second favorite team the day he shows up there. Sky is the limit and I hope he makes it there because he is the kind of guy worth buying NHL.tv for or paying to see in person at the rink.

Jack also has special qualities. It would be amazing if we win the lottery this year, he is a franchise player and an organizational changer day 1.

Reactions: njx9

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Watching the summer classic I am so bummed we don't have a shot at having both Hughes brothers... Mistake... Pulling for Zadina, but my word is Quinn a special player. We passed on the next Eric Karlsson, he is sooo much fun to watch. Trust the process though I guess, certainly Rasmussen embarrassed and continues to embarrass those trying to trash that pick so it could turn out I guess.

I'm one that was upset about drafting Rasmussen, only because I was hoping for Vilardi...but I'll be one to admit I was wrong and will eventually warm up to drafting him. Was just heated on that draft night. I have seen a couple of videos playing team Canada yesterday or earlier today and I liked what I've seen.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Yes, and next year's draft like henkka said it looks like another year where we will be selecting a forward being there might not be in our pick range.

Don't forget that there will always be the option of trading down for a decent defenseman drops while adding another first or second.

Reactions: snailderby

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
He wasn't out there for a bunch of them though. I will live with one goal for the four he was creating a game. His D looked a heck of a lot better than what I saw out of Bouchard in this tournament, who was turned and beaten for speed straight down the middle a few times. I mean Dahlin isn't here, but Quinn Hughes has been easily the best D-man at this tournament. He is electrifying and controlling games.

I wish we would have gambled on the most exciting defensive prospect in a long time. He is a break the mold guy, just so smart and fun to watch play. Vancouver is going to be my second favorite team the day he shows up there. Sky is the limit and I hope he makes it there because he is the kind of guy worth buying NHL.tv for or paying to see in person at the rink.

Jack also has special qualities. It would be amazing if we win the lottery this year, he is a franchise player and an organizational changer day 1.

If Zadina wouldn't have been there for the Wings...I would have loved to taken the chance on Hughes (even though, at the time of the draft, I was all for Bouchard..and glad that he got passed on after getting beat so much in the tournament). You don't pass on an opportunity like the Wings were given..as you already probably know.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Chychrun is debatable, but we got both Cholowski and Hronek with that trade-down.

It could be the best move recently made for as upgrading our defensive kid core.

At 2019 draft, now 8/9 consensus TOP9 are forwards, 6 are centers. Very low proability to hit for Byram. Possible, but unprobabale.

I'm still furious that the Wings passed on Chychrun...but what do I know.. I'm just an armchair GM. But Cholowski and Hronek could be a win though too.

I'm already all in for getting Byrum in the 2019 draft..unless an injury holds him back. Maybe add in Soderstrom too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad