Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brad McEwen (scout for Hockey Canada) was on The Pipeline Show last week, he said 2 defenseman to keep an eye on for this upcoming season are Michael Vukojevic and Justin Barron.

I think Vukojevic will be a high pick is very likely to be a riser.

Reactions: snailderby

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

His thread on the prospects board is definitely very intriguing. He definitely sounds like a a great 1D, with a Hronek or Cholo to complement him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Brad McEwen (scout for Hockey Canada) was on The Pipeline Show last week, he said 2 defenseman to keep an eye on for this upcoming season are Michael Vukojevic and Justin Barron.

Currently 24th on my average prospect rankings. 20th overall at highest.

We need another first from a trade for that pick range, or some crazy luck him to fall our 2nd rounder.

Of course, ranks can change, but hard to believe he would climb on the Top6.

Barron wasn't in any rank and I've collected 109 players there from 7 different ranks. He could definitely be a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Really liked what I saw out of Lavoie in the Summer Showcase. He stood out to me a lot on Halifax a lot this year too.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

We need another first from a trade for that pick range, or some crazy luck him to fall our 2nd rounder.

Kotkaniemi says hi. A lot can happen in a year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Detroit at this point should continue to draft forwards if there isn't a homerun pick on defense. Right now, any defenseman they need to develop more than a couple years, would unlikely be able to help the current forward core they are building to compete for a cup. Instead they should stock up on forwards and trade from a place of strength.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Barron wasn't in any rank and I've collected 109 players there from 7 different ranks. He could definitely be a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Barron is 2020.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Instead they should stock up on forwards and trade from a place of strength.

Those forwards better be all centers, if that's your plan. No one's giving up anything worth having for a bunch of middle 6 wingers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ryan Suzuki is definitely one of my early favorites.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
For a middle 6 winger.

They gave up a handful of picks that you want to use on more middle 6 wingers. If you're just going to use your forwards to churn forwards, you might as well get a treadmill and really commit to running in place.

No one's giving you a top 2 defender for any number of Tatars, and there's never going to be a "homerun defender" available in the range of picks you'd get for a Tatar.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They gave up a handful of picks that you want to use on more middle 6 wingers. If you're just going to use your forwards to churn forwards, you might as well get a treadmill and really commit to running in place.

No one's giving you a top 2 defender for any number of Tatars, and there's never going to be a "homerun defender" available in the range of picks you'd get for a Tatar.

No, but they will for a package that includes a top line winger (Hall) or top 6 center (Johasen) and a first round draft pick. Right now there are two things working against Detroit, and its time and their inability to scout and develop top defenders. And even if somehow they pick the next top pairing D man next season, the way defenders develop it will be 5 to 7 years (god forbid he's a late bloomer!) until he would be hitting his prime, at that point most of Detroit's current young forwards will be on the wrong side of theirs. On the other hand if they develop a strong forward core they can trade from a place of strength and secure a defender that will fit the timetable of their current set of players.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
No, but they will for a package that includes a top line winger (Hall) or top 6 center (Johasen) and a first round draft pick. Right now there are two things working against Detroit, and its time and their inability to scout and develop top defenders. And even if somehow they pick the next top pairing D man next season, the way defenders develop it will be 5 to 7 years (god forbid he's a late bloomer!) until he would be hitting his prime, at that point most of Detroit's current young forwards will be on the wrong side of theirs. On the other hand if they develop a strong forward core they can trade from a place of strength and secure a defender that will fit the timetable of their current set of players.

you know a strategies a bad one when you're advocating drafting more Wingers to "trade from a position of strength" and use the f***ing Taylor Hall trade as an example of how it can work out :laugh:

Reactions: odin1981

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
you know a strategies a bad one when you're advocating drafting more Wingers to "trade from a position of strength" and use the ****ing Taylor Hall trade as an example of how it can work out :laugh:

Taylor Hall that up until last season didn't put up world burning numbers. He averaged only a 0.75 ppg in the 200 games preceding last season. Which is good, but not exceptional production from a top line winger.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Taylor Hall that up until last season didn't put up world burning numbers. He averaged only a 0.75 ppg in the 200 games preceding last season. Which is good, but not exceptional production from a top line winger.

he had 2 consecutive years a few years ago where he was top 10 in the league in scoring and lead his team by a wide margin

he had some down years in the interim but him producing well is hardly a new thing

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
he had 2 consecutive years a few years ago where he was top 10 in the league in scoring and lead his team by a wide margin

he had some down years in the interim but him producing well is hardly a new thing

He had multiple down years, to the point that Edmonton fans were more than happy to part with him. Even all of his good years he's only has a sub 0.9 ppg. In the last 4 seasons he's ranked 25th in ppg. He's good, but again, he's not world burning. The Wings, if they continue to draft top 10 and accumulate draft picks should have a few very good forwards, both center and wing, and should be able to trade for a good defender. Its either that or hope against hope that Detroit 1. lucks into a spot where they can get a surefire #1 D-man, 2. Develop that player to be a top pairing D-man almost right away and 3. draft that player in the next 3 drafts. Because failing that, with how normal defensemen develop in the league any players drafted 2019 or later will likely not be an impact D-man before Detroit's forward core starts to hit the wrong side of their primes.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

I think, based on your first sentence, we're in agreement, then. We need to figure out how to draft enough elite wingers that we have spare Taylor Halls, or we need to start prioritizing guys who will be NHL Cs. Taking guys like Svechnikov over comparable Cs, and guys like G. Smith over literally anyone is not conducive to building a roster from your forwards out. I'm fine with deciding that we frankly suck at drafting and developing top level D, but falling back on a bunch of mid-range wingers just means we're going to spend a lot of years in limbo (until we happen to get lucky in the lottery in a year where there happens to be a McDavid or Hedman).

Go all in on Cs or go all in on D until we fix both (via drafting them or trading for them), but taking low ceiling or mid-6-at-best projected wingers *coughberrgrencough* because "BPA" or "well we suck at scouting everything else anyways, I guess" isn't a strategy.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Glass, Suzuki, and Brannstrom is great drafting for being in a “weak” draft...0

Suzuki is an undersized forward who may never translate to the NHL (read typical 2nd round pick) and Brannstrom hasn't played a single game on NA ice. This year they both would have likely gone in the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad