Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Dach looked like Getzlaf, so there we go. Without any high picks we have to choose between "Eric Staal" or "Ryan Getzlaf". Or If you somehow end up winning the lottery, you take the "Patrick Kane" who plays at center.

Not a bad draft. :)
True, but I'd prefer to not have to then trade that Patrick Kane who plays at center to finally get some significant help on defense. Time will tell.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
True, but I'd prefer to not have to then trade that Patrick Kane who plays at center to finally get some significant help on defense. Time will tell.

Youre right, only Jack Hughes can be traded to get help on D... or you draft the elite number one center and part ways with some of the other forwards in the system

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Dach looked like Getzlaf, so there we go. Without any high picks we have to choose between "Eric Staal" or "Ryan Getzlaf". Or If you somehow end up winning the lottery, you take the "Patrick Kane" who plays at center.

Not a bad draft. :)

To be fair, I've started hearing the question of if he can play center in the NHL slowly creep into the conversation. Could just be size bias, could be legit criticism. Doesn't change the fact that he's has the potential to be an elite talent.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Youre right, only Jack Hughes can be traded to get help on D... or you draft the elite number one center and part ways with some of the other forwards in the system
Right here, right now...what package of existing forwards and/or picks do you think Detroit could trade for a potential top pair defenseman? Because half the board disagreed when it was just Mantha in a proposal, and he probably wouldn't be enough by himself to begin with.

The Wings can have all the good forwards they like, but if they don't start drafting some high ceiling blue liners, they'll end up paying through the nose for it, if it happens at all.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Right here, right now...what package of existing forwards and/or picks do you think Detroit could trade for a potential top pair defenseman? Because half the board disagreed when it was just Mantha in a proposal, and he probably wouldn't be enough by himself to begin with.

The Wings can have all the good forwards they like, but if they don't start drafting some high ceiling blue liners, they'll end up paying through the nose for it, if it happens at all.

Mantha for one could be a good part of a package. Rasmussen a top 10 pick likely has value that could be a part of a package. They just picked 4 guys in the top 36, those guys have value. Zadina could be part of a package. If they draft Hughes, Larkin could be part of a package. Draft picks could be part of a package.

You dont think a package of Mantha, Cholowski/Hronek/McIsaac and a pick could land a pretty high quality dman? I do.

But I do agree they would be better off just drafting a couple high end dmen. What I wouldnt do is pass on a Zadina like talent just for the sake of taking a defenseman. Hell you get a guy like Hughes, you could trade Zadina for a top D. I'm sur ehe has the value to get it done. The wings are better off with Hughes than any dman.

If you held a gun to a Toronto fans head and asked if they had to get rid of one of Matthews or Rielly who would it be? 99% kick Rielly to the curb

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What I wouldnt do is pass on a Zadina like talent just for the sake of taking a defenseman.
I agree with the majority of your response. Here is where we differ, but only because we have very different evaluations of the players involved, which is fine. (I think Zadina is of a talent level roughly equivalent to several other players taken 3-10, while Dobson will be as talented an NHL player, but at a position of greater need. But again, life goes on.)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree with the majority of your response. Here is where we differ, but only because we have very different evaluations of the players involved, which is fine. (I think Zadina is of a talent level roughly equivalent to several other players taken 3-10, while Dobson will be as talented an NHL player, but at a position of greater need. But again, life goes on.)

I suppose and DObson might turn out better, but I also think he has some recency bias working for him. People saw him play late in the season and play well on a big stage in the mem cup so his value is a little higher than it should be amongst fans. Zadina was universally considered a top 3 talent in that draft, top 4 for sure. Dobson was the 4th dman taken all the way down at 12th. Why did NHL scouting departments let him slip that far? 4th dman in the draft vs what shouldve been at worst the 4th player taken overall. I do think theres a difference there in talent, and like you said its because we evaluate the talents differently I guess.

I woulda been fine with Dobson at 6 if the draft had shaken out how it should have. But ith a guy like Zadina there it was a no brainer pick in my eyes

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit
Just got around to watching some Hlinka footage. Cozens might be something special. It sure seems like he can do it all, and he's a right-handed center with serious size. He's certainly not a dark horse anymore...

He looks legit. Will definitely try to follow him this season although I have never been able to watch WHL games online.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interestingly Draper mentioned Hughes yesterday but then added those "big-sized centers".

So they are targeting Dach, Cozens and Lavoie if not winning the lottery. All big and righties at current top10 ranks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Finally we get Bob’s first list...

Surprised to see Turcotte outside of the top 10. Early favorites are Cozens, Dach, Suzuki, Turcotte, and Broberg. Hughes is a given.

Kakko and Podkolzin are talented, but I like the centers better. I think one of the Swedish defenseman left off this list could make their way into the top 10 (Bjornfot or Soderstrom).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Finally we get Bob’s first list...

Surprised to see Turcotte outside of the top 10. Early favorites are Cozens, Dach, Suzuki, Turcotte, and Broberg. Hughes is a given.

Kakko and Podkolzin are talented, but I like the centers better. I think one of the Swedish defenseman left off this list could make their way into the top 10 (Bjornfot or Soderstrom).

Moronic list.

Just to create discussion, why is this here and that there....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Moronic list.

You're perfectly entitled to disagree with the list, but of all the media members covering scouting, McKenzie is probably the least prone to hyperbole or sensationalism. (And when it's this far away from the actual draft, I don't know that anybody's list is significantly more sensible than the rest, because a lot will change.)

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It’s the only list with input from actual NHL scouts... it’s far from moronic.

Maybe nearer the draft when he'll get his inside info, but at this time of year, don't believe for it at all.

Populism on play.

Button list is made same way, he just throws other players on different positions.

Create buzz.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Moronic list.

Eh I disagree. Go on the prospects forum and listent o what a lot of the guys who follow the prospects are saying and its not that far off. Some guys might be a little higher or lower but this is most of the guys expected to go in these areas next year.

As for this draft, seems like a good one to suck. Lots of high end centers, which is who I would bet on the wings drafting because I dont think the D are considered that special. Wings need to try to load up on more picks and take some D later in the draft though. Having the chance at a Cozens would be a really nice consolation proze if they cant land Hughes

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Maybe nearer the draft when he'll get his inside info, but at this time of year, don't believe for it at all.

Populism on play.

Button list is made same way, he just throws other players on different positions.

Create buzz.

It is obviously less relevant than late-season rankings, but it is still nice to see who the scouting community is focusing on at this point in the season. Some of these guys will rise and some will fall and be replaced by guys not on the list. That is just the nature of 17-18 year old hockey players.

I agree though that there is a ton of development time between now and draft day.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was a bit surprised to see Dach come in outside of the top 10. He has 7 pts in his first 2 games far and had a great Hlinka.

Lassi Thomson is a name to keep an eye on. Finnish defenseman playing for Kelowna in the WHL. Think he could be a riser.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

There's a lot of good players in this draft it seems. We better have another first for a defenseman if we take a forward early.

If we were to get Cozens (assuming he lives up to the hype), in 2 years running an offense with Mantha, Larkin, Zadina, Rasmussen, Cozens, Bertuzzi, AA (+Veleno, Berggren, Svechnikov maybe) could be pretty good.

Our defense might still be horrible though. I don't see how we're going to address that. Trading for more picks is a good start, but taking Cozens or any other forward with ito top 10 has a high cost. It might be worth paying like with Zadina this year, but we have to keep it in mind.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I actually prefer Dach to Cozens the more I have watched both guys. I think Dach has a little higher ceiling.

I like them both a lot. I like Cozens better overall as of now, but drafting Dach would be great because he’s such a good passer and playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad