2019 NHL Draft, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Read through his prospect thread and I'm liking what I'm reading.

Anyone have an in depth analysis on Heinola? He just turned 18 and he's put up similar numbers to Heiskanen in the SM-Liga while reportedly excelling in ththe defensive zone

Will be interesting to see who ends up better between Söderström and Heinola, they’re clearly the two best defenceman after Byrum in the draft imo

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Not disagreeing with you but you might want to add a side note saying that we didnt have a 2nd rnd pick in

2016, 2015,2013,2011,2010
I’d be interested to see a list of success rates on the picks we traded and what other teams got out of them. 14’s 36th overall turned into Rasmus Andersson for Calgary, he looks pretty good bottom pairing defenceman in his first NHL season. Whereas Rasmus Asplund 16’s pick which was moved from us to Florida and again to Buffalo hasn’t really made the move to NHL hockey yet.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Don't draft based on the team you have *right now*. Ever. Just draft the best players possible, sort out positional needs later with the talent surplus you accumulate by drafting the best players at your picks.

It's a massive gamble to take the "safe" players at the top end of the draft, just like it was a huge gamble to not take the most skilled player in 14 or 16.
Everytime someone brings this up I always see us as the Coilers trading Hall for Larsson more so than the Preds/Jackets in Jones for Johansen type deals. I want to agree, but history(especially under Dim) has proven that we rarely if ever win trades.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Everytime someone brings this up I always see us as the Coilers trading Hall for Larsson more so than the Preds/Jackets in Jones for Johansen type deals. I want to agree, but history(especially under Dim) has proven that we rarely if ever win trades.

Drouin for Sergachev is a good example.

I'd also argue that teams like Calgary used their strong collection of young forwards to deal their picks to acquire Hamilton (and subsequently Hanafin/Lindholm) and Hamonic.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Will be interesting to see who ends up better between Söderström and Heinola, they’re clearly the two best defenceman after Byrum in the draft imo

Whats the knock on Heinola?

From what I've read and seen (limited), he seems like he could be better than BB. Would take him over Soderstrom in a heartbeat. Canucks should grab him if he's there at 10.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Don't draft based on the team you have *right now*. Ever. Just draft the best players possible, sort out positional needs later with the talent surplus you accumulate by drafting the best players at your picks.

It's a massive gamble to take the "safe" players at the top end of the draft, just like it was a huge gamble to not take the most skilled player in 14 or 16.
In principle, yes, but it's not that simple. They wouldn't be drafting based on their current team, they would be drafting based on a massive need that is currently plaguing their prospect pool and will effect their future team. To ignore this would be a major oversight in their longterm team-building. And the whole BPA available thing is really only relevant when there is a noticeable gap between players and that gap becomes less relevant as the first round goes on. Obviously, you're not going to pass on J. Hughes for Byram, just because you're lacking blueliners, but if it's the difference between a center like Krebs, a winger like Boldy or a defenseman like Soderstrom, all of whom are completely interchangeable on most draft boards, team need does figure prominently in the decision. If the Canucks see Boldy and Caufield as fairly similar in their potential, there's no reason they can't draft the heavier player in an effort to help insulate the skilled talent they already have.

For instance, does David Poille always draft BPA? You can't convince me that every single time Nashville walked up to the podium, the best player on the board was a defensemen. Instead, they mandated internally that they would invest significantly in the drafting and development of defensemen and it has done them nothing but good. There were probably a few players their scouts could make an argument for as BPA but the scouting department had a clear initiative that has ended up benefiting them in the long run.

Size and strong two way play on the wings.... like Virtanen?
Yes because, henceforth, the Canucks should pass on all power wingers because Virtanen didn't work out. Sounds smart.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’d be interested to see a list of success rates on the picks we traded and what other teams got out of them. 14’s 36th overall turned into Rasmus Andersson for Calgary, he looks pretty good bottom pairing defenceman in his first NHL season. Whereas Rasmus Asplund 16’s pick which was moved from us to Florida and again to Buffalo hasn’t really made the move to NHL hockey yet.
Can’t really control what the other team does with the pick. Canucks kept their 2014 2nd and it became Demko. Anderson was the 2015 pick for Sven so that pick was 53?

2016, who knows what the Canucks do. Plenty of options there.

2013 that was for Derek Roy.
2011 Canucks traded down to Min to pick up the Wilds 3rd and 4th rounders. Grabbed Honzig a G and Labate a F.
2010 that should be for Steve Bernier

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Keep in mind Benning/Brackett have favoured shooters (amongst forwards) and offensive potential higher - no reason to believe that will change considering how successful the last two drafts look (not to mention Boeser who could shoot above all else).

That should narrow down our list of potential draftees.

I used to think this, until they drafted Hughes high. I’m not sure there is a dogmatic approach to targeting shooters. High skill level seems to be the thing.

In that regard, Zegras being available at 10 would be a pleasant surprise.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Keep in mind Benning/Brackett have favoured shooters (amongst forwards) and offensive potential higher - no reason to believe that will change considering how successful the last two drafts look (not to mention Boeser who could shoot above all else).

That should narrow down our list of potential draftees.
They also have only drafted players with four or five letters in their first names under Benning in the 1st round. Jake, Jared, Brock, Olli, Elias, Quinn.

This draft doesn't have a lot of players in our range with four or five letter first names so that should narrow it down to only a few names. Lets assume Kirby, Alex (Turcotte), and Dylan are gone which narrows it down to the following

Cole Caufield
Alex Newhook
Bobby Brink
Ville Heinola

Matt(hew) Boldy is the wildcard based on if he prefers to be called Matt or Matthew.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I used to think this, until they drafted Hughes high. I’m not sure there is a dogmatic approach to targeting shooters. High skill level seems to be the thing.

In that regard, Zegras being available at 10 would be a pleasant surprise.

To me, there was a significant philosophical shift after the 2016 draft. Until then there were a lot of "big guys who could really rip the puck"...then starting in 2017 you had guys like Rathbone and Palmu being taken late, and Pettersson has a wicked shot now but he was drafted as a generally high-skilled guy.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Whats the knock on Heinola?

another sub 6 foot defender. If we continue this, we will end up with a small group of defence with 5'10 Stetcher, 5'9 Hughes and 5'11 Heinola. Jet Woo 6'0. that being said he is being talked about more and more by Canuck fans and some of them like yourself have him ahead of Soderstrom. He is jumping on peoples radars now.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Drouin for Sergachev is a good example.

I'd also argue that teams like Calgary used their strong collection of young forwards to deal their picks to acquire Hamilton (and subsequently Hanafin/Lindholm) and Hamonic.
You just outlined trades by two of the best GM’s in the league (or at least soon to be back in Yzerman) I really wanna say yeah for sure you’ve got something there. But when I consider Dim making these moves, I always expect a 1st and 2nd for a Guddy. As that’s exactly what he’s done. I want to be optimistic about this team, the couple of core pieces are really nice. But the management and direction is awful and I just expect the worst now and haven’t been disappointed yet.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Can’t really control what the other team does with the pick. Canucks kept their 2014 2nd and it became Demko. Anderson was the 2015 pick for Sven so that pick was 53?

2016, who knows what the Canucks do. Plenty of options there.

2013 that was for Derek Roy.
2011 Canucks traded down to Min to pick up the Wilds 3rd and 4th rounders. Grabbed Honzig a G and Labate a F.
2010 that should be for Steve Bernier
Demko was 15 bud. It’s not hard to look up. 36th overall was for Bae which became Andersson. I remember because in that lead up to the draft Andersson was a guy discussed as a 2nd round pick here.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Demko was 15 bud. It’s not hard to look up. 36th overall was for Bae which became Andersson. I remember because in that lead up to the draft Andersson was a guy discussed as a 2nd round pick here.
Demko was 14. Not hard to look up bud

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I've been high on Heinola for a while and his performance at the U18's could even see him jump to the point where he get's picked before 10. If he's there for us I happily take him.

Has anyone been watching what Heiskanen's been doing for the Stars this year and in this first round? He's arguably been the best defenseman in the series against Nashville. Heinola doesn't have the same elite skating, but could turn into a similar player.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We can't plan our future around Jim and how he loses every trade because there's no way he's around for even two more years, let alone the 3 or 4 it'd be before a trade like that would be made. It's also impossible to predict what our team needs will be in 3-4 years.

Even without the above two, we still need high end talent at every position, we only have four good young players. I don't see the point in drafting for need here.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Here it is: EXCLUSIVE: EliteProspects Top 93 Skaters 2019 NHL Draft Ranking

They rank Zegras at 21, this is going to be one of the most exciting drafts to watch because it will be so unpredictable. I can definitely see a lot of unexpected players get picked within the top 10. Teams always put a premium on Centers and defenceman in drafts and its usually wingers that slip. Anyhow, I hope Canucks draft either Newhook, Brink, Caufield, or Boldy.

Boldy seems to be the choice, he excels in all facets of the game: playmaking, scoring, skating, size and would fit perfectly next to EP or Horvat.

Could not disagree more on zegras, the media scouts often perplex me, this will be another one to revisit. Last time i disagreed so strongly with a ranking was with pronman's ranking of pettersson.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
If Zegras and Boldy are gone in the top 9, would seriously look at Heinloa or Soderstrom for our pick.

U18's will be fun to watch.

I don’t think it would be unreasonable to take either of those dmen regardless of whether those two are still available

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You just outlined trades by two of the best GM’s in the league (or at least soon to be back in Yzerman) I really wanna say yeah for sure you’ve got something there. But when I consider Dim making these moves, I always expect a 1st and 2nd for a Guddy. As that’s exactly what he’s done. I want to be optimistic about this team, the couple of core pieces are really nice. But the management and direction is awful and I just expect the worst now and haven’t been disappointed yet.

Oh I don't think Jim Benning is smart enough to make competent moves by dealing from positions of strength that he created through good drafting. But it's what good GMs do and that's where the bar should be. We should expect good things and be pissed off when they can't accomplish them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Maybe use Google rather than rely on your memory. It's not hard to look up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad