Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Washington 6th​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PlayerPos. Nat. Team'19-'20 commitmentNotes
Jack Hughes C USAU.S. National Team Development Program
Kaapo KakkoRW FINTPS Turku
Bowen ByramD CANVancouver GiantsCHLHighest-ranked defenseman in the draft. Probably a Blackhawk or Av on draft day.
Alex TurcotteC/LW USAU.S. National Team Development Program University of Wisconsin
Vasily Podkolzin RW RUSSKA St. Petersburg
Dylan Cozens C CANLethbridge HurricanesCHL
Kirby DachC CANSaskatoon BladesCHL
Peyton Krebs C CANKootenay IceCHLPoint totals depressed by dint of playing on a terrible team. Led said terrible team in scoring by 16 points.
Named team captain at 17
Trevor ZegrasC/LWUSA U.S. National Team Development ProgramBoston University
Matthew BoldyLW USAU.S. National Team Development ProgarmBoston College
Cole CaufieldRW USAU.S. National Team Development ProgramUniversity of Wisconsin+ Broke Phil Kessel's USNTDP goal-scoring record of 105. One of the best pure goalscorers in the draft.

- Is generously listed at 5'6
Arthur KaliyevRW USA Hamilton BulldogsCHL+ Scored 50 goals in the OHL as a 17-year-old, a feat only accomplished in recent memory by Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jeff Skinner, and Alex DeBrincat

- Significant concerns about compete level

Uzbekistani-born, but raised and apprenticed in the U.S. (NY / Michigan)
Victor SöderströmD SWEBrynäsBrynäs
Alex NewhookC CAN Victoria GrizzliesBoston College
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I wanna be like I know this guy and this guy, but to be completely honest.
I am going into this draft mostly blank. I know byram hughes and kakko, and maybe Cole Caufield and that's about it for me.

Can somebody sell me on the other top prospects?

Thanks guys!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I dont see Soderstrom as a "reach". Hes a betted player RN than Boqvist was last year. Hes a good D prospect.

Also, Kirby Dach isnt going to fall to us. Far more skilled, better skater, far more upside than Lawson Crouse. If Kotkaniemi & Strome are any example, big offensive C's dont last long.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
So if we go with McKenzie's latest rankings; Huges, Kakko, Podz, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Broberg, Soderstrom, Krebs. As the top 12 picks, we'll be getting one of them. Looking like Boldy will most likely be right there when we pick. Honestly, if I had to chose between Boldy, Caufield or Krebs, I'd have to go with Krebs. Boldy spent a good chunk of time on a line with Hughes and Zegras ... inflated number??? Caufield is the absolute wild card of the draft. Could he pan out to be Debrincat 2.0??? Krebs is an exciting play maker, who has off the charts character and leadership. Will it translate to the next level??? Them's my 2 cents.

Reactions: nucks88

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
All I know is that the only defenseman the Canucks should consider drafting with their pick is Bowen Byram(no chance he's there at 9/10 though). The forwards that will be available are better prospects than the defensemen that will be available and taking a defenseman at 9/10 will be Juolevi/Tkachuk all over again.

Reactions: Cupless44

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
So if we go with McKenzie's latest rankings; Huges, Kakko, Podz, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Broberg, Soderstrom, Krebs. As the top 12 picks, we'll be getting one of them. Looking like Boldy will most likely be right there when we pick. Honestly, if I had to chose between Boldy, Caufield or Krebs, I'd have to go with Krebs. Boldy spent a good chunk of time on a line with Hughes and Zegras ... inflated number??? Caufield is the absolute wild card of the draft. Could he pan out to be Debrincat 2.0??? Krebs is an exciting play maker, who has off the charts character and leadership. Will it translate to the next level??? Them's my 2 cents.

I personally think Zegras/Boldy and even Hughes stats are a bit inflated. They are literally a team of All-Stars at that level. Caufield is probably the best goal scorer in the draft, but his size will still scare off teams.

Also, we have to consider which player works the best with our young core.

Krebs has the highest compete level in the draft. He's also top 3 in hockey IQ. Played on a horrendous Kootenay team but still led the team in scoring at 17. Named Captain at 17.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I personally think Zegras/Boldy and even Hughes stats are a bit inflated. They are literally a team of All-Stars at that level. Caufield is probably the best goal scorer in the draft, but his size will still scare off teams.

Also, we have to consider which player works the best with our young core.

Krebs has the highest compete level in the draft. He's also top 3 in hockey IQ. Played on a horrendous Kootenay team but still led the team in scoring at 17. Named Captain at 17.

Compete level is huge for me. It's why I'm so wary of Kaliyev. I want a player who will play with a chip on his shoulder and want to prove people right/wrong every game.

It's why I like Caufield, he has that.

Reactions: Szechwan

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Compete level is huge for me. It's why I'm so wary of Kaliyev. I want a player who will play with a chip on his shoulder and want to prove people right/wrong every game.

It's why I like Caufield, he has that.

Kaliyev has something you can't teach, which is goal-scoring ability. But backchecking is a foreign subject to him.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Kaliyev's stats are pretty eye-popping for a guy who isn't getting much hype and seems to be sitting solidly outside of the top-10. Purely from his stats he seems like he should be getting way more love: 50g, 100p, big body, highest production on his own team by far, fairly young for his draft year.

I'm completely ignorant here, can someone help me understand his flaws? What are the major knocks against him? Bad skating? Bad attitude? Lazy penalties? Uncoachable? Unsustainable production?

I see backchecking and compete level mentioned above but that can't be all of his flaws.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Lord help us if our compensation for slogging through this season is Broberg or Soderstrom.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lord help us if our compensation for slogging through this season is Broberg or Soderstrom.

I agree completely. Rebuilding is painful to watch, but we are supposed to be rewarded with (at least I think) a top five pick.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I'm not sure it could be any worse than the 2015-16 season where went into the draft with 5 picks and our top one was Olli Juolevi. And quite possibly we'll get 0 good NHL players out of it.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Kaliyev's stats are pretty eye-popping for a guy who isn't getting much hype and seems to be sitting solidly outside of the top-10.

I see backchecking and compete level mentioned above but that can't be all of his flaws.
He's also a poor skater- especially in terms of speed. But all he does is put up points. For all the goal-scoring hype, Kaliyev also has more assists than any other CHL prospect for the draft.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
All I know is that the only defenseman the Canucks should consider drafting with their pick is Bowen Byram(no chance he's there at 9/10 though). The forwards that will be available are better prospects than the defensemen that will be available and taking a defenseman at 9/10 will be Juolevi/Tkachuk all over again.

Maybe. Soderstrom is comparable, IMO, to some of the lower end forwards within the top10.

If the Canucks could get one of Zegras, Boldy or Soderstrom, it will be a decent draft.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The top7 should shake out as what you have listed there. Boldy, I suspect, will go right afterwards. Zegras is hard to place in terms of a mock. Could go as high as pick #5, or drop to pick #10.

Have to hope for 1 surprise pick in the top8, which should push one of Zegras/Boldy to pick #9 (assuming the Canucks pick at #9).

Reactions: Zombotron

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I'd go for boldy, zegras, or krebs at 9 all of them could fit nicely in the top line lw spot.
Would love for the Canucks to get another pick in the mid first and grab Thomas harley, kid is an August birthday so one of the youngest in the draft and had a pretty good season in the ohl

The Designer

Dec 22, 2013
Sydney
How about taking a defensemen in the second? Someone like Lassi Thomson I think would be a nice addition if available.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Put me on record as saying my potato instincts are drawing me towards Yegor Afanasyev and Robert Mastrosimone if we're going to draft USHL sleepers

lawrence

May 19, 2012
now that it looks like we won't draft 8, and 9, very likely Zegras will be off the books.

just saw some videos on Boldy and I do not like his skating at all, in fact, everything does not point to him as a play driver but a all around good decision making support winger. his skating is quite ugly. Personally not a fan of a player like this with such a high pick. I am now wanting Krebs and hopes someone like Zegras is available. ultimately winning the lottery will make my day, oh please hockey gods.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Krebs is the choice at 9, he's like a more skilled Bo Horvat.

Higher risk/higher reward players are Bobby Brink and Alex Newhook.

Brink in particular, has scored a better pace than Kyle Connor in draft year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

a great video, but because of this video I like Boldy less actually.

Boldy makes a lot of good decisions, BUT was on a stacked team, Zegras better skater, better stick handler, but I think he's gone. Boldy skating looks horrendous, although he's good, I rather have Krebs. but of course I trust Bracketts decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad